What Vitamins/Supplements Do You Take Everyday?

I do know that because of where I live, I'm supposed to be taking something like 3,000 IU of Vitamin D3. I've been lax about it so the doc is probably going to give Me a hard time about it.

Not enough sunlight?
That and the fact that I sleep days and work nights.

yeah that sucks. I worked 3rd shift at the prison for 5 years. 10pm to 6am. I would usually come home and go golfing in the morning and stay up until like noon then sleep until time to go to work. But when I couldn't golf, I would come home and sleep until like noon, then do stuff until about 6, and then take a nap until about 8:30. Part of the time I worked 3rd shift though I volunteered at a bingo hall that supported a home for disabled "kids." So two nights a week I had to work at the bingo hall from 5 until about 8:30 when I would get ready and go to work.

Do you take melatonin to help you sleep?
No, but I did try it for a while. I've been on nights for over 15 years so I'm pretty used to it. In fact, I'm looking to get My CDL Class A license and hope to be driving by the end of the year. Then I'll be back on a day shift (fingers crossed).

No, I'm just an informed person who know nutrition and studied it extensively. But thanks for the compliment.

You studied it extensively? Really have you? Then you know that most people don't eat a balanced diet to get all the nutrients they need. You'd also know that most legit companies have their supplements tested to make sure they match the potency on the bottle and that the expiration dates on them are correct. GNC uses a company called NSF:

"NSF International (www.nsf.org), a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, is the leading global provider of public health and safety risk management solutions in the areas of food, water, indoor air and the environment. NSF provides product certification and safety audits for the food and water industries. Other services include management systems registrations delivered through NSF International Strategic Registrations, Ltd. and education through the NSF Center for Public Health Education. Founded in 1944, NSF is headquartered in Ann Arbor MI, and serves companies in 80 countries."

GNC - Product Testing and Certification - NSF International
If you cut an orange in half, by the end of the day the vitamin C content will be a tiny fraction of what it was before you cut it in half. When you buy a carton of orange juice, if there is any vitamin C left, it's because it was added (chemically). You are clueless about nutrition. Talk to a doctor.

We aren't talking about oranges or orange juice in this thread... non sequitur.
It's an example, idiot. The same applies to anything that's been taken from it's natural state. Once you do that, the nutrients start to die off. Read the labels, they will tell you the supplement is not meant to "replace" meals. There's a reason for that.
I don't think anyone is claiming that. The conventional wisdom is three meals a day with a snack between lunch and dinner and maybe some fruit before bed. I have problems with this because of the way the blood sugar gets spiked by having a large breakfast, then a moderate lunch followed by a gorging dinner. Many studies show that smaller meals, consisting of fibrous carbs and moderate protein help steady the blood sugar fluctuations. So I eat four moderate meals spaced over 3 to 4-hour intervals and replace one of those with a protein enhancement shake and count that as a meal for calories more than any other reason. My recovery drink, on those days that I lift, also count as one meal so that I can continue to control the calorie intake. As My base metabolism increases with more muscle mass, I'll increase the size of each meal by 50 to 100 calories so that I can maintain the blood sugar levels and still provide My body with the fuel it needs to create more muscle.

Yep, most people don't understand that the more muscle you get, the more calories you actually need to take in.

You studied it extensively? Really have you? Then you know that most people don't eat a balanced diet to get all the nutrients they need. You'd also know that most legit companies have their supplements tested to make sure they match the potency on the bottle and that the expiration dates on them are correct. GNC uses a company called NSF:

"NSF International (www.nsf.org), a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, is the leading global provider of public health and safety risk management solutions in the areas of food, water, indoor air and the environment. NSF provides product certification and safety audits for the food and water industries. Other services include management systems registrations delivered through NSF International Strategic Registrations, Ltd. and education through the NSF Center for Public Health Education. Founded in 1944, NSF is headquartered in Ann Arbor MI, and serves companies in 80 countries."

If you cut an orange in half, by the end of the day the vitamin C content will be a tiny fraction of what it was before you cut it in half. When you buy a carton of orange juice, if there is any vitamin C left, it's because it was added (chemically). You are clueless about nutrition. Talk to a doctor.

It's an example, idiot. The same applies to anything that's been taken from it's natural state. Once you do that, the nutrients start to die off. Read the labels, they will tell you the supplement is not meant to "replace" meals. There's a reason for that.
I don't think anyone is claiming that. The conventional wisdom is three meals a day with a snack between lunch and dinner and maybe some fruit before bed. I have problems with this because of the way the blood sugar gets spiked by having a large breakfast, then a moderate lunch followed by a gorging dinner. Many studies show that smaller meals, consisting of fibrous carbs and moderate protein help steady the blood sugar fluctuations. So I eat four moderate meals spaced over 3 to 4-hour intervals and replace one of those with a protein enhancement shake and count that as a meal for calories more than any other reason. My recovery drink, on those days that I lift, also count as one meal so that I can continue to control the calorie intake. As My base metabolism increases with more muscle mass, I'll increase the size of each meal by 50 to 100 calories so that I can maintain the blood sugar levels and still provide My body with the fuel it needs to create more muscle.

Yep, most people don't understand that the more muscle you get, the more calories you actually need to take in.
Yes. If you want to put on muscle, you need to provide your body with the fuel to create it.

An orange and a vitamin or supplement do not degrade the same. Your argument isn't even in the same ball park.
Better do some research. On second thought, don't. Ignorance is bliss.

LMAO... I told you already you were wrong and provided proof.

Not only was I a district manager for GNC, where I worked my way up the ladder from sales associate. I also took a nutrition class at Miami of Ohio University.

