What Top 1% of Earners Majored In

Top wage earners are not the same thing as the wealthiest people.

These numbers reflect, I suspect, the fact that Bio majors quite often continue their educations into medicine.

And as a profession, I suspect that MDs are the higher paid people (on average) in the USA.

Now consider this...100 years ago MDs were the worst paid profession in the nation.

What changed?

Medicine is now worth purchasing and third party payments (HC insur) makes it possible for people to use medicine

Maybe medicine costs more today because today it actually works. Back when they broke out the knife and told you to bite the bullet the service wasn't something that many people were willing (or able) to pay for.

You know what one of the funniest things I see among the economically illiterate is? Its people who do not know the difference between income and wealth, the same ones who can't tell finance from economics. It is one of the clearest signs that the speaker has no idea what they are talking about.

The treatment of human health has gone through a thorough evolution over the years. Nowadays, the system is doctor centric. That has not always been the case. In times past, the system was nurse centric, or tech centric. At those times, the system was appropriate based on the knowledge and technology that was available. Today, our current system is most appropriate. In the future, the system will probably evolve even farther so that doctors once again may not be the primary source of care.

The treatment of human health has gone through a thorough evolution over the years. Nowadays, the system is doctor centric. That has not always been the case. In times past, the system was nurse centric, or tech centric. At those times, the system was appropriate based on the knowledge and technology that was available. Today, our current system is most appropriate. In the future, the system will probably evolve even farther so that doctors once again may not be the primary source of care.

When's it going to be patient centric? ;)

When patient outcomes dictate health care providers incomes?

That would be how free market forces would structure it.

When the strongest proponents of patient-centeredness can get more than just a recess appointment: "What ‘Patient-Centered’ Should Mean: Confessions Of An Extremist."

More optimistically: soon.

:razz: I was speaking about who provides health care. If patient's start being the primary provider of health care, then we're really in trouble.

GOP Senate Candidate RAESE: I made my money the old-fashioned way, I inherited it. I think that’s a great thing to do. I hope more people in this country have that opportunity as soon as we abolish inheritance tax in this country, which is a key part of my program.

GOP Senate Candidate: I Earned my Money the Old-Fashioned Way: I Inherited It « SpeakEasy

The very rich contribute to the capital base of a country, and if their country is not inhospitable to that wealth (for whatever reason; envy, jealousy, class resentment) their wealth has to go somewhere useful, likely in that country. If that is in stocks that pay dividends, or don't, in venture capital, even in banks, it provides cheaper capital than if they weren't wealthy and werent' competing for investments. Then it's available to ordinary people, entrepreneurs who have the ideas that create new businesses and new jobs. They don't keep it in a vault where they pass their leisure time counting it; they put it to work, to the degree the country they live in makes that a safe and profitable thing to do. Generally, profitable for them means to grow it larger rather than watch it lose value from inflation.

Last edited:
Maybe medicine costs more today because today it actually works. Back when they broke out the knife and told you to bite the bullet the service wasn't something that many people were willing (or able) to pay for.

You know what one of the funniest things I see among the economically illiterate is? Its people who do not know the difference between income and wealth, the same ones who can't tell finance from economics. It is one of the clearest signs that the speaker has no idea what they are talking about.

The United States is one of the only countries in the world that actively profits off of the bad health of its citizens. I also want you to note that the cost of production vs the cost of purchase of most medicine is wildly fucked up. It is almost pure profit.

Forum List

Back