What, then, does Judaism teach about Satan?

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Always wondered were Christians got the physical satan stuff and his hell, never came from Judaism

If God is all there can not be anything out side off a God

The Hebrew word "Satan" means "Hinderer." To hinder someone means to hold him back, to try to prevent him from doing something. G-d created the Hinderer to give us work to do in this world (see my article Why did G-d Create the World?). Satan is here to make things difficult for us, so we can overcome our evil temptations, and PASS the test. That is the purpose of Satan. Satan is an angel whose purpose has been determined by G-d.

Temptation is there to try and deter us. It gives us the ability to do the wrong thing. More importantly, it gives us the ability to look at evil and refuse to do it. By presenting us with the opportunity to do evil, it gives us the ability to choose between good and evil.

Satan is not, as the Christians think, a rebellious angel. How impossible! The angels are spiritual and holy, without any physical or unholy presence, and the presence of Hashem's holiness permeates them entirely. Angels, unlike humans, are therefore constantly and fully aware of Hashem's Presence everywhere. Could you stay dry in the ocean? An angel could not stop being holy, and can do no wrong. There is holiness everywhere in Creation, everywhere in the universe, and angels are made of the same thing. An angel could not stop serving G-d even if he tried.

Furthermore, humans have Satan to tempt us. Angels have no Satan to tempt them. Who would be Satan's Satan? An ultra-Satan?

The truth is that Satan has a job to do, just like every other angel. And angels have no free will. They do as Hashem commands them.

A man once came to a great Rabbi, very troubled. He said to the Rabbi, "Please pray to Hashem to take away my Evil Inclination. I do so many sins, and I want to stop sinning!"

The Rabbi answered, "Then what would be your purpose in this world, if you had no Evil Inclination? Your purpose in life is to overcome your personal Evil Inclination. That is what you were created for! Hashem has enough angels in heaven. He doesn't need one more. He created you human, so that you could improve yourself."

Does Judaism Believe in Satan?

Judaism does not believe in the devil, but we do believe in Satan (who more properly should be called "the Satan"). As this demonstrates, the Jewish view of Satan is very different than the Christian one.

S.C.J. FAQ: Section 12.35. Jewish Thought: What does Judaism believe about Satan?

Satan | Jewish Virtual Library

If you don't believe in Satan what would you call the creature who teaches others that the law really doesn't matter and the real way to eternal life is by worshiping a lifeless matzo made by human hands and then eating it for spiritual life.

The Jabberwock?

• Banned
Judaism does not believe in the devil, but we do believe in Satan (who more properly should be called "the Satan"). As this demonstrates, the Jewish view of Satan is very different than the Christian one.

S.C.J. FAQ: Section 12.35. Jewish Thought: What does Judaism believe about Satan?

If you don't believe in Satan what would you call the creature who teaches others that the law really doesn't matter and the real way to eternal life is by worshiping a lifeless matzo made by human hands and then eating it for spiritual life.

The Jabberwock?
Funny no? that the matzo has no supernatural powers in Judaism

The Jabberwock?
Funny no? that the matzo has no supernatural powers in Judaism

Funny? Yes. One day all people will look back on these very strange days and laugh. Right now, not so funny.

Fear not! I have the vorpal sword in hand!

Last edited:
Satan..... Adversary....If you stand in my way and do not let me pass you are being Satawn to me... The Muslims understand it the same way that is why they call the United States the big Satan and the Israelis the little Satan... Pretty simple and straightforward it is Christianity that has changed this simple concept and butchered its original meaning but hey they have done that with everything so why be surprised....

Satan..... Adversary....If you stand in my way and do not let me pass you are being Satawn to me... The Muslims understand it the same way that is why they call the United States the big Satan and the Israelis the little Satan... Pretty simple and straightforward it is Christianity that has changed this simple concept and butchered its original meaning but hey they have done that with everything so why be surprised....

its not that Christianity changed this simple concept, the concept was perverted when Christianity, not to mention Judaism, were assimilated by the Roman empire and turned the adversary into a preternatural invisible disembodied entity who tries to inhabit peoples heads like a spiritual parasite in order to make them do bad things, which really isn't that far off the mark.

Here the mythological creatures of Jewish scripture are clearly identified as the adversary.

