What was the WORST car you have owned

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iamwhatiseem, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,338
    Yeah, but only when going down hill.

The worst car I did not own.... was a loner car from the insurance company after I got re-ended. I can't remember what Ford brand it was, but it was horrific. It was like a 3-cyl that was only running on 2-cyl. I tried to get to work, had it floored all the way up the on-ramp, and then got passed by a school bus, and then a city transit bus.... all while still having it floored.

I think I did actually reach 60 mph somewhere between home and work on that 10 minute drive.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439
    The worst car i’ve owned is my first car, I was 21 “young and dum” £550 a fortune.
    I foolishly bought a car from a friend of a colleague at work, little did I know it had been used to tow heavy caravans.
    It was a Racing green colour Morris Marina saloon 1.7GL with a gold seal reconditioned engine.:(
    I could overtake any car within reason in 3rd gear, but stopping the bitch I’d have to put my foot out of the door to help. The brakes were useless, in a wind on a highway she’d go sideways. I eventually wrote it off one winter when I skidded in the ice and went sideways into a farmers stone wall.
    That accident probably saved me from death from normal driving, looking back it was a death trap.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,902
    U guess Ford didn't learn anything in the 4 years between my 1977 Mustang and yours.

Mine looked smaller. Worst 4 cylinder engine ever! I think it should have said Briggs & Stratton on the side of the block. Terrible car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner 'Ole Wise One' Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,049
    The year is 1982... Location is Anchorage, Alaska... I have been in Alaska for 3 weeks and working 2 jobs... Hitchhiking and using the shoesole express for transportation... Finally throw enough bucks together to buy the car below (or a reasonable facsimile)… Gave $600.00 very hard earned dollars for this pos... Was driving down to a gas station with a mechanic to have it checked out for a few items I knew was wrong...
    Lady pulled up along side of me and started yelling 'FIRE, Fire'... I looked out my inside rearview mirror and seen little puddles of flames in my trail... I pulled over in the center median (grass) and got out of the car... Went to the hood and started to open and thought to myself STOP... I backed up and watched the car burn and some fellow asked if I needed a ride... The Fire Department was on the way as I could hear the sirens... It was a cash deal and my name was not related to the car at all so I took the title with me and hopped into the fellars truck, never to see the car again...

[​IMG]
    1972 AMC Matador 4Door Sedan

5. Vandalshandle

Vandalshandle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,186
    A 1968 Opel GT. Went through clutches like other cars went through a tank of gas. Sexy as hell, but an engineering disaster. The one passenger who could ride in the back seat sat on the gas tank. It rode so low to the ground that you had to climb out of it.

[​IMG]

6. Vandalshandle

Vandalshandle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,186
    In second place, a 1993 Saturn SC2. at 30,000 miles, it was burning a quart of oil per gas tank fill. It had an air scoop under the grill that was necessary to keep the underpowered 4 cy engine from over heating. Every time you parked it too close to a concrete parking stop bar, it was ripped off of the car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55,090
    a volvo

8. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,279
    I had a Ford Focus station wagon I bought new that was the worst lemon I've ever owned.

9. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,936
    One of these.

It literally blew up on the way home from Rhode Island.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1