"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"

I just feel like if you are "offended" by the 4th of July or don't like or don't want to celebrate, then that is fine, but why be an ass to everyone else about it? We don't and will never all think the SAME way. Get that through your heads!

I made the OP as a refection for whites who always want to talk abut how we should not blame those in the past for things and how we should not ascribe todays standards on those in the past. For those who consistently clamored that slavery was over, a thing of the past and as such we should just move on. The fact is July 4th, 1776 is the past. It was 241 years ago, but we still celebrate that day. We still talk about the beliefs of long dead men who are white until it's time to mention they owned slaves or were racists, then that's the past and we should forget it. The entire reason for t his thread was not to talk about slavery, but t point out the hypocrisy of white conservatives specifically and republicans relative to their ability to use the past only when it makes them look good.

Just as much as I was not a slave none of you whites here fought in the revolutionary war. The double standards need to end, the excuses you whites make need to go too. That's why this thread was made.
A key difference between the two is that while slavery is over in America, American independence is NOT. I suppose some folks celebrate independence day because they still have that independence. What are blacks who recall slavery whining about? Slavery that's long gone?

I made the OP as a refection for whites who always want to talk abut how we should not blame those in the past for things and how we should not ascribe todays standards on those in the past. For those who consistently clamored that slavery was over, a thing of the past and as such we should just move on. The fact is July 4th, 1776 is the past. It was 241 years ago, but we still celebrate that day. We still talk about the beliefs of long dead men who are white until it's time to mention they owned slaves or were racists, then that's the past and we should forget it. The entire reason for t his thread was not to talk about slavery, but t point out the hypocrisy of white conservatives specifically and republicans relative to their ability to use the past only when it makes them look good.

Just as much as I was not a slave none of you whites here fought in the revolutionary war. The double standards need to end, the excuses you whites make need to go too. That's why this thread was made.

We celebrate it because it's FUN. You know what FUN is? It sure doesn't seem like you do!

Well the fact is that none of you were there on July 4th, 1776. I have fun every day. I don't need to designate a day to have fun.

There is no old man attitude. There is the truth and then there is you.

Yes there is. You seem like a cranky old man! Let people alone and let them have their holidays!

No cranky old man attitude here. But what I see from you is the young dumb and fill of c-m stupidity of a person who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

You are really stupid. I haven't said anything about you ending your holidays. I have said I don't celebrate the fourth of July. And we are owed. Whites shouldn't have done what they did and should have stopped instead of continuing it and always trying to make excuses for it like you do.

BS, nobody OWES you anything. Most of the "whites" you refer to immigrated here long after slavery ended in the US. Get real.

Yep whites owe us. The fact whites got to immigrate here shows just how much whites were given.. The demand for reparations goes far past slavery. We are talking about continuing human rights violations. You do know what continuing means don't ya? It means things didn't stop after slavery. You are misinformed, you really need to stop trying to argue with me because I know far more than you do bout these matters and only have so much patience with excuse making lying white racists before I decide to make an example out of you.

You keep telling me what we blacks aren't owed, but you seem unable to explain why all others wronged by this government have gotten and still get, reparations. Why do they have the right to reparations but we don't? Explain that.

I just feel like if you are "offended" by the 4th of July or don't like or don't want to celebrate, then that is fine, but why be an ass to everyone else about it? We don't and will never all think the SAME way. Get that through your heads!

A key difference between the two is that while slavery is over in America, American independence is NOT. I suppose some folks celebrate independence day because they still have that independence. What are blacks who recall slavery whining about? Slavery that's long gone?

The revolutionary war is over.

I really do believe some people just enjoy being miserable and want to make other people miserable too.

I really do believe that we have some certified idiots out there who are white.

But the independence is not. It's called Independence Day, get it?

The slaves playing the music at their master's 4th of July celebration had it pretty good. probably wouldn't have gone back to Africa if you offered it to them.

Sure. They would have happily stayed captive in an existence equivalent to that of farm animals.
SMGDH
Still better than living off flies in a mud hut in Africa.

SO is slavery, douchebag!

The slaves playing the music at their master's 4th of July celebration had it pretty good. probably wouldn't have gone back to Africa if you offered it to them.

Sure. They would have happily stayed captive in an existence equivalent to that of farm animals.
SMGDH

Well, he keeps saying white people owe him something, so let's all pitch in and get him a plane ticket to the Africa. Good riddance to bad garbage.

SMGDH

What would causes
you to believe that every captive slave lived in a "mudhut off of flies"?

You didn't become this ignorant accidently.

