what to do ...what to do.....o hell what to do?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
hubby grows mushrooms.....he calls me the other day and says...the mushroom you go nuts over are up....well i am not into mushrooms....so i wonder over to this logs...and there are the indian pipes or corpse plant or ghost pipe...i love them....of course....they are hard to find and once you find a patch you hope they spread..except for this...

Here's how it works: Since Indian Pipe has no chlorophyl, it can't make its own food like most plants. Therefore, it has to "borrow" nutrients, either from decaying plant matter, or from another organism. The way it does this is by having its roots tap into the mycelia (root-like threads) of a fungus. The Indian Pipe can then take nutrients directly from the fungus. Meanwhile, the fungus itself has another relationship going on with a tree. The fungus's mycelia also tap into the tree's roots. Many fungi and trees have this type of relationship -- it's called a "mycorrhizal relationship." The fungus gives nutrients to the tree and the tree gives nutrients to the fungus. Both organisms help each other out.

Indian Pipe, however, does not give anything back to the fungus or the tree. It takes nutrients from the fungus that the fungus had gotten for itself, and it also takes nutrients that the fungus had received from the tree. Since the fungus then has to take more nutrients from the tree, this makes Indian Pipe a parasite of both the fungus and the tree.

indian pipe

hubby grows mushrooms.....he calls me the other day and says...the mushroom you go nuts over are up....well i am not into mushrooms....so i wonder over to this logs...and there are the indian pipes or corpse plant or ghost pipe...i love them....of course....they are hard to find and once you find a patch you hope they spread..except for this...

Here's how it works: Since Indian Pipe has no chlorophyl, it can't make its own food like most plants. Therefore, it has to "borrow" nutrients, either from decaying plant matter, or from another organism. The way it does this is by having its roots tap into the mycelia (root-like threads) of a fungus. The Indian Pipe can then take nutrients directly from the fungus. Meanwhile, the fungus itself has another relationship going on with a tree. The fungus's mycelia also tap into the tree's roots. Many fungi and trees have this type of relationship -- it's called a "mycorrhizal relationship." The fungus gives nutrients to the tree and the tree gives nutrients to the fungus. Both organisms help each other out.

Indian Pipe, however, does not give anything back to the fungus or the tree. It takes nutrients from the fungus that the fungus had gotten for itself, and it also takes nutrients that the fungus had received from the tree. Since the fungus then has to take more nutrients from the tree, this makes Indian Pipe a parasite of both the fungus and the tree.

indian pipe

now if i tell him...he will destroy the pipes....might i mention his logs didnt spawn this year....and were taken over by an invading fungus.....if i dont tell him...he will be wasting a lot of time and effort....or should i just stay out of it...

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

this will cause turmoil in our home.

no.....why did this double post....they do not get you high.....you realize that srooms that get you high ....do it ...cause they are poison?

He is a grown man capable of doing research himself. Let HIM discover the method those mushrooms feed. You have no obligation to tell him unless you feel his needs outweigh yours, which is acceptable by the way. But so is not telling him.

the ghost pipes are not mushrooms...they are flowers.....

thanks del for the merging....you are the best....

del is always my favorite mod..unless i am talking with another mod

I think I'm failing to see the problem.

Isn't the goal mushrooms?

If so then the tree is fertilizer and its fate is not relevent.

Forum List

Back