What was your childhood like?

Mine were awesome, in retrospect. They seemed unreasonable and way too rigid, but as an older guy, I totally appreciate the way they were. And I am so appreciative.

I lived an idyllic life until I was eleven.
Hanging out with famous athletes and sports figures of all stripes.
Parents divorced and I ran amok until around 16 at which point me and my father reconnected and became good friends again.

I thank the Lord we did because he died a year or so later when he fell off his tractor and got run over by the brush hog while messing around on his ranch property.

I try not to think about what could have been.

From 1951 - 1955, I was fortunate enough to attend a military school in Los Angeles. I came from a middle-class family, but many of my fellow cadets came from wealthy families.

I grew up with that new invention called "television." Many programs were live, so mistakes (such as a "dead" character suddenly getting up and walking away) often occurred.
Of course, I liked "I Love Lucy." And I always listened to Walter Winchell on the radio telling us exciting things about faraway countries.

We took trains back then, including night trains with my own compartment. I loved looking out the window at night at the passing scene. Night trains had names such as the "Owl" and the "Lark." People back then were not in such a rush. They just relaxed and enjoyed the journey from L.A. to San Francisco.

I would say that I had a pleasant childhood. The 1950s were happy years for me.

Last edited:
Unbelievably chaotic. Homeless most of the time, moving from furnished room to furnished room when there was a semblance of a home. My parents just loved absolute freedom. And, they fought, violently and constantly. Day after day, night after night. I avoided school, but when I went it was hard to stay awake because of the nightly fighting.

I often wondered how my parents stood it. How did they function on so little sleep? My dad went to work, maybe he was able to sleep on the job. I couldn't. I was an unbelievably mean child who took a great deal of pleasure in the pain of others. I still do. In fact, it made me money from time to time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back