What to do if we run out of oil?

Peak oil will be realized it's only a matter of time.

Nuclear is our best option for our power needs. Electricity can replace petroleum products for heating homes and electric cars will continue to improve.

Diesel engines can run on oil from renewable sources and of course waste cooking oil can be recycled.

Solar and wind, in my opinion, are supplemental sources not primary.

The liquid metal batteries seem to offer a way to make the wind and solar easier to phase into the grid, and allow a much larger role for them in the energy formulay. However, the answer has always been 'all of the above'. Nuclear definately has a place in the future energy supply of this nation.

What to do if we run out of oil?

Are you kidding, or are you just trolling to see if there is any potential for peak oil religious converts in this particular forum? We once had one of those missionaries, but we threw him back as he wasn't fully grown. We never did get a replacement with functioning neurons.

LOL... still renting time in your dumb head, I see.

Jiggsy! You just get back from a long vacation in the pokey, or maybe you ran off to peak oil churchcamp to try and get a better handle on all the stuff you were ignorant about before? In either case, welcome back! Lets hope you brought a few more billion brain cells with you though, you were getting a bit long of tooth before.

JiggsCasey said:
I still drop in from time to time only to witness you jacking yourself to the same dumb premises over and over again.

yes...that is what people do when they know they can't participate anymore because they can only take so much looking incompetent. No fear, you are hardly the first!

JiggsCasey said:
How are those annual depletion rates holding on shale gas/oil plays since we last spoke? 25%? 35%?

Well, oil production in the United States in the past 15 years has had an aggregate depletion rate of...WAIT FOR IT....0 PERCENT! Thats right, 15 years of decline erased by the tight oil of the Bakken and Eagleford.

But don't you worry Jiggsy, peak oil is so bad lately that I've been driving the monster truck just because gasoline prices have dropped so much. I suppose the spring gouging will start soon, so I'll be back on the scooter or bicycle, but that's the breaks until we can get some more decent peak oil price increases back into crude.

JiggsCasey said:
I"M talking about building nuclear and other means that don't have to rely on it. Can it be done and continue having the civilization that we have today.

No, it can't. Nuclear, wind and solar won't move freight.

Good thing that most crude is used to move fat Americans around in SUVs then! So we just get them off into a decent EV and presto, all the oil they wasted can go to the things it should really be used for. And really, come to think of it, if I consider commuting "people freight", then certainly nuclear, wind and solar can all be used (individually or in combination) to move "commuting freight" as it were. I already use all three! Well, two anyway, no nukes in my neck of the woods. Lots of wind, reasonable amounts of solar though. And the explosion in natural gas production, no need to talk about that.

You need to catch up on things Jiggsy, that exponential growth in types of power generation hasn't been sleeping while you were finding a new rock to pop out from under.

JiggsCasey said:
We'll never "run out" of oil. It will (and already is) simply get more expensive than the middle-class consumer can afford, and will push the fragile world economy into systemic meltdown ... a process that is already well underway. ... and a concept our "nothing to see here" contingent of cornucopians continues to avoid like the plague, .... and with good reason, because the "how do we pay for it" question dumps their retarded overall argument on its ass. Every time.

Oh, lets give the old Jiggsey nonsense a break, try some NEW Jiggsey nonsense instead! Crude gets more expensive, and us consumers buy an EV and stop worrying about it. Admittedly mine still uses a little every now and then, but seriously, once you replace liquid fuels with electricity, it is tough to go back except for the fun factor, sportcars, motorcycles and the like. The pure rush of hydrocarbon powered transport does have an appeal, but so does the quiet "whoosh!" of the electric off to work. Try one Jiggsey, you'll like it, and maybe then you'll stop bleating like a sheep.

Peak oil will be realized it's only a matter of time.

Of course, no one even ARGUES about that. The problem is that people define peak oil different ways, and when an ignoramus like Jiggsy gets involved, he assumes when someone says "peak oil", they don't actually mean "maximum production rate followed by terminal decline" but TEOTWAEKI and all sorts of Rapture nonsense.

Oil is already obsolete, it just doesn't know it yet. It will figure it out, and in the meantime I'll be spending my money on something other than shipping it off to other countries for something I don't need much of anymore. Once you go electric, you don't go back!

SkullPilot said:
Solar and wind, in my opinion, are supplemental sources not primary.

Maybe, but they work pretty darn good even in that configuration.

What to do if we run out of oil? I understand that electricy doesn't really rely on it that much, but our trains certainly carry the coal(40 percent of energy) and food certainly does. Should we decrease our need of coal and oil by going over to nuclear, wind and solar??? For transport maybe we can make "electric" trains that run on the energy grid?

I"M talking about building nuclear and other means that don't have to rely on it. Can it be done and continue having the civilization that we have today.

