What Veterans Really Think

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
(CNN)As a wounded veteran who served two tours in Iraq, I've been asked to give speeches at Memorial Day celebrations. It's one of the hardest jobs I've ever done.

Veterans Day is easy. Fourth of July, a piece of cake.

But Memorial Day, that's a tough one.

Service members like me think about the soldiers we lost pretty often. I remember when he was alive, all the stuff we did -- the training, combat and even just hanging out together off duty. Then my mind usually goes to the day of his death. I remember where I was when I heard about it, or what it felt like to see him catastrophically wounded. I picture their faces. They're young; they never get old.

I remember where I was when I learned that Sgt. 1st Class Jason Bishop died. I had heard the explosion; I just didn't know it was him.

Bishop and some of us guys used to work on our vehicles together on weekends while in the States. He was a couple of ranks higher than we were, so technically we shouldn't have been hanging out. But Bishop had a garage, the right tools and the knowledge. I knew his wife and I can picture him holding his 2-year-old son. I look at my old jeep now and remember who did the work on it.

New Year's Day in 2006, I was on my second tour. I had walked up to our battalion to harass the guy in charge of paperwork about my promotion. I'd been doing the job of staff sergeant, but they hadn't given me the title to go along with it.

When I got there, I started ragging the sergeant, but he dropped his head and wouldn't look at me. "Murph, now's just not a good time."

I studied him and could see he was serious.

"Did you hear that blast earlier?" We were in Iraq, we heard blasts all the time. But, yeah, I knew what he was talking about because it had blown open the door of the trailer where I was working, even from a mile away.

"That was Bishop," he said. "Bishop's dead."

I found out later that intelligence indicated three vehicle-borne IEDs, suicide bombers, in the city. An Apache helicopter had located two and eliminated the threat. They put a roadblock in place to catch the third, and that's where Bishop was working. The bomber tried to run it, but Bishop stood his ground. He shot the driver, so the vehicle exploded early, which meant fewer deaths and injuries. But Bishop paid with his life. He went down shooting.

When soldiers die, they don't just roll over and quit like in the movies. They fight like hell. They do whatever they can to stay alive -- sometimes that's their hardest fight. And sometimes they lose.

The biggest loser is the family, though. I feel terrible for their parents, their wives, girlfriends or kids. I think about how much it hurts them on a daily basis. They're still suffering, and it's never going to end.

The next biggest losers are the guys who were with the soldier. Many times they've got survivor's guilt. They may have lost an arm or a leg, but they survived. If they made the call related to the soldier's death, they'll carry that with them for the rest of their lives.

So, what do nonfamily members and nonveterans think about on Memorial Day? Sometimes I think they just don't give a damn.

They're out there enjoying the three-day weekend, eating cheeseburgers and drinking craft beer. They don't go to the ceremonies, the events that honor veterans, and they don't pull out their checkbooks to try to make things a little easier for those who survived.

Memorial Day is supposed to remind Americans what other people have sacrificed for them. But sometimes, I think nobody's paying attention.

They're too self-absorbed.

If they really wanted to show respect for veterans, and the price they paid, they'd attend a service to hear somebody speak. If they felt moved, maybe they'd go to a website like Homes for Our Troops and make a donation. Or find a nonprofit that takes care of the fallen service members' families, like Gold Star organizations. It's not fun to think about, but people ought to think about it anyway.

I always thought if I made it big, I'd rent a big house and invite all the guys I knew during active duty together to talk about old times and remember those we lost. We live all over -- in Michigan, Florida, Texas, Ohio, North Carolina and beyond.

We may not see each other, but I can guess what they're thinking about on Memorial Day.

And it's not about cheeseburgers.

Yes, we hear it every year...

Maybe you need to hear it more often ....
Why? I heard it all through the military and 6 years of Scouts, from my history lessons and relatives that were WWI and WWII veterans...Anything else Dad?

Nope --- other than the fact that you don't deserve what you've been given.
And I should feel what?

Sad ... very sad.

Yes, we hear it every year...

Why? I heard it all through the military and 6 years of Scouts, from my history lessons and relatives that were WWI and WWII veterans...Anything else Dad?

And I should feel what?

Sad ... very sad.
Maybe in the next century, till then, just deal with it...

And I should feel what?

Sad ... very sad.
Maybe in the next century, till then, just deal with it...

Nahhh --- if your opinion becomes the prevalent opinion, there will be nothing left to deal with.

Well keep repeating it enough like the WWII vets did when they thought it was waning back in the 1970's.....

Well keep repeating it enough like the WWII vets did when they thought it was waning back in the 1970's.....
You can rest assured that I will ... and you will continue to ignore it until it is too late.

The message is, avoid horrible, unnecessary adventures such as Vietnam and Iraq.

I will never forget those brave Marines of C Co. 1st Bn 4th Marines who never got the chance to be Veterans. It was an
honor and a privilege to have fought beside them. Rest in peace Marines. Semper Fidelis

I think all wounded Veterans should be tax exempt. They deserve it as much or more than the tax exempt political propaganda clubs that John McCain created with his "campaign finance reform" law.

(CNN)As a wounded veteran who served two tours in Iraq, I've been asked to give speeches at Memorial Day celebrations. It's one of the hardest jobs I've ever done.

Service members like me think about the soldiers we lost pretty often. I remember when he was alive, all the stuff we did -- the training, combat and even just hanging out together off duty. Then my mind usually goes to the day of his death. I remember where I was when I heard about it, or what it felt like to see him catastrophically wounded. I picture their faces. They're young; they never get old.

I remember where I was when I learned that Sgt. 1st Class Jason Bishop died. I had heard the explosion; I just didn't know it was him.

