What Were Some of Your Life Changing Moments?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Of course, Number 1 for me was having my daughter.

I think # 2 was going back to college at age 23, and not goofing off like I did before. ( I had dropped out my junior year) I did, and ended up making the Dean's list and graduating. I needed to mature a bit to take college seriously, to achieve my goal to be a special needs teacher.

#3-Let me think a bit................

Joining the Royal Marines. My career path had been pre-planned for me - by my father - and having left high school with a clutch of academic qualifications I was set to go to uni after the summer vacation. Except, I didn't go. One day in August my best mate, who had joined the RMs, and knew I wasn't keen on another three years of academia, convinced me, without too much difficulty, to talk to the recruiting office. That was it. I passed the entrance tests and departed on 32 weeks of training. Boy was that hard. Over 80% of the intake never made it through!

I didn't tell my parents for some weeks. I was dreading the ructions that were bound to burst forth. When I did, I did it by telephone from the safety of the barracks in Plymouth. There were quite a few words said and I vowed not to visit home again until I had earned the Royal Marines green beret, awarded to those who successfully complete the course.

The next time I saw my parents, was at our passing out parade - I never thought they would come. I knew then that I had been forgiven for making that 'rash' decision. I'll never forget the look of pride in my dad's eyes when we shook hands and hugged after the parade. As for mum, well, she seemed to be worried about my weight loss. Bless her.

Yep. That decision back in August was one hell of a life changing moment. To think, I could have been a captain of industry. :eek:

There have been other life changing moments since then, but perhaps we'll come back to those.

when i lost my virginity....

when i left the southern baptist chruch

when i became a pagan

the first time i saw my husband

the first time i saw my son

when my son went to kingergarden and look so alone...

when my father died.

when one of my closet friend from childhood died from treatments for a disease that you do not die of

Ive had alot though some were not that momentous but very influencial:

The day I picked my college major
The day I recognized the Holy Spirit
The day I took the LSATs
The day I argued my first case.

Im sure there are alot of little ones there. We al make choices everyday that change our lives little by little. Im looking forward to making many more.

I think # 2 was going back to college at age 23, and not goofing off like I did before. ( I had dropped out my junior year) I did, and ended up making the Dean's list and graduating. I needed to mature a bit to take college seriously, to achieve my goal to be a special needs teacher.

#3-Let me think a bit................

My son being born, definitely. I also got into some almost serious trouble back in 2003, and I got extremely lucky in the end. Without going into it, I'm a changed person because of it. But after the son was born, it all fell into place.

That's cool that you're a special needs teacher, my girl has been taking care of special needs people for years now. She's about to graduate nursing school on Tuesday, and she hopes to land a job somewhere in that same field. It's amazing how little special needs caretakers get paid. At least now she'll be paid what she's worth. She's brought autistic kids who wouldn't communicate with ANYONE, out of their shells, and got them to to start talking. She's one of a kind.

#3-Let me think a bit................Ah yes. Has to be Bootneck. Oh boy. Does he give me goosebumps. Tall, handsome, sexy as hell...and that uniform...mmmmmm so dishy. Life will never be the same again now that he has appeared.

:woohoo: Here to serve ma'am. :salute:

When I was born.

That was lifechanging...suddenly I was able to use my lungs to obtain oxygen!

The first time I told my mother that I would not, under any circumstances, eat liver and onions. It's a funny thing. After that defining moment I would eat all of the liver and onions that was placed in front of me until I got too big for my mother to beat me about the head and shoulders...:lol:

The first time I told my mother that I would not, under any circumstances, eat liver and onions. It's a funny thing. After that defining moment I would eat all of the liver and onions that was placed in front of me until I got too big for my mother to beat me about the head and shoulders...:lol:

That must have been offal, BBD. :eek:

I think we have many of those moments in our lives. One that sticks in my mind at the moment was walking out of the court house in San Bernardino, Ca. I was eighteen and free. I knew in my heart God had set me free. I had been in an abusive marriage for a little over three years. When I had gone into the courthouse for the divorce hearing it was overcast and I was as nervous as could be. I rode in the elevator up to the floor where the courtrooms were with two very large black men. They had stepped into the elevator right behind me and the door shut. I did not get nervous about that until one made a comment to the other about how cute I was. By the time I got into the courtroom I was a nervous wreck. This was back in the day "do it yourself" divorces were still a new thing. I had been waiting for months for this day and I was scared to death of my soon to be ex. He was like being near a time bomb that you never knew when it would go off.

I sat at the back of the gallery so I could watch and see if the ex came into the courtroom. The room was full of people. My case was called first. I thought oh great. I was hoping I would get to watch someone else to see how this was all done before it was my turn.

Then I decided this might be a good thing I don't have to wait for everyone else. I walked up to where the man by the judge instructed me and sat in the seat where one testifies. I am sitting there looking back at the gallery of people and getting very nervous. Something like stage fright.

Then the judge started asking me questions. After a round of questions I'm thinking, this ain't to bad. I started to relax a bit as the judge read through my paperwork and asked his questions. My responses were yes sir and no sir. There was a slew of questions about the last few months of support, visits and the children and such. Then he asked, "Does Mr.... have a job?" I told him that I was unsure at the moment and explained what I knew from the latest news I had on him. Then the judge asked, "Is Mr.... physically handicapped?" I told him no sir not that I know of. Then he asked, "Is Mr... mentally impaired?" I said, well your honor if you ask me. The whole gallery of people started laughing. I must have turned twenty shades of red. The judge picked up his gavel and pounded it on his desk to silence the crowd. The judge real off his order so fast I could not understand what he said. Then he turned to me and said, "Young lady. I want you to go home and add up everything it takes you and your children to live on each month. Do not forget to add toothpaste, toilet paper and other needs you and the children have each month. Do you understand me? I answered yes sir. He said after you get that done you come back and see me, okay. I said yes sir and then I was instructed to go by the court guy. Before I moved though I looked at the judge and he said Is something wrong? I asked him, does that mean I divorce now? He said yes.

I walked out of the court room, got into the elevator and felt as light as air. When I walked out of the building I walked into the sunshine. I felt like I was free for the first time ever. I thanked God for setting me free.

When out Government killed our President in 1963
for attemting to end the Vietnam War.

When the 75% of Coward Americans sent me
and 2.1 MIllion other Americans to Vietnam.

The only reason I can figure is Presidents LBJ and Nixon
had an object stuck up their butt.
Anyone else have an idea ?

How about WAR is good for business.
When America ended it's involvement in Nam
we went immediately into a recession.
Proves that point.

Baltimore Bob

When I was 9 years old my mother, younger brother, 12 year old cousin, and I were ambushed, with my mother being hit four times, out of the thirteen shots fired by the ambushers, and not being able to do anything to stop it.

Shoving the barrel of a hand gun into a mans face and pulling the trigger was pretty life changing for me. It made me realize how capable I was was of losing control of myself.
Had I remembered to remove the safety first, it probably would have been even more life changing.

My first child changed my life immensely. She made me realize how capable I was of unconditional love. My second child reinforced that.

The death of my sister was a catalyst for many life changing events. I was 26 and she was 27 when she died. I hope nobody else ever has to make the decision to pull the life support plug on somebody so young.

Forum List

Back