I am not worried about it. The sooner we run out of it the better.

Mankind will survive.

What's going to happen if, ummm an asteroid hits earth or the Mayans were right? We aren't running out of oil or coal and in the next two hundred years we might get a handle on alternate energy unless left wing fascism turns the US into a 3rd world country.

What's going to happen if, ummm an asteroid hits earth or the Mayans were right? We aren't running out of oil or coal and in the next two hundred years we might get a handle on alternate energy unless left wing fascism turns the US into a 3rd world country.

Why do all the threads turn into partisan hackery?

World Oil Production is still rising in the face of the Peak Oil Nay Sayers!

This rise in oil production happened even as Iran has been embargoed forcing their enormous oil production to plummet.

Sure it is. But nobody in the industry believes it can go on indefinitely. There is plenty of oil out there for the next few hundred years. But it's deeper in the Ocean, or less dense in the shale.

What we are seeing right now is a increased production thanks to increased prices. At $100+ a barrel oil is profitable that wasn't at $70 a barrel. At $150 a barrel even more is available. But eventually the cost will become prohibitive. And we are just starting to see that escalation now (which is really what peak oil is all about).

I don't entirely disagree with you about ethanol. But I do think corn ethanol isn't the way to go. There are much more efficient methods of producing the stuff that has been developed. Some of which won't require massive percentages of our food producing acreage.

"We" won't run out of oil. In a hundred or two hundred years sometime in 20220 they might have to consider it but unless the fascists still run the government the private sector might have some solutions. Meanwhile we have to consider the way pop-culture seems to just adore the rich Saudi princes but condemn the hard working Americans who run oil companies.

No, we won't run out of oil In fact, we will continue using it in spite of the obvious affects of burning fossil fuel. However, a some point, it will become too spendy for most people to use as the motive power for their vehicles. You see, recoverable reserves go up as the price goes up. However, there is a point where the public will seek out alternatives as the price gets beyond their means.

It's "too spendy" right now. The price of oil is artificially kept high as a political lever. The private sector no doubt will come up with alternatives to fossil fuel in the future and the best thing the US can do for the economy right now is to become independent of foreign oil and make sure energy is cheap enough to keep the cost of living down and encourage industrial development. It's all a lesson in political hypocrisy. The Hussein administration used more energy in useless jaunts around the Country than all the SUV's use in a year.

This rise in oil production happened even as Iran has been embargoed forcing their enormous oil production to plummet.

Sure it is. But nobody in the industry believes it can go on indefinitely. There is plenty of oil out there for the next few hundred years. But it's deeper in the Ocean, or less dense in the shale.

What we are seeing right now is a increased production thanks to increased prices. At $100+ a barrel oil is profitable that wasn't at $70 a barrel. At $150 a barrel even more is available. But eventually the cost will become prohibitive. And we are just starting to see that escalation now (which is really what peak oil is all about).

I don't entirely disagree with you about ethanol. But I do think corn ethanol isn't the way to go. There are much more efficient methods of producing the stuff that has been developed. Some of which won't require massive percentages of our food producing acreage.

Oil production is controlled by the elite politics in every country in the world. They wield ultimate power over us citizens. J.D. Rockefeller of the Standard Oil monopoly bought congress & passed Prohibition of Alcohol to eliminate Alcohol/Ethanol from fueling automobiles & competing with oil. Now the oil companies funded the scientifically discredited Pimentel & Patzek studies claiming ethanol uses more energy than it creates & drives up food & gas prices. J.D. Rockefeller of the Standard Oil built Rockefeller Center to house the biggest media companies in the USA & has used that media centers power to blast the airwaves & news papers with their biased ethanol research propaganda. They have very effectively brainwashed most of the population.

You brainwashed idiots also fail to comprehend the facts. Corn Ethanol creates more food than without ethanol. 98% of all corn went to feed livestock who's digestive tract is designed for grass & leaves. Livestock do a poor job digesting corn causing digestive & health problems with the animals & huge methane gas emissions. But livestock grow 30% faster on 15% less (distillers dried grains)-DDG feed when the corn is broken down into easily digested DDG feed at ethanol plants. The Corn Ethanol used to get emitted from the livestock as Methane Gas which is 15 times worse Greenhouse Gas than (Carbon Dioxide)-CO2. Now that potential corn methane is turned into ethanol before the DDG feed is fed to livestock.

Besides the fact that Corn Ethanol increased food production & eliminated the 15 times more damaging than CO2 Methane Emitions from corn fed livestock. Corn Ethanol also replaced the highly toxic MTBE additive in gasoline that was polluting our water supply. Corn ethanol has created so much food infact that China complained to the WTO & launched an investigation into how the US farmers wer dumping so much DDG feed & corn into their country at prices far below what their farmers could produce DDG feed & Corn.

