What to Realistically Expect from the 44th President

The founders believed a whole host of things. There were many of them. Some of them made concessions on various issues. They had disagreements, and not all their statements are enshrined in the Constitution.

This should be pretty obvious from the Federalist Papers.

Which is why a I gave quotes from a broad spectrum of the founders. Hamilton and Jefferson were nearly complete opposites, and John Adams had his disagreements with both. Throw in John Marshall and Ben Franklin and you've got a nice collage of different political philosophies that all agree that a Democracy is unsustainable, thus they gave us a Republic.

Incorrect. Our country was founded as a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. The two words are not interchangeable. Unlike the words "nation" and "country," which are interchangeable.

*sigh*. Nobody claimed they were interchangable. However we also live in a Democracy.

From Wiki:

In political theory, democracy describes a small number of related forms of government and also a political philosophy. Even though there is no universally accepted definition of 'democracy',[4] there are two principles that any definition of democracy includes. The first principle is that all members of the society have equal access to power and the second that all members enjoy universally recognized freedoms and liberties.[5][6][7]

And hey, we have both of those things. Ergo, we are a Democracy.

Which is why a I gave quotes from a broad spectrum of the founders. Hamilton and Jefferson were nearly complete opposites, and John Adams had his disagreements with both. Throw in John Marshall and Ben Franklin and you've got a nice collage of different political philosophies that all agree that a Democracy is unsustainable, thus they gave us a Republic.

They were talking about a Direct Democracy. Hence why they gave us the Constitution and BoR.

It's the Wiki Generation.....why do kids bother going to school to learn?

Wiki is good for basic information. Like the difference between a Democracy and a Republic. Perhaps you are unaware of this, but some of us have a need for more than basic knowledge.

Wiki is good for basic information. Like the difference between a Democracy and a Republic. Perhaps you are unaware of this, but some of us have a need for more than basic knowledge.

Boy, you told me!

Can I have some Jeopary Music please!

What to Realistically Expect from the 44th President

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down our pants.

Oh, wait, that's vaudville.

Never mind.

Ron Paul was objecting to the bank bailout in 2005

Before the US House of Representatives, May 4, 2005

Mr. Speaker, H.R. 1185, the Federal Deposit Insurance Reform Act, expands the federal government's unconstitutional control over the financial services industry and raises taxes on all financial institutions. Furthermore, this legislation increases the possibility of future bank failures. Therefore, I must oppose this bill.

I primarily object to the provisions in H.R. 1185 which may increase the premiums assessed on participating financial institutions. These “premiums,” which are actually taxes, are the primary source of funds for the Deposit Insurance Fund. This fund is used to bail out banks that experience difficulties meeting commitments to their depositors. Thus, the deposit insurance system transfers liability for poor management decisions from those who made the decisions to their competitors. This system punishes those financial institutions that follow sound practices, as they are forced to absorb the losses of their competitors. This also compounds the moral hazard problem created whenever government socializes business losses.

In the event of a severe banking crisis, Congress likely will transfer funds from general revenues into the Deposit Insurance Fund, which would make all taxpayers liable for the mistakes of a few. Of course, such a bailout would require separate authorization from Congress, but can anyone imagine Congress saying no to banking lobbyists pleading for relief from the costs of bailing out their weaker competitors?

Reject Taxpayer Bank Bailouts by Rep. Ron Paul

Forum List

Back