Bishop and some of us guys used to work on our vehicles together on weekends while in the States. He was a couple of ranks higher than we were, so technically we shouldn't have been hanging out. But Bishop had a garage, the right tools and the knowledge. I knew his wife and I can picture him holding his 2-year-old son. I look at my old jeep now and remember who did the work on it.

New Year's Day in 2006, I was on my second tour. I had walked up to our battalion to harass the guy in charge of paperwork about my promotion. I'd been doing the job of staff sergeant, but they hadn't given me the title to go along with it.

When I got there, I started ragging the sergeant, but he dropped his head and wouldn't look at me. "Murph, now's just not a good time."

"Did you hear that blast earlier?" We were in Iraq, we heard blasts all the time. But, yeah, I knew what he was talking about because it had blown open the door of the trailer where I was working, even from a mile away.

I found out later that intelligence indicated three vehicle-borne IEDs, suicide bombers, in the city. An Apache helicopter had located two and eliminated the threat. They put a roadblock in place to catch the third, and that's where Bishop was working. The bomber tried to run it, but Bishop stood his ground. He shot the driver, so the vehicle exploded early, which meant fewer deaths and injuries. But Bishop paid with his life. He went down shooting.

When soldiers die, they don't just roll over and quit like in the movies. They fight like hell. They do whatever they can to stay alive -- sometimes that's their hardest fight. And sometimes they lose.

The biggest loser is the family, though. I feel terrible for their parents, their wives, girlfriends or kids. I think about how much it hurts them on a daily basis. They're still suffering, and it's never going to end.

The next biggest losers are the guys who were with the soldier. Many times they've got survivor's guilt. They may have lost an arm or a leg, but they survived. If they made the call related to the soldier's death, they'll carry that with them for the rest of their lives.

So, what do nonfamily members and nonveterans think about on Memorial Day? Sometimes I think they just don't give a damn.

They're out there enjoying the three-day weekend, eating cheeseburgers and drinking craft beer. They don't go to the ceremonies, the events that honor veterans, and they don't pull out their checkbooks to try to make things a little easier for those who survived.

Memorial Day is supposed to remind Americans what other people have sacrificed for them. But sometimes, I think nobody's paying attention.

If they really wanted to show respect for veterans, and the price they paid, they'd attend a service to hear somebody speak. If they felt moved, maybe they'd go to a website like Homes for Our Troops and make a donation. Or find a nonprofit that takes care of the fallen service members' families, like Gold Star organizations. It's not fun to think about, but people ought to think about it anyway.

I always thought if I made it big, I'd rent a big house and invite all the guys I knew during active duty together to talk about old times and remember those we lost. We live all over -- in Michigan, Florida, Texas, Ohio, North Carolina and beyond.

We may not see each other, but I can guess what they're thinking about on Memorial Day.

In early August of '64, I watched Lt. Eddie Alvarez launch his plane off the deck of CVA 64.....Many years later I watched him emerge from the aircraft bringing our returning POW's home and he was one of the first to emerge because he had been there the longest...My heart rejoiced to see my old shipmate still alive, but it still grieves for the 58,000 of my brethren who were not so lucky..today is a very special day on MY calendar...:beer:

if we'd stop having troops where we have no biz having them, we could stop losing them. NO country is going to invade or attack the US, and the military is useless against small groups. What they COULD do, tho is build and man a double fence on our Mex border, with rifle towers every 1/4 mile. That way, the longest range that they'd have to fire is 220 yds, and 2 towers could engage at each point of incursion, even at night. If a large group tried to breech the fence, many of the towers could see them and bring fire upon them and the reaction crews could pour out of the ready rooms and into their humvees to stop it.

if we'd stop having troops where we have no biz having them, we could stop losing them. NO country is going to invade or attack the US, and the military is useless against small groups. What they COULD do, tho is build and man a double fence on our Mex border, with rifle towers every 1/4 mile. That way, the longest range that they'd have to fire is 220 yds, and 2 towers could engage at each point of incursion, even at night. If a large group tried to breech the fence, many of the towers could see them and bring fire upon them and the reaction crews could pour out of the ready rooms and into their humvees to stop it.

That's the cool thing about opinions .......

G.I. Joe (Hasbro): Media Monument

How does images of war in the media and the arts reach and affect our veterans?

When Hollywood (USA) makes conflict-colloquialization films such as "WarGames" (1983), how does social conversation about war change?

I'm thinking about the popular American paramilitary fantasy-adventure comic book stylized franchise "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" (Hasbro) which presents stories about patriotic American crusading militia-men called G.I. Joes contending with a vile and diabolical terrorist organization called Cobra. This lucrative entertainment franchise has spawned toy action-figures, animated television programs, and big-budget Hollywood (USA) movies.

We can cast how the different characters in the G.I. Joe (Hasbro) storyboards serve as metaphors for social war attitude totems:

G.I. Joe soldiers -
1. Duke - the figurehead of the valiant Joes, perhaps representing a real American war hero such as Patton
2. Snake Eyes - a daring assassin, perhaps representing the Navy Seals
3. Scarlett - a female warrior, perhaps a real G.I. Jane

Cobra-
1. Serpentor - a genetically engineered super-drone and tyrant, perhaps representing Adolf Hitler
2. Baroness & Destro - a cruel couple consulting for various fascist schemes, perhaps alluding to Eva Braun
3. Tomax & Xamot - twins and cover-artists for Cobra, perhaps representing Mussolini
4. Cobra Commander - a dethrones Cobra leader with vile mentality, perhaps representing the Devil

Perceptions of social attitudes towards real veterans impacts our cultural investments in veteran affairs in the media.

:afro:

The Terrorist (Film)

ss.jpg

Worth mentioning that never has a US serviceperson died to an IED while stateside. Only ever happens when they're participating in an occupying force in someone else's country...

Forum List

Back