"He laid hold of the Dragon--the ancient serpent--who is the Devil and the Adversary, and bound him for a thousand years, and hurled him into the bottomless pit." Revelation 20:2

BTW, the original talking serpent, Satan, the Adversary, may be representative of a species of creature, a deceptive and degenerate human being, long dead and forgotten, but that does not mean that the Adversary is extinct or that the direct descendants of such a particular species of human being do not still exist in actual reality and roam freely unseen among us dressed up like an angel of light.

The lions that stalked and ate your ancestors were not any more lethal than the ones who are still roaming the wilderness today who are not any less lethal.

Imagine if you went out into a city believing that lions no longer existed or that demons and ghouls were just some pagan Christian delusion or the Adversary was just an elusive evil inclination, hindrance, temptation, or invisible angel of God? You might as well walk naked through the Serengeti drenched in the blood of a goat.

Isn't it true according to your own scriptures that the talking serpent had absolutely nothing whatever to do with God or being an angel of God and opposed the will of God and taught Adam and Eve to do the same, exactly like some people still do?

Last edited:
Look at it from a scientific sense;
When you create an action you also defer an adversary or hinderance to that action.
(David Bohm's theorem and
Kohn's theorem together combine to prove interconectivity and opposite effects/entities.) The adversary was Babylon, then Rome, then Mystery Babylon embedded in Rome's one world religion which became a hinderence to the Idea of a third temple.
It's CREATED IMAGE false prophet The Fallen Morning Star (Rev 22:16) as the thief of the Night, became the HINDERANCE to the Rising Evening Star (Dan 12:1-4).
Hence Rome's 2 horn system became a hinderence as did it's mythical figure, seeking to thwart the "return- placing back"
of Israel and the Kohanim and the Temple.
Thwarting and hindering Shiloh from coming back to the inheritance and mankinds redemption.

The first fallen messiah is the hinderer the adversary of the rightful Moshiach who's rightful place he steals until it's overturned.

This means Jesus can't be the Moshiach, his coming first, falling, claiming to be the Morning star, claiming to be the thief of the Night all points to only one conclusion,
Jesus is made the hinderer from the authority on hindering.
He's my mirror opposite reaction, the result of an act (messaging) that creates the adversary affect and hinderance to that act, especially when it's trying to change something that previously occured.

It's why there's so many common elements between the 2 along with exact polar opposites. Similarly you have opposite entities like Uday that existed as adversary reactions and his emulation to the Historical (like Belshazadar) is secreted in the connectivity to the opposite but connected entity called Night.
I can't give details cause it's private info, but Shimon will attest to the theorems being very much validated and how this understanding can help foretell events and warn of probable problems with powerful figures.

4Q418 Frag. 77 2[ Understand or Seek? ] the secret of the way things are, and learn the nature of man and gaze at the faculties [ and workings or realities for] 3[ What ] has made him. Then you will understand the nature of mortal man and the weight of [ . . . ] 4his spirit, and learn the secret of the way things are, the weight of eras and the measure of [..TIME or works?..]

4Q418 Frag. 123 Col. 2 1[ . . . ] 7when years begin and when eras end [ . . . ] 3everything that has happened in it, why it was and what will be in [ . . . ] 4His era that He revealed to the ears of those who understand the secret of the way things are [ . . . ] 3you are one who understands, when you observe all these things [ . . . ] 6by its hand is the weighing of your deeds with the era [ . . . ]
4Q418 Frag. 123 Col. 2 1[ . . . ] 7Whatever He leaves with you, guard carefully [ . . . ] The sage asserts that his teaching comes from God.
"Sapiential Work" (4Q413)
"....I will teach you (Knowledge)and wisdom. And understand the ways of man and the works of Sons of Man......"
4Q4L7 Frag. 2 (+ 4Q418) Col. 1 1[ . . . ] you are one who understands [ . . . ] 2[ . . . ] the wonderful secrets [ . . . fearful things you will master . . . ] 3[ . . . **why things are and how they are*** . . . ] 4[ . . . why] 5[things are and why they continue to be ] 6[ . . . through Night meditate on the secret] of why things are and investigate it at all times, and then you will know truth and evil, wisdom 7[and falsehood . . . Consider the wicked in al1 their ways, with all their punishments throughout the world eras and the eternal punishment 8and then you will know the difference between good [and evil] deeds, for the God of knowledge is the confidant of Truth, and in the secret of the way things are 9He has made plain its basis [ . . . ] what is its nature and the governing principle of its deeds 10for every [ . . . ] He kas made plain to the mind of every [man] how to live by 11the nature of His understanding; and He has made plain [ . . . ] and by the faculty of understanding [He revealed] the enigmas of His purpose with blameless conduct [in all] His deeds. Inquire into these things at all times, give careful thought to al1 13their effects, and then you will know [eternal] glory with His wonderful secrets and His mighty deeds.
4Q413 Frag. 1 1Discipline [and insight] and wisdom I shal1 teach you. Now consider the ways of humanity and the activities of 2the human race. [ . . . ] a man. He enlarged his share in the knowledge of God's truth, and to the degree that that man loathes 3everything evil, [his judgment] shall not be affected by what his ears hear and what his eyes see.

