What to cut: The Federal Budget

Stop with your winger links

And as asked of you NUMEROUS times before, asshole troll, explain thru known economic standards how raising taxes improves a private market economy.... you continually ignore the request to prove your point, and you continually ignore and go back to your common troll tactic of posting winger links and little Bush pictures

Raising taxes and demonstrating fiscal discipline led to a decline in interest rates on both public and private debt. Lower interest rates incented higher investment.

Wait, I'm sorry. Did you say that "Fiscal discipline lead to a decline in interest rates"?

Is that what we're seeing now, Trillion + deficits as a sign of fiscal discipline? If that were true shouldn't rates be oh, I dunno 14, 15 18% today?

Does reality ever enter into Progressive Economics?

Can you engage in honest debate or will you simply cherry pick until you gt the data that supports your bias?

Can you read the very specific words I wrote or are you incapable of doing sp?
United States Unemployment Rate
Here the UE rate rose as a result of the recession to a whopping 6.3%(remember Democrats screaming about Bush's "jobless recovery"??). It declined thereafter every month to under 4.5%.

Read my post again. I said nothing about unemployment. you should really read what people write before kneejerking.

Heres GDP growth,
United States GDP Growth Rate
Note the rate is positive for every period after Jan 2002.

It's almost like I said that right there in my post! Moderate growth driven primarily by MEW's. oh wait - I did say that right there in my earlier post!.

When the MEW's ended, the growth ended. If conservatarians want to run on the beauty and success of debt fueled growth in a volatile sector, go for it. Just don't get annoyed when we point out the results.

Wait, I'm sorry. Did you say that "Fiscal discipline lead to a decline in interest rates"?

Yes.

Is that what we're seeing now, Trillion + deficits as a sign of fiscal discipline?

No, what we're seeing now is an economy with a significant output gap where investors are running to treasuries. The usual crowding-out scenario doesn't apply when private investors chose treasuries as a safe haven and there's nothing to crowd.

If that were true shouldn't rates be oh, I dunno 14, 15 18% today?

no. in a full-employment economy government debt crowds out private investment. In an environment well below full employment with the widest output gap in decades, private investment isn't crowded out.

The reality that you are wrong, again? Yes, that enters often. In a simpleton world where the economy is stuck at permanent full employment and those not working are just taking an extended vacation your little comparison would work.

So, Conservatives are talking about cutting the federal budget. Is this to reduce the deficit, or to eliminate federal programs designed to help American citizens?

Let's take a look.

One poster said eliminate the Department of Education. Fine. That will eliminate federal grants to college students. that means fewer people will have a shot at higher education. The Conservatives have already made it lucrative for corporations to outsource our manufacturing base by so called "free trade" agreements, granting Most Favored Nation status to Communist China and granting tax breaks to companies moving operations out of America. Now, they want to make damn sure the American worker is sub-par in education as well.

Oy,
Yeah, because without gov't handing out money no one would ever go to college, right?:cuckoo:

College tuitions have risen faster than the inflation rate every year for probably the last 30. A very big factor in this is the wide availability of gov't grants and loans, which insulate families from price concerns for college.
Meanwhile the number of people in college who really have no business being there increases.
So gov't intervention in the education market (like every other market) has overall been detrimental to education, not an aid to it.
I suppose the G.I. Bill really screwed us too. All those ex-service men and women had no business being in college. All those degrees were worthless and all those careers launched as a result were shams? Please.

We see the benefits of education every day and in every sector of the economy.

No, you're changing the subject because you don't like the facts I've presented. Foul. Post WW2 and the GI Bill are irrelevant to a discussion about the Dept of Education, which didnt exist back then.
We see the perils of poor education even more every day. There are hundreds of skilled jobs that go begging every day because people were tracked to college, where they wasted time and money, instead of being encouraged to develop employable skills.

Can you engage in honest debate or will you simply cherry pick until you gt the data that supports your bias?

Can you read the very specific words I wrote or are you incapable of doing sp?
United States Unemployment Rate
Here the UE rate rose as a result of the recession to a whopping 6.3%(remember Democrats screaming about Bush's "jobless recovery"??). It declined thereafter every month to under 4.5%.

Read my post again. I said nothing about unemployment. you should really read what people write before kneejerking.

Heres GDP growth,
United States GDP Growth Rate
Note the rate is positive for every period after Jan 2002.

It's almost like I said that right there in my post! Moderate growth driven primarily by MEW's. oh wait - I did say that right there in my earlier post!.

When the MEW's ended, the growth ended. If conservatarians want to run on the beauty and success of debt fueled growth in a volatile sector, go for it. Just don't get annoyed when we point out the results.

You keep changing the subject because the answers dont' support your bias.
We had continuous growth for a longer period post war than any other period except that of Reagan.
Unemployment is one measure of the health of an economy, as the Dems are finding out now. That's why Imention it. You don't because it doesn't support your argument.
If you want to criticize debt fueled growth you can start with the Obama Administration, which raised GDP solely by goosing gov't spending.

So the Left has basically two strings:
1) The GOP screwed up so don't re-elect them.
2) If they GOP does get in, what are they going to do different?

On 1,while true (the Republicans thought they could become popular by pushing Democratic policies) we see what the Democrats did when they get in office. They turned the second best economy post war into crap and have compounded their mistakes every day. The GOP was thoroughly beaten up in 06 and 08 and even now the party bulls are in fear from Tea Party candidates.

