What to Realistically Expect from the 44th President

I wonder how people would rate George W. Bush on this?

I suppose it would depend on who was doing the rating USDJ, but IMHO George Bush falls far short in the test for honoring the office of President of the United States as did Bill Clinton. Both men for very seperate reasons.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams

"We are a Republican Government. Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of Democracy... It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity." - Alexander Hamilton

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos." - John Marshall

The problem with this is you are not in line with the definitions of the words.

Look up the word Democracy in any dictionary and you will find that a democratic republic is a type of democracy.

The problem with this is you are not in line with the definitions of the words.

Look up the word Democracy in any dictionary and you will find that a democratic republic is a type of democracy.

Republic - The "people" vote for Representatives to make important decisions in their government.

Democracy - The people have complete control over their governments.

Obviously they are different forms of government, as our founders knew.

you are some intenet poster.

I will refer to all the dictionarys for the definition of the owrds instead of you just like the rest of the world would.

you are some intenet poster.

I will refer to all the dictionarys for the definition of the owrds instead of you just like the rest of the world would.

Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, John Marshall, and Benjamin Franklin were not some internet posters, however. They too recognized the difference between a Republic and a Democracy.

Also...

"... and to the Republic, for which it stands. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I wonder how people would rate George W. Bush on this?

well on the plus side, i don't think he ever sought favor outside of elections.

on the minus side, he used the constitution for toilet paper and Congress, by abrogating its duty to act as a counterbalance to the executive, made it worse.

Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, John Marshall, and Benjamin Franklin were not some internet posters, however. They too recognized the difference between a Republic and a Democracy.

Also...

"... and to the Republic, for which it stands. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Yes they made a democratic republic for us to enjoy and even they knew a democratic republic was a type of democracy because those words were already defined that way back then.

Why is it the people on the right feel compelled to not accept these facts?

What is the reasoning?

Yes they made a democratic republic for us to enjoy and even they knew a democratic republic was a type of democracy because those words were already defined that way back then.

Why is it the people on the right feel compelled to not accept these facts?

What is the reasoning?

Did you not read the quotes from them that I put up? The quotes that they're saying how a Democracy is basically unsustainable, which is why they chose to form a Republic?

Who said they weren't different?

Also...

Omg. It doesn't say we are a country in the pledge either. We must be living in one huge city!

Kevin, I don't think there's a point to this anymore, do you?

Definitely not.

He tries to generalize conservatives as being too stubborn to accept facts after he posts his "insight" as to what the founders believed or knew about Democracies and Republics, despite the fact that I provided quotes from the founders that completely disprove what he thinks he knows.

Who said they weren't different?

Omg. It doesn't say we are a country in the pledge either. We must be living in one huge city!

Truthmatters has been saying this ever since I corrected him earlier in the topic.

Actually it does say "...one nation, under God..."

Definitely not.

He tries to generalize conservatives as being too stubborn to accept facts after he posts his "insight" as to what the founders believed or knew about Democracies and Republics, despite the fact that I provided quotes from the founders that completely disprove what he thinks he knows.

I will say, though, that I have learned quite a bit today about what kind of voters have been drinking the kool-aid :eek:

Truthmatters has been saying this ever since I corrected him earlier in the topic.

Incorrect. Actually hes been saying that one encompasses the other, which is true. But merely because one concept encompasses the other does not mean they are the same thing.

Actually it does say "...one nation, under God..."

So you admit it doesn't say country, eh?

I will say, though, that I have learned quite a bit today about what kind of voters have been drinking the kool-aid :eek:

Gee, lemme guess. You think anyone who thinks differently than you is brain-washed. How terribly original, and terribly idiotic of you.

Definitely not.

The founders believed a whole host of things. There were many of them. Some of them made concessions on various issues. They had disagreements, and not all their statements are enshrined in the Constitution.

This should be pretty obvious from the Federalist Papers.

Incorrect. Actually hes been saying that one encompasses the other, which is true. But merely because one concept encompasses the other does not mean they are the same thing.

So you admit it doesn't say country, eh?

Incorrect. Our country was founded as a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. The two words are not interchangeable. Unlike the words "nation" and "country," which are interchangeable.

Forum List

Back