What Was Your First Car?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
My first car was a black 1966 Chrysler New Yorker. My dad bought it new and he sold it to my oldest brother when he learned to drive. The interior was a dark green sateen, as I recall. It had a huge steering wheel (didn't all cars back then have huge steering wheels?). It had those little triangular vent windows in the front - they were the best. My dad had one accident in it when I was 12. He was approaching a train track that didn't have any crossing signals and his view down the track was blocked by a building. He saw the train at the last minute and crashed the car into a pole; wrecked the front end. But he knew a guy in the junk car business and he had a 1966 New Yorker that had a wrecked back end, so he took the front end off of that car and put in on my dad's car.

It was 13 or 14 years old by the time I got it. When I had it I got rear ended by a blue Chevy Vega - hey, don't tailgate me! Nothing happened to my car - good old steel bumpers, the way God intended. The guy who hit me, his car was pretty banged up.

It had glitches - you had to frequently start it by propping the carburetor open with a screw driver, starting the car, then putting the top back on the carb. It didn't have any heat by the time I got it either. lol

One night coming home from a friends house around midnight the entire car just shut off . . . then came back on again. The electrical system was it's demise. Here's a video of the New Yorker.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Uwg1q7zV8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I posted this because yesterday at my mom and dad's a friend of my brother's stopped by in his '68 or '69 Chevy Impala Super Sport. It's the car he had in high school and he restored it. It had some kind of device that it could jack up and down (I'm sure someone will fill in the name of this). Here's his car. I wish they made cars like this now.

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

Nothing that cool. My cars have been an 89 Cougar (black), 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 (burgundy), a 2003 Alero GL (burgundy), and a 2008 Rav4 (black). Very imaginative on colors, too, huh?

I'm actually thinking about buying an old muscle car (most likely a GTO), and totally restoring it (lucky me, has a friend who builds his own race cars, so can teach me). :D

The first car that was my own was a 72 Malibu (I got it in 88). Two door, Chevelle engine, white with a tan vinyl top and bench seats.

Very awesome car.

The first car I drove was my Mom's white (black interior) Chevrolet Caprice, circa 1975? I think? We got it in 80. It may have been a 78. It had an 8-track.

When I had my license we had one car in my family, a 73 Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickup. I drove it for years.

Before the Maliubu, I had an orange Mazda station wagon, I don't know what year, not new. When my bf left for LA he was sleeping in it and woke up to find cops all around him with their guns trained on him. Apparently the Hillside Strangler was thought to be driving the same color/year/make of car at the time. He spent a night in jail before they got it sorted out. Talk about hilarious. For me, anyway. But it was a good car, too.

didn't own a car till i was 20....

datsun b210
66 pontiac le mans
honda prelude
honda crx
toyota camry
mazda melenium
porsche 911 4s targa

Mine was a 1966 Dodge Coronet....looked just like a narc wagon. My second car was a 1968 Camaro SS 350...that thing rocked with speed. It had a racing cam in it, and took out about everything on the street. Down side from that was I got a letter from Gov. Reagan stating that I was a menace on the street. I had 8 tickets in 1 year. :(

datsun b210
66 pontiac le mans
honda prelude
honda crx
toyota camry
mazda melenium
porsche 911 4s targa

YOuhad to ask permission from your wife to get the last one, didn't you? :lol:

datsun b210
66 pontiac le mans
honda prelude
honda crx
toyota camry
mazda melenium
porsche 911 4s targa

YOuhad to ask permission from your wife to get the last one, didn't you? :lol:

not really...i had been talking about it for a while....one day she said enogh is enough....and drove me to the dealer and made me buy it....she also made me get a manual....she said only pussies drive automatics

I think I found my next car... :eusa_drool: It shouldn't take me longer than a year to find one, and another decade to rebuild it...
Resized_1967-Pontiac-GTO-muscle-car-wallpaper.jpg

Lots of us 'mature' folks had muscle cars. Mine? '69 Mustang. Got it in '70:

Lots of us 'mature' folks had muscle cars. Mine? '69 Mustang. Got it in '70:

That's one of the few old Mustangs I actually liked.. Most of them didn't do anything for me.. Just didn't have the right look.. *shrug*

my first car was an red 86 acura integra, I got it my senior year of high school because my parents didn't want me driving the mini van around anymore. I didn't have any speeding tickets until I got that car. With it being a five speed I proceeded to get so many tickets in one year my licenes was suspended for a month.

Forum List

Back