What was the WORST car you have owned

2016 Honda Accord

View attachment 615162

What a cheap, plastick-y pile of shit that car was.

The CVT transmission was almost dangerously undriveable. You could never be sure if the car would go or not, when you pushed the gas pedal. So you had to mash it just to pull away from a red light. The computer would then decide, from the infinite possibilities, what gear ratio it would use. To "save you from yourself" and to try to maintain the overblown, false MPG rating . It was like luck of the draw.

If you had the audacity to touch any part of the dimestore interior, you likely left a permanent scuff mark.

The car was also large and hard to see out of. Which are acceptable downsides, when deciding to buy a large vehicle or truck. But in a supposed smallish family sedan, these were unacceptable.

The low profile tires and cheap build made every pebble and bump in the road travel up your spine to your cranium.

They managed to put both style and cheapness of build over substance. Quite an accomplishment.

I leased it for my daily driver and went $2000 more out of pocket just to trade it in after 18 months.

And, to the CVT transmissions: NEVER AGAIN.
Accords are now in the 50k range for some models.

Wtf

a 1976 ford pinto.

1976_ford_pinto_base_sedan_2___door_2___8l_1_lgw.jpg

it only had about 75K miles on it, but by the time i got rid of it, there was a whole in the floor on the front passenger side, ( i put a cookie sheet under the rug to cover it ) - went thru a qt of oil a week - every time i went up a steep hill, it would overheat. - & it wouldn't go in reverse. i got $25 bucks as a trade in cause the dealer was impressed i drove it like that for about a year.
I had a 1987 Nissan Maxima that spit out its own brake pads while I was in college. I drove it for 6 months using the parking brake and manual transmission to slow down.

I have had many cars that were reputed to be junk, yet I had good luck with most of them...Chrysler LeBaron turbo (2), Cimarron, Pacifica, PT Cruiser. In my early married life I had three Fiats that were total junk. I had a friend who could do some repair work for cheap, but the body rust killed all three of them. I had a 3-year old 850 Spyder, and the FIAT DEALER refused to even look at it for state inspection. Said it was almost certainly unsafe to drive due to a rusty undercarriage.

I'm happy to see that FIAT is again going home with its figurative tail between its legs. How do they do so well in Europe with such junk?
I'd assume Fiat must offer a better class of junk in Europe. Fiat owns Ferrari, for crying out loud, yet every Fiat I've seen for the US market has been more garbage than gold. Stellantis seems to own them all now (Fiat, Dodge, Jeep, RAM), so maybe that changes.

Accords are now in the 50k range for some models.

Wtf
Stay away

Far away

Go Kia or Hyundai instead, if looking for a low end-priced sedan or vehicle in general. Better builds, better warranties. Honda has become the prime example of resting on its laurels to get people to buy cheap builds for too much money.

"It's Honda, so it is reliable."

While that is true of their nearly perfect motorcycle engines, their cars do not fit this bill. The consumer report groups are slowly catching up with this.

So I traded my 2016 Accord for a new, 2017 Ford Taurus.

Practically stole it at $21K, as it was the last 2017 on the lot. MSRP: $28K

After about 5 months of ownership, I came out of a store to find it was not where I had parked it.

Naturally, I first thought it may have been stolen. Then I heard the honking.

I looked toward the honking, and saw my car sideways in the middle of a busy, 5 lane street, wth cars backed up both ways.

The recall was issued a few months later. Apparently, they put the wrong shifter assemblies in the Tauruses, and it had a tendency to slip out of Park, when parked.

This ghost car managed to avoid 3 buildings, a decorative boulder, and moving traffic to come to rest in the middle of a busy street 50 yards away. Not a scratch on it.

They won the first half of every race.
Before breaking down and coming in last.

My uncle had his own race team for many, many years. John Andretti used to drive for him.

Back in the 60's, when he was stationed in Thailand (Air Force), he got into racing and raced one of those Datsuns. He was pretty successful over there in the Datsun. He ditched that when he transferred back to the States and started racing BMW's. Every year on his birthday he goes to Virginia International Raceway and drives one lap for every year. This year it'll be 86 laps...

my S

It eats tires, an oil change is pretty pricey, and lately it seems to go thru O2 sensors pretty quickly.

It is factory rated for 162 MPH max but I don't drive quite that fast. LOL

Tires are rated from soft to hard, and its all your choice which ones you buy and how long they will then last.
That is assuming the alignment is not off?

Oil changes on a Porsche cost no more than oil changes on anything.
If you are going to a dealer, that is your own fault.

O2 sensors can be cleaned. They only need to be changed if the heater burns up.
But 3rd party O2 sensors are cheap.
$55

There actually are very few bad cars, like Yugo and Vegas, and mostly just bad owners.
Sure there are cheap cars like Fiat, but they are also very cheap to fix and keep running.
The driver is most of the problem, like they assume Fiats being cheap, can run on regular gasoline.
But that is totally wrong. It is cheaper to use high compression to get more power out of a little engine, so Fiats need premium more than expensive cars do.

Forum List

Back