On 2, here's the list from Cato Institute.
Downsizing the Federal Government

Bush 01 to 08 was the second best economy since WWII?

please

Oy,
Yeah, because without gov't handing out money no one would ever go to college, right?:cuckoo:

College tuitions have risen faster than the inflation rate every year for probably the last 30. A very big factor in this is the wide availability of gov't grants and loans, which insulate families from price concerns for college.
Meanwhile the number of people in college who really have no business being there increases.
So gov't intervention in the education market (like every other market) has overall been detrimental to education, not an aid to it.
I suppose the G.I. Bill really screwed us too. All those ex-service men and women had no business being in college. All those degrees were worthless and all those careers launched as a result were shams? Please.

We see the benefits of education every day and in every sector of the economy.

No, you're changing the subject because you don't like the facts I've presented. Foul. Post WW2 and the GI Bill are irrelevant to a discussion about the Dept of Education, which didnt exist back then.
We see the perils of poor education even more every day. There are hundreds of skilled jobs that go begging every day because people were tracked to college, where they wasted time and money, instead of being encouraged to develop employable skills.
My defense of the Department of Education was based, in this argument, on college grant money. You refuted that argument with:
So gov't intervention in the education market (like every other market) has overall been detrimental to education, not an aid to it

And now you state:
No, you're changing the subject because you don't like the facts I've presented

Get it together, Rabbi! You can't move the goal posts, clear the field and declare victory.

Anyone ever notice those graphs that show such a sharp rise during the Bush era but less growth before and after looks like a "fuck you symbol"?

Left to Progressives we'd still be funding federal programs for wooden teeth and buggy whips.

Besides weapons systems, is there any government program that can be cut?

Last edited:

Yes.

Is that what we're seeing now, Trillion + deficits as a sign of fiscal discipline?

No, what we're seeing now is an economy with a significant output gap where investors are running to treasuries. The usual crowding-out scenario doesn't apply when private investors chose treasuries as a safe haven and there's nothing to crowd.

no. in a full-employment economy government debt crowds out private investment. In an environment well below full employment with the widest output gap in decades, private investment isn't crowded out.

The reality that you are wrong, again? Yes, that enters often. In a simpleton world where the economy is stuck at permanent full employment and those not working are just taking an extended vacation your little comparison would work.

Reagan ran up huge deficits and rates were lower than under Carter, Obama has run up deficits bigger that the budgets of most countries than almost ever nation on the planet and rates are lower than under Reagan.

Can you show us when this "Crowding" actually occurred?

Last edited:
You keep changing the subject because the answers dont' support your bias.

This is quite a bizarre "conversation". you make a statement. I respond to that statement with a fact-based counterargument.

you accuse me of changing the subject.
We had continuous growth for a longer period post war than any other period except that of Reagan.

Huh? The longest period of growth post war started in the second quarter of 1991 and ended in the first quarter of 2001.

Unemployment is one measure of the health of an economy, as the Dems are finding out now. That's why Imention it.

Except you mentioned it to rebutt my statistic about total employment. In other words, you changed the subject.

We do have a crowding effect today. The Regulations and Strangulation of the US Real Estate, Finance and Insurance Sectors by the Federal government clearly is crowding out private investments.

I'll grant you that

We do have a crowding effect today. The Regulations and Strangulation of the US Real Estate, Finance and Insurance Sectors by the Federal government clearly is crowding out private investments.

I'll grant you that

The stock market is up over 40% since Obama took office. Finance and Insurance sectors are experiencing record profits. Apparently your hypothesis is better than theirs.

The department of Education. Next?

i know that's not something the rightwingnuts make much use of... but some of us think it's important.

what percentage of the federal budget is the department of education?

now what percentage of the federal budget are military expenditures?

Personally I don't have a problem with cutting miitary spending. Simply because I don't believe the military should be involved in a lot of what it's doing. I think the operative word in Department of Defense is DEFENSE. We don't believe we should be spending troops to nation build or world police.

As the the Department of Education, the fed really doesn't have the constitutinaly authority to have one. Education is not their job. Leave it to the states.

I agree with you in part about our military involvement. But there are places where we have a military interest where it would be wonderful if we didn't... but we do.

As for federal involvement in education. It's clear that it falls under the general welfare clause and I'm not going to get into a debate on the issue in this context.

DOD - I got no problem with taking a $2 cut here for every dollar taken from somewhere else, but let there be significant, crippling cuts from everywhere else.

DOD - I got no problem with taking a $2 cut here for every dollar taken from somewhere else, but let there be significant, crippling cuts from everywhere else.
You described other cuts as "crippling". Why? Do you think a 2:1 cut in defense would be "crippling"? Do you want to cripple other programs because____?

It's amusing as hell. Bush's tax cuts for the 5% at the top of our economic ladder was financed with debt. Wingnuts applauded it, claiming that it would bring about significant economic growth. Well those rich businesses are certainly raking it in, by moving American jobs off-shore. I'm left to conclude that wingnuts aren't going to be happy until we turn our great nation into a third world shithole.

Yes.

I'll grant you that

The stock market is up over 40% since Obama took office. Finance and Insurance sectors are experiencing record profits. Apparently your hypothesis is better than theirs.

Yes, if you ignore how much the Capital Markets swooned because we had elected a Marxist, then yes, the stock market is doing peachy keen as are the banks and the insurance companies.

All is well in ObamaVille

Last edited:

Forum List

Back