What Was That About Homeschooling?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:shocked: Check the links, if you dare.

http://www.theneweditor.com/index.php?/archives/2377-Is-We-Educating-Our-Children-Good.html
Is We Educating Our Children Good?
The last couple of days have seen a number of news reports that don't reflect very highly on the state of our nation's educational system.

However, it's not the case that a few aberrant stories have been reported in the last few days -- they are part of a long-term trend, and should be of major concern.

The fact is, the overwhelming evidence indicates that our nation's various public school systems are not only not delivering, they are in horrible shape.

Here are eleven stories since August that illustrate the trouble our public schools are in:

One, according to a recent AP report, a survey conducted by the ACT college testing service found that "only 51 percent of students showed they were ready to handle the reading requirements of a typical first-year college course."

Two, we learn, according to Reuters, that another survey, conducted by the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum, found that "most Americans have an easier time naming members of the cartoon Simpson family than listing the five freedoms granted by the nation's founders."

Reuters went on to report that "just 28 percent of respondents could name more than one of the five freedoms listed in the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment -- about the same proportion that could name all five Simpson family members or could recall the three judges on Fox TV's top-rated 'American Idol.'"

Some of the survey's respondents actually thought "the right to drive and the right to have pets" were listed in the Constitution.

Three, there is the story from Parsippany (NJ) High School, where, according to The Daily Record (NJ), a teacher has one of his classes putting President Bush on trial for "'crimes against civilian populations' and 'inhumane treatment of prisoners,' with students arguing both sides before a five-teacher 'international court of justice.'"

According to the report, the teacher insists that he isn't trying to show up President Bush.

"'President Bush is often tried in absentia all around the world,'" the teacher said. 'All we hear in the papers is, war crimes this, war crimes that -- without even hearing a defense. It would be irresponsible for a teacher to pretend that isn't happening.'"

Is that really all this teacher hears? War crimes? If so, what does he read?

Four, we have a 20-minute audio of an Overland, CO geography teacher attacking Bush, the US, and capitalism.

Capitalism, we learn from this teacher, is "at odds with humanity, with caring, and compassion."

We further learn that America is a "quote, unquote democracy"; that there are "eerie similarities" between George Bush and Adolph Hitler; that some Americans "want to kill innocent people.... People who work in the CIA. People who have to think like that. These kinds of dirty minds, dirty tricks. That's how the intelligence world works."

Aside from the silliness of this teacher's positions, one wonders, What has any of this to do with geography?

And why is this teacher taking up 20 minutes of class time to talk about this with his students?

Five, back in January, the AP reported that another survey showed that "more than 50 percent of students at four-year schools and more than 75 percent at two-year colleges lacked the skills to perform complex literacy tasks."

According to the report, this meant "they could not interpret a table about exercise and blood pressure, understand the arguments of newspaper editorials, compare credit card offers with different interest rates and annual fees or summarize results of a survey about parental involvement in school."

The results, the study found, "cut across three types of literacy: analyzing news stories and other prose, understanding documents and having math skills needed for checkbooks or restaurant tips."

AP reported that "almost 20 percent of students pursuing four-year degrees had only basic quantitative skills. For example, the students could not estimate if their car had enough gas to get to the service station."

Six, back in November 2005, a report from Strategy Page indicated that the Defense Department was having trouble finding qualified recruits from public schools, "because so many potential recruits have to be turned down because of the poor education they have received in those schools."

Seven, back in September we learned from a Chicago Sun-Times report the following:

1) In 2003 only 54 percent of Chicago public high school students who started four years earlier graduated.

2) "Most Chicago Public Schools alumni must take remedial classes at the Chicago City Colleges; 74 percent must take remedial English; 94 percent must take remedial math."

3) 75 percent of those Chicago public school students with a B average scored below the national average score on the ACT.

These numbers are horrendous -- 75% of "B" students don't even achieve the national average score on the ACT? What is that all about?

Eight, in September we also learned in an AP report on the New Orleans public schools that "[m]ore than two-thirds of the school system's fourth-graders do not have basic competence in math."

What a waste of brains!

Nine, back in August 2005, the New York Times reported on a survey that showed that 20% of people surveyed believed that the sun revolves around the earth.

Good God, is this the result of the Ptolemy lobby's efforts, or what?

Ten, according to a Chicago Sun-Times report in August, a Chicago public school science teacher at one of the city's finest schools calls his home's 12-year appreciation, "morally abhorrent. It's indentured servitude. It's wrong."

The rate of appreciation? 6-7% per year over 12 years.

This man teaches science in the public schools, yet he doesn't have the curiosity, the math skills, or a sufficient enough grasp of capitalism to understand a slightly above normal financial return.

Yet, it's worth repeating, he teaches science in the public schools.

Eleven, according to American Bar Association survey released last August, only 55% of respondents could name all three branches of the federal government.

When barely half the nation's kids don't read well enough to understand first-year college reading assignments, when they know more about The Simpsons and American Idol than they do about rudimentary aspects of the US Constitution, when kids are being told in school that George Bush is a "war criminal," that he is "eerily similar to Hitler," or that "capitalism is at odds with humanity," something is very wrong.

