What Was That About Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    :shocked: Check the links, if you dare.

http://www.theneweditor.com/index.php?/archives/2377-Is-We-Educating-Our-Children-Good.html

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I saw a promo on TV that students were walking out of this high school in protest of the mock trial of President Bush. I haven't found a link to it yet.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Had PT conferences last night. They are now studying for the Ohio Achievement test, which my 4th grade daughter's teacher finds highly annoying. They have the kids doing an OAT prep workbook with basic geometry, estimating with fractions, etc. All for this "stupid" test. She is very eager to get back to their regular math work, which includes "lattice multiplication" and division with the dividend out to the side (not sure of the name of that method). The teacher found it annoying that estimating fractions would be part of the OAT, because "These kids just aren't ready for this." If they would teach the kids some facts instead of playing with the style of problem-solving, maybe the kids would learn more.

So, my daughter is getting a D in math so far this quarter. After some strenuous argument and testimony about my daughter's character, I finally managed to convince her teacher to allow her to bring her math book HOME in the evenings. No books are usually allowed to come home, because "some children forget them at home," and the teacher can't teach those children without their books. (We can't have these kids learning responsibility and the fact that irresponsibility brings consequences!) No studying for tests is to be done at home. If they need one-on-one help, well, that can't be done at HOME! Heavens to Betsy! A child might forget to bring her book back the next day!

Yes, homes are the adversaries of public education. Some might see this as a good thing. But not my daughter's 4th grade teacher.

End rant.

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    If more kids had parents who took responsibility and were involved in their child's educations like you do, I dare say the above article would never have been written.

Bravo to you!

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thank you so much! You're sweet. :)

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Right you are! Problem in our grammar school district, which obviously has money to burn, the kids are issued two sets of texts at the beginning of the year, one for home, one for school. That way, their backs aren't 'hurt' carrying them. No responsibility, no consequences. They don't even bother to mention that the kids/parents do not have to get the texts back and forth.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'd settle for that. My daughter's classroom is like a CIA black op. No telling what goes on in there. NOTHING comes home! No idea what's in the text books. And "ClassNazi" doesn't like you to "ask questions" about her methods, either. Well, I have the summer to try and repair the damage (See, I DO homeschool! Unofficially). This is the 2nd year in a row Abbie has drawn a bad teacher. Last year, she had a pregnant lady who was having some serious personal issues. Like figuring out who the father of her child was (That was really just gossip; not sure if it's true).

We are lucky to have some really good teachers in this rural district. But others just make me want to pull my hair out!

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    And yes, some of the parents make me want to pull my hair out, too. Or theirs!