Lol.... Good to see you are back Irosie... Who is the biggest Satan or adversary or hinderer to the " original " concepts of the Hebrew Scriptures ..... Think...... Who stands in the way and who by their vain vision continues to stand in the way ?.. Michael has answered it best and Hobe has tried in his own way.even though we have our differences of opinions If one wants the naked truth all one has to do is think it through and come to ones logical conclusion but one can only do this by removing ones ego and be willing to have egg on ones face by doing so but the truth will set one free and Satan will finally have no more power from hindering any of us....

well-------shimon-----in answer to your question as to "WHO"? I would change the "WHO" to 'what'--------the origin of THE ADVERSARY is in GREEK AND
ROMAN "culture"

Most of us have read the book of Job.

it is clear that you have not

Really, why do you say that.

the book is sublime and WAY ABOVE YOUR "HEAD"--------you may have looked
at it----but it would be impossible for you to actually READ IT------kinda like a dyslectic LOOKING at a copy of Gray's Anatomy

Isaiah 45:7King James Version (KJV)
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Was it not God who hardened the Pharaohs heart? Yes it was. The book of Job is easy reading. You just read more into it than need be.

The Interview Between the Lord and the Satan.b One day, when the sons of God* came to present themselves before the LORD, the satan also came among them.c 7The LORD said to the satan, “Where have you been?” Then the satan answered the LORD and said,d “Roaming the earth and patrolling it.” 8The LORD said to the satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him, blameless and upright, fearing God and avoiding evil.” 9The satan answered the LORD and said, “Is it for nothing that Job is God-fearing? 10Have you not surrounded him and his family and all that he has with your protection? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his livestock are spread over the land. e But now put forth your hand and touch all that he has, and surely he will curse you to your face.” 12The LORD said to the satan, “Very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on him.” So the satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

* [1:6] Sons of God: members of the divine council; see Gn 6:14; Dt 32:8; Ps 82:1. The satan: lit., “adversary” (as in 1 Kgs 11:14). Here a member of the heavenly court, “the accuser” (Zec 3:1). In later
biblical traditions this character will be developed as the devil (Gk. diabolos, “adversary”).

Most of us have read the book of Job.

it is clear that you have not

Really, why do you say that.

the book is sublime and WAY ABOVE YOUR "HEAD"--------you may have looked
at it----but it would be impossible for you to actually READ IT------kinda like a dyslectic LOOKING at a copy of Gray's Anatomy

Isaiah 45:7King James Version (KJV)
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Was it not God who hardened the Pharaohs heart? Yes it was. The book of Job is easy reading. You just read more into it than need be.

you are quite a joke-------why quote Isaiah in a discussion about the BOOK OF JOB? Isaiah did not write that book. You do not understand the words "G-d hardened Pharoah's heart"

The Interview Between the Lord and the Satan.b One day, when the sons of God* came to present themselves before the LORD, the satan also came among them.c 7The LORD said to the satan, “Where have you been?” Then the satan answered the LORD and said,d “Roaming the earth and patrolling it.” 8The LORD said to the satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him, blameless and upright, fearing God and avoiding evil.” 9The satan answered the LORD and said, “Is it for nothing that Job is God-fearing? 10Have you not surrounded him and his family and all that he has with your protection? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his livestock are spread over the land. e But now put forth your hand and touch all that he has, and surely he will curse you to your face.” 12The LORD said to the satan, “Very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on him.” So the satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

* [1:6] Sons of God: members of the divine council; see Gn 6:14; Dt 32:8; Ps 82:1. The satan: lit., “adversary” (as in 1 Kgs 11:14). Here a member of the heavenly court, “the accuser” (Zec 3:1). In later
biblical traditions this character will be developed as the devil (Gk. diabolos, “adversary”).

your "point"? did you fail English literature in high school TOO?

Forum List

Back