When kids don't have the math skills to balance checkbooks, or figure out restaurant tips; when the Defense Department has trouble finding qualified public school students to recruit; when barely half of Chicago Public School students graduate, and if they do, 75% to 95% must take remedial reading and math classes in junior college; when two-thirds of New Orleans public school fourth graders "do not have basic competence in math," something is very wrong.

When 20% of a survey's respondents think the sun revolves around the earth, when a high school science teacher doesn't understand the mathematics of present or future valuation, when only 55% of survey respondents can name all three federal branches of government, something is very wrong.

That these stories could be told should be intolerable to every single American. Yet, they are just the tip of the iceberg.
Posted by Tom Elia in Education at 17:29

Three, there is the story from Parsippany (NJ) High School, where, according to The Daily Record (NJ), a teacher has one of his classes putting President Bush on trial for "'crimes against civilian populations' and 'inhumane treatment of prisoners,' with students arguing both sides before a five-teacher 'international court of justice.'"

I saw a promo on TV that students were walking out of this high school in protest of the mock trial of President Bush. I haven't found a link to it yet.

Had PT conferences last night. They are now studying for the Ohio Achievement test, which my 4th grade daughter's teacher finds highly annoying. They have the kids doing an OAT prep workbook with basic geometry, estimating with fractions, etc. All for this "stupid" test. She is very eager to get back to their regular math work, which includes "lattice multiplication" and division with the dividend out to the side (not sure of the name of that method). The teacher found it annoying that estimating fractions would be part of the OAT, because "These kids just aren't ready for this." If they would teach the kids some facts instead of playing with the style of problem-solving, maybe the kids would learn more.

So, my daughter is getting a D in math so far this quarter. After some strenuous argument and testimony about my daughter's character, I finally managed to convince her teacher to allow her to bring her math book HOME in the evenings. No books are usually allowed to come home, because "some children forget them at home," and the teacher can't teach those children without their books. (We can't have these kids learning responsibility and the fact that irresponsibility brings consequences!) No studying for tests is to be done at home. If they need one-on-one help, well, that can't be done at HOME! Heavens to Betsy! A child might forget to bring her book back the next day!

Yes, homes are the adversaries of public education. Some might see this as a good thing. But not my daughter's 4th grade teacher.

End rant.

mom4 said:
Had PT conferences last night. They are now studying for the Ohio Achievement test, which my 4th grade daughter's teacher finds highly annoying. They have the kids doing an OAT prep workbook with basic geometry, estimating with fractions, etc. All for this "stupid" test. She is very eager to get back to their regular math work, which includes "lattice multiplication" and division with the dividend out to the side (not sure of the name of that method). The teacher found it annoying that estimating fractions would be part of the OAT, because "These kids just aren't ready for this." If they would teach the kids some facts instead of playing with the style of problem-solving, maybe the kids would learn more.

So, my daughter is getting a D in math so far this quarter. After some strenuous argument and testimony about my daughter's character, I finally managed to convince her teacher to allow her to bring her math book HOME in the evenings. No books are usually allowed to come home, because "some children forget them at home," and the teacher can't teach those children without their books. (We can't have these kids learning responsibility and the fact that irresponsibility brings consequences!) No studying for tests is to be done at home. If they need one-on-one help, well, that can't be done at HOME! Heavens to Betsy! A child might forget to bring her book back the next day!

Yes, homes are the adversaries of public education. Some might see this as a good thing. But not my daughter's 4th grade teacher.

End rant.

If more kids had parents who took responsibility and were involved in their child's educations like you do, I dare say the above article would never have been written.

Bravo to you!

GotZoom said:
If more kids had parents who took responsibility and were involved in their child's educations like you do, I dare say the above article would never have been written.

Bravo to you!
Thank you so much! You're sweet. :)

GotZoom said:

Bravo to you!
Right you are! Problem in our grammar school district, which obviously has money to burn, the kids are issued two sets of texts at the beginning of the year, one for home, one for school. That way, their backs aren't 'hurt' carrying them. No responsibility, no consequences. They don't even bother to mention that the kids/parents do not have to get the texts back and forth.

Kathianne said:
Right you are! Problem in our grammar school district, which obviously has money to burn, the kids are issued two sets of texts at the beginning of the year, one for home, one for school. That way, their backs aren't 'hurt' carrying them. No responsibility, no consequences. They don't even bother to mention that the kids/parents do not have to get the texts back and forth.
I'd settle for that. My daughter's classroom is like a CIA black op. No telling what goes on in there. NOTHING comes home! No idea what's in the text books. And "ClassNazi" doesn't like you to "ask questions" about her methods, either. Well, I have the summer to try and repair the damage (See, I DO homeschool! Unofficially). This is the 2nd year in a row Abbie has drawn a bad teacher. Last year, she had a pregnant lady who was having some serious personal issues. Like figuring out who the father of her child was (That was really just gossip; not sure if it's true).

We are lucky to have some really good teachers in this rural district. But others just make me want to pull my hair out!

Forum List

Back