Since you mindlessly parroted that corn ethanol is not efficient. Can you tell me what size tractor & equipment Pimentel or Patzek used in their study as an energy input to farming? What size field were they using in that study? Was that tractor & equipment 10 times to big for the field? Did that bias the energy input by showing far more fuel, rubber, steel, etc was consumed farming the corn used to make ethanol? The studies are packed with biased fiction, yet they are always used to rebut anyone who favors Ethanol to Oil.

These elite have been playing people like you for suckers forever. For over 130 years they have been telling you we were at Peak Oil to justify high prices & wars. They make fortunes off of you suckers who will go to your grave believing Ethanol is bad & paying high gas price is ok because of Peak Oil.

Last edited:
We will not run out of oil, there will always be oil in the ground. Our ability to extract it will diminish over time.

The best thing we can do is to change the way we live our lives and how our societies are built.

New fuels and technologies will certainly have a grounding in the future, but the way we live now will be a luxury, as it already has become so for so many people.

Oil production is controlled by the elite politics in every country in the world. They wield ultimate power over us citizens. J.D. Rockefeller of the Standard Oil monopoly bought congress & passed Prohibition of Alcohol to eliminate Alcohol/Ethanol from fueling automobiles & competing with oil. Now the oil companies funded the scientifically discredited Pimentel & Patzek studies claiming ethanol uses more energy than it creates & drives up food & gas prices. J.D. Rockefeller of the Standard Oil built Rockefeller Center to house the biggest media companies in the USA & has used that media centers power to blast the airwaves & news papers with their biased ethanol research propaganda. They have very effectively brainwashed most of the population.

You brainwashed idiots also fail to comprehend the facts. Corn Ethanol creates more food than without ethanol. 98% of all corn went to feed livestock who's digestive tract is designed for grass & leaves. Livestock do a poor job digesting corn causing digestive & health problems with the animals & huge methane gas emissions. But livestock grow 30% faster on 15% less (distillers dried grains)-DDG feed when the corn is broken down into easily digested DDG feed at ethanol plants. The Corn Ethanol used to get emitted from the livestock as Methane Gas which is 15 times worse Greenhouse Gas than (Carbon Dioxide)-CO2. Now that potential corn methane is turned into ethanol before the DDG feed is fed to livestock.

Besides the fact that Corn Ethanol increased food production & eliminated the 15 times more damaging than CO2 Methane Emitions from corn fed livestock. Corn Ethanol also replaced the highly toxic MTBE additive in gasoline that was polluting our water supply. Corn ethanol has created so much food infact that China complained to the WTO & launched an investigation into how the US farmers wer dumping so much DDG feed & corn into their country at prices far below what their farmers could produce DDG feed & Corn.

Since you mindlessly parroted that corn ethanol is not efficient. Can you tell me what size tractor & equipment Pimentel or Patzek used in their study as an energy input to farming? What size field were they using in that study? Was that tractor & equipment 10 times to big for the field? Did that bias the energy input by showing far more fuel, rubber, steel, etc was consumed farming the corn used to make ethanol? The studies are packed with biased fiction, yet they are always used to rebut anyone who favors Ethanol to Oil.

These elite have been playing people like you for suckers forever. For over 130 years they have been telling you we were at Peak Oil to justify high prices & wars. They make fortunes off of you suckers who will go to your grave believing Ethanol is bad & paying high gas price is ok because of Peak Oil.

I just saw a show on the history channel where Rockefeller tried to sabatoge electric lighting because it would ruin the sale of kerosene for oil lamps.

He was going against JP Morgan, Telsa, and Edison.

But then along came the internal combustion engine and it was happy days again for him.

We will not run out of oil, there will always be oil in the ground. Our ability to extract it will diminish over time.

You are correct. However, this exact thing has been going on for more than a century now, so it is not a surprise that the same effect will continue forward.

Reality91 said:
The best thing we can do is to change the way we live our lives and how our societies are built.

Been doing that as well. Go get yourself one of these, and stop worrying about what the little numbers at the gas station say.

VoltInSnow-e1293390814439.jpg

You are correct. However, this exact thing has been going on for more than a century now, so it is not a surprise that the same effect will continue forward.

Reality91 said:

Been doing that as well. Go get yourself one of these, and stop worrying about what the little numbers at the gas station say.

I'd love to. Spare change?:razz:

Reality91 said:

In this economy most can only afford one of these 150mpg bikes!

bike%2Bmotor.jpg

Last edited:

I'd love to. Spare change?:razz:

No. With current tax breaks they are a few thousand more than the median car price in America, which just cracked $30G's I believe. So if you are worried about the oil you use, the next time you buy a car, buy one which doesn't require you to use much gasoline.

Forum List

Back