What Went Wrong with GOP Voter Suppression

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
Since the 2010 election, Republicans passed new voting restrictions in more than a dozen states aimed at reducing the turnout of Barack Obama’s “coalition of the ascendant”—young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

“This is not rocket science,” Bill Clinton said last year. “They are trying to make the 2012 electorate look more like the 2010 electorate than the 2008 electorate.” By pushing voter suppression laws, Republicans wanted the 2012 electorate to be older, whiter and more conservative than the young and diverse 2008 electorate.

But the GOP’s suppression strategy failed. Ten major restrictive voting laws were blocked in court and turnout among young, black and Hispanic voters increased as a share of the electorate relative to 2008.

Take a look at Ohio, where Ohio Republicans limited early voting hours as a way to decrease the African-American vote, which made up a majority of early voters in cities like Cleveland and Dayton. Early voting did fall relative to 2008 as a result of Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted’s cutbacks in early voting days and hours, but the overall share of the black electorate increased from 11 percent in 2008 to 15 percent in 2012. More than anything else, that explains why Barack Obama once again carried the state.

I spent the weekend before the election in black churches in Cleveland, and there’s no doubt in my mind that the GOP’s push to curtail the rights of black voters made them even more motivated to cast a ballot. “When they went after big mama’s voting rights, they made all of us mad,” said Reverend Tony Minor, Ohio coordinator of the African American Ministers Leadership Council. According to CBS News: "More African-Americans voted in Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida than in 2008."

The same thing happened with the Latino vote, which increased as a share of the electorate (from 9 percent in 2008 to 10 percent in 2012) and broke even stronger for Obama than in 2008 (from 67-31 in 2008 to 71-27 in 2012, according to CNN exit polling). The share of the Latino vote increased in swing states like Nevada (up 4 percent), Florida (up 3 percent) and Colorado (up 1 percent). Increased turnout and increased support for Obama among Latinos exceeded the margin of victory for the president in these three swing states.

How the GOP

Since the 2010 election, Republicans passed new voting restrictions in more than a dozen states aimed at reducing the turnout of Barack Obama’s “coalition of the ascendant”—young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

“This is not rocket science,” Bill Clinton said last year. “They are trying to make the 2012 electorate look more like the 2010 electorate than the 2008 electorate.” By pushing voter suppression laws, Republicans wanted the 2012 electorate to be older, whiter and more conservative than the young and diverse 2008 electorate.

But the GOP’s suppression strategy failed. Ten major restrictive voting laws were blocked in court and turnout among young, black and Hispanic voters increased as a share of the electorate relative to 2008.

Take a look at Ohio, where Ohio Republicans limited early voting hours as a way to decrease the African-American vote, which made up a majority of early voters in cities like Cleveland and Dayton. Early voting did fall relative to 2008 as a result of Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted’s cutbacks in early voting days and hours, but the overall share of the black electorate increased from 11 percent in 2008 to 15 percent in 2012. More than anything else, that explains why Barack Obama once again carried the state.

I spent the weekend before the election in black churches in Cleveland, and there’s no doubt in my mind that the GOP’s push to curtail the rights of black voters made them even more motivated to cast a ballot. “When they went after big mama’s voting rights, they made all of us mad,” said Reverend Tony Minor, Ohio coordinator of the African American Ministers Leadership Council. According to CBS News: "More African-Americans voted in Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida than in 2008."

The same thing happened with the Latino vote, which increased as a share of the electorate (from 9 percent in 2008 to 10 percent in 2012) and broke even stronger for Obama than in 2008 (from 67-31 in 2008 to 71-27 in 2012, according to CNN exit polling). The share of the Latino vote increased in swing states like Nevada (up 4 percent), Florida (up 3 percent) and Colorado (up 1 percent). Increased turnout and increased support for Obama among Latinos exceeded the margin of victory for the president in these three swing states.

How the GOP

They tried several tactics - from encouraging uninformed people who voted straight democrat party ticket to thereafter select Barack Obama, an act that automatically voids vote for Barack Obama, to manipulating voting machines in Galveston County, Texas, and in Pennsylvania to switch votes for Barack Obama to Mitt Romney.

GOP however managed to take Indiana and North Carolina, both obvious swing-States that went with Barack Obama in 2008:

2008 Electoral Map - NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

2012 Electoral Map - 2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com

I am still amazed GOP in fact expected Ohio and Michigan, the 2 States containing most US auto workers whose jobs were saved by resented Obama auto bailout to vote for Romney. And, I was surprised Ohio was not one of first States to cast its vote for Barack Obama.

Well, Election 2012 is over and Decision 2012 is final. Interestingly, though Mitt Romney won Texas, Barack Obama won Harris County (the largest county in Texas).

I smile at thought of secessionist Rick Perry and gang dreaming of seceding Texas. I say: Let Texas go, but include addendum that states Texas gets no military aid.

How the GOP

They tried several tactics - from encouraging uninformed people who voted straight democrat party ticket to thereafter select Barack Obama, an act that automatically voids vote for Barack Obama, to manipulating voting machines in Galveston County, Texas, and in Pennsylvania to switch votes for Barack Obama to Mitt Romney.

GOP however managed to take Indiana and North Carolina, both obvious swing-States that went with Barack Obama in 2008:

2008 Electoral Map - NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

2012 Electoral Map - 2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com

I am still amazed GOP in fact expected Ohio and Michigan, the 2 States containing most US auto workers whose jobs were saved by resented Obama auto bailout to vote for Romney. And, I was surprised Ohio was not one of first States to cast its vote for Barack Obama.

Well, Election 2012 is over and Decision 2012 is final. Interestingly, though Mitt Romney won Texas, Barack Obama won Harris County (the largest county in Texas).

I smile at thought of secessionist Rick Perry and gang dreaming of seceding Texas. I say: Let Texas go, but include addendum that states Texas gets no military aid.

Romney did the GOP no favors but it really wasn't a well thought out plan by the GOP "brain trust".

Obama had a far superior ground game than Willard. I read the Romney ground game in Ohio described as a bunch of "high schoolers." Looks like Rove could have bought better field people with some of the 300 Million Dollars he spent. So Sad...

Voter suppression was only part of the reason why they scared the American people.

I'm not sure if Voter Suppression was the cause, but the fact is, about 8 million less people voted this time than voted last time.

Obama got 7 million less votes and Romney got a million less than McCain.

Now, some of that might be because they made it harder for people to vote. Some of that might be because people just gave up.

the question is how many of those 8 million were Obama voters who didn't bother, and how many were McCain voters who didn't bother? For instance, if Romny flipped 5 million Obama voters from 2008, but 6 million McCain voters couldn't vote for him and stayed home, that would mean the GOP really did damage to itself.

Obama had a far superior ground game than Willard. I read the Romney ground game in Ohio described as a bunch of "high schoolers." Looks like Rove could have bought better field people with some of the 300 Million Dollars he spent. So Sad...

Republicans have always been big on the air game vs. the ground game. It's just that with so much money pouring into the air game, people are tuning it out.

The GOP needs to develop its ground game if it is going to survive in the future.

(although getting rid of the crazies, misogynists and so on would probably be more helpful.)

Forum List

Back