What We Can Learn from Conservatives

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"What is the meaning of life? How should we relate to each other? Our families and communities? Other nations? God? The planet? What is good, and how do we recognize it? What is evil, and how should we respond?"

By Sara Robinson, TomPaine.com. Posted March 13, 2008

"Make no mistake: When the conservatives set out to take over America 30 years ago, they were working off of a well-thought-out plan."

"...Reading these plans now, as a progressive, it strikes me: We're now living in an America in which every institution is dominated by these guys. Every facet of our looming disaster was dictated by bankrupt conservative ideas; yet our very ability to visualize fresh alternatives has been constricted by the frames they deliberately laid around our language and discourse. Most of the country finds it hard to even contemplate or discuss our predicaments in anything but conservative terms. It's clear they've done more than merely mess up our country; they've also, quite intentionally, messed with our minds."

"...Fortunately, we're starting from a place of strength here. Progressive ideals are far more compelling -- and far more true to America's historical, political, and cultural legacies -- than conservative ones ever have been or will ever be."

http://www.alternet.org/story/79511/?page=entire

These statements strike me as wrong, if only because I think conservative ideals have always dominated human societies. From day one of the American Experiment, the framework for our thought has been laid by the powers of the status quo. In an honest worldview, it only makes sense that those with more resources will win over those with less.

Still, I agree with the sentiment. And it does seem like things have been getting comparatively worse since the 70s.

Why should liberals be any different than conservatives in wanting to push their point of view?:eusa_think:

Maybe someday, we will actually get to a moderate point of view that takes the best of both sides. Either that or we will just kill each other.:eusa_wall:

From day one of the American Experiment, the framework for our thought has been laid by the powers of the status quo.

Not in the least. The American Revolution was about changing the existing status quo of British rule. It was about change and liberal ideas at that time.

The Conservative Powers to be have been very successful in laying the framework that makes "liberal" a dirty word. That is complete horse crap. Liberal is the compliment of Conservative. It is just a valid a way to see the world as the other side. In the long term, change will win and the status quo will lose. That is called progress.

Maybe someday, we will actually get to a moderate point of view that takes the best of both sides. Either that or we will just kill each other.:eusa_wall:

The only thing I care about is an unregulated market, low taxes and low spending.

You can have the rest.

Forum List

Back