No one, and I mean no one, in this thread said that if you leave food out that it doesn't lose its nutritional value over time. Vitamins and supplements that are sold in packages do not decay the same as fresh food. If you think that, then you really need to go do some research yourself.

Yes. If you want to put on muscle, you need to provide your body with the fuel to create it.

I can't remember who it was, I think it was Ryback, the former WWE wrestler, mentioned he took in more than 10,000 calories a day. But then again I dealt with guys like him all the time, who would eat every 4 hours, even waking up in the middle of the night to do so.

Also, if you don't already, most guys that are putting on muscle take like an hour and a half to 2 hour nap during the day, because your body naturally releases more testosterone during REM sleep.

I can't remember who it was, I think it was Ryback, the former WWE wrestler, mentioned he took in more than 10,000 calories a day. But then again I dealt with guys like him all the time, who would eat every 4 hours, even waking up in the middle of the night to do so.

Also, if you don't already, most guys that are putting on muscle take like an hour and a half to 2 hour nap during the day, because your body naturally releases more testosterone during REM sleep.
I don't, but I hear that sleep experts recommend power naps, so that may not be a bad idea.

I think it was Jeff Cavaliere who told the story of meeting with 'The Rock' Dwayne Johnson and broke down his meal plan. It consisted of a LOT of cod and the whole meal plan, and don't hold Me to this as I don't recall the total figure, was something like 8 to 10 thousand calories. I'll see if I can find the video.

I don't, but I hear that sleep experts recommend power naps, so that may not be a bad idea.

I think it was Jeff Cavaliere who told the story of meeting with 'The Rock' Dwayne Johnson and broke down his meal plan. It consisted of a LOT of cod and the whole meal plan, and don't hold Me to this as I don't recall the total figure, was something like 8 to 10 thousand calories. I'll see if I can find the video.

Yeah... the testosterone boost during REM sleep is why guys wake up with morning wood. And now you know! :lmao::lmao:

I used to be a district manager at GNC and would takes tons of vitamins and supplements. These days I just drink Muscle Milk protein powder (Banana Cream and Cookies and Cream) with glutamine powder in it. I also take probiotics, flaxseed oil pills, inositol pills, ginseng, and Vitamin B-12 pills.

So what do you guys take on a regular basis? Soon I'm going to start taking some more stuff like I used to.
I'm healthy and eat a balanced diet. I don't need any supplements.

No, I'm just an informed person who know nutrition and studied it extensively. But thanks for the compliment.

I agree with the 3 meals thing but if your breakfast is limited to mostly protein and a small amount of carbs, your blood sugar won't spike and your insulin will be secreted slowly instead of being dumped into your bloodstream because of the sugar. And fruit before bed is a mistake. Your body will burn fat all day and night on it's own but it won't burn carbs unless you exercise. That's why the Atkins diet works and the low fat diet causes high cholesterol.
You do need carbs to get through your workouts but when you're done in the gym, continuing to consume them will make you "smooth". Supplements have their place. When I was training, I drank liquid protein just before I went into the gym. If I was sluggish, I drank some fruit juice but not too much. The protein fed the muscles during the workout, then I ate a high protein meal afterwards. My strength increased FAST. Bench press went from 180 to about 260 for reps within about 3 weeks. Similar results with leg presses and other heavy lifts. Carbs don't have much nutritional benefit except for a burst of energy. Heavy lifters use them for competition but not for training. Protein is the key but supplements should be used as a boost, not a replacement. Most of it should come from food (in it's natural state if possible).

Things a person should eat before going to sleep are yogurt, cottage cheese, bananas, or time released protein and amino acids.

and if you eat yogurt, try to get the ones with extra acidophilus.

I'll share a little secret I used to do in the mornings. I'd take a serving of plain vanilla yogurt, put a scoop of protein powder in it, then put in some granola or grape nuts in it. That gave you two types of protein, and then some carbs and fiber. I'd also eat an omelet with 3 egg whites and one yolk.

Okay, here it is.

Now you're getting into a whole different thing. If you are thinking about competing in bodybuilding, at some point you're going to have to use anabolic and anti-catabolic steroids. If you're not willing to do that, you'll be relegated to the second or third tier. That's just a fact of life. You can only go so far without them.

Okay, here it is.

Now you're getting into a whole different thing. If you are thinking about competing in bodybuilding, at some point you're going to have to use anabolic and anti-catabolic steroids. If you're not willing to do that, you'll be relegated to the second or third tier. That's just a fact of life. You can only go so far without them.

I'm 56 years old. I won't be lifting in competition anytime in whats left of My life. I want to put on muscle for My heart and health and to maybe improve My physique for a little vanity sake.

Okay, here it is.

I'm 56 years old. I won't be lifting in competition anytime in whats left of My life. I want to put on muscle for My heart and health and to maybe improve My physique for a little vanity sake.

I hear ya. Now we're competing with Father Time and Mother Nature.

Okay, here it is.

If that is what you are worried about, you should try and take a supplement called HMB. It helps slow down the process of your muscle breaking down.

Men's multivitamin everyday, and whey 5-6 times a week for post workout.

I used to be a district manager at GNC and would takes tons of vitamins and supplements. These days I just drink Muscle Milk protein powder (Banana Cream and Cookies and Cream) with glutamine powder in it. I also take probiotics, flaxseed oil pills, inositol pills, ginseng, and Vitamin B-12 pills.

So what do you guys take on a regular basis? Soon I'm going to start taking some more stuff like I used to.

If you take in the regular basis so, its good thing but if you want to skip: take this three or four times in a week.

Forum List

Back