SMGDH

What kind of misinformed ignorance causes you to believe that every captive slave lived in a "mudhut off of flies"?

Do you think they were living in mansions by the waterfront?

SMGDH

What kind of misinformed ignorance causes you to believe that every captive slave lived in a "mudhut off of flies"?

Really? Thats an amazingly stupid question. Of course they did not. But in spite of your abject misinformed ignorance, these WERE human beings with families.

Its these type of comments that are always a great reminder of how backward some are who post here.

Its a relief that this forum is not an accurate barometer of the overall intelligence of society.

SMGDH

Really? Thats an amazingly stupid question. Of course they did not. But in spite of your abject misinformed ignorance, these WERE human beings with families.

Its these type of comments that are always a great reminder of how backward some are who post here.

Its a relief that this forum is not an accurate barometer of the overall intelligence of society.

Who says they were NOT human beings? Nobody has said anything like that. Of course the people who were sold by their tribe leaders were poor and considered the lowest rungs of their society. I'm sure their living conditions were difficult to say the least!

SMGDH

No kidding, such as black people demanding that white people who had nothing to do with slavery to "pay them" reparations? Lol. Good grief.

Multiple forms of slavery and servitude have existed throughout Africa during history and were shaped by indigenous practices of slavery as well as the Roman institution of slavery[citation needed] (and the later Christian views on slavery), the Islamic institutions of slavery via the Arab slave trade, and eventually the Atlantic slave trade.[1] Slavery was a part of the economic structure of African societies for many centuries, although the extent varied.[1] Ibn Battuta, who visited the ancient kingdom of Mali in the mid-14th century, recounts that the local inhabitants vied with each other in the number of slaves and servants they had, and was himself given a slave boy as a "hospitality gift."[3] In sub-Saharan Africa, the slave relationships were often complex, with rights and freedoms given to individuals held in slavery and restrictions on sale and treatment by their masters.[4] Many communities had hierarchies between different types of slaves: for example, differentiating between those who had been born into slavery and those who had been captured through war.[5]

"The slaves in Africa, I suppose, are nearly in the proportion of three to one to the freemen. They claim no reward for their services except food and clothing, and are treated with kindness or severity, according to the good or bad disposition of their masters. Custom, however, has established certain rules with regard to the treatment of slaves, which it is thought dishonourable to violate. Thus the domestic slaves, or such as are born in a man’s own house, are treated with more lenity than those which are purchased with money. ... But these restrictions on the power of the master extend not to the care of prisoners taken in war, nor to that of slaves purchased with money. All these unfortunate beings are considered as strangers and foreigners, who have no right to the protection of the law, and may be treated with severity, or sold to a stranger, according to the pleasure of their owners."
Travels in the Interior of Africa, Mungo Park, Travels in the Interior of Africa v. II, Chapter XXII – War and Slavery.

The forms of slavery in Africa were closely related to kinship structures. In many African communities, where land could not be owned, enslavement of individuals was used as a means to increase the influence a person had and expand connections.[6] This made slaves a permanent part of a master's lineage and the children of slaves could become closely connected with the larger family ties.[1] Children of slaves born into families could be integrated into the master's kinship group and rise to prominent positions within society, even to the level of chief in some instances.[5]However, stigma often remained attached and there could be strict separations between slave members of a kinship group and those related to the master.[6]

Chattel slavery[edit]
Chattel slavery is a specific servitude relationship where the slave is treated as the property of the owner. As such, the owner is free to sell, trade, or treat the slave as he would other pieces of property and the children of the slave often are retained as the property of the master.[7] There is evidence of long histories of chattel slavery in the Nile river valley and Northern Africa, but evidence is incomplete about the extent and practices of chattel slavery throughout much of the rest of the continent prior to written records by Arab or European traders.[7]

SMGDH

Who says they were NOT human beings? Nobody has said anything like that. Of course the people who were sold by their tribe leaders were poor and considered the lowest rungs of their society. I'm sure their living conditions were difficult to say the least!

You think? Or you know for a fact? Its likely way above your head, but there are many first hand stories of former slsves in existence that are accesible out there that prove otherwise.

These black people who were sold as slaves were probably ALREADY slaves to begin with. Does that make it any better? Of course not, but it is a fact to keep in mind, as a lot of people seem to assume that slave traders just went and kidnapped people out of their houses to be sold as slaves. Most of the people who were sold to slave traders were already slaves and were traded.

You're sure? Or you know for a fact? Its likely way above your head, but there are many first hand stories of former slsves in existence that are accesible out there that prove otherwise.

Post them up then. Why wouldn't you post these along with your post?

Forum List

Back