What the Israeli Public Really Thinks

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
I find public opinion polls fascinating, at least when they are real polls, as opposed to that manipulative pseudo-poll from a couple of weeks back, run by Peace Now’s Amiram Goldblum (Hebrew University, pharmacy studies) and his far-leftist cronies, claiming to “prove” Israelis were pro-apartheid. In the past the Israeli media used to publish 3 or 4 polls a week. The number dropped to near zero in recent years, and my guess is it is because the leftist media do not want you to know what Israelis actually think.

But with elections nigh, there are a lot of polls coming out. The one in a recent edition of Maariv is, I think, interesting. It is a survey of the general population (including Arabs), and a sub-survey just of those who identify themselves as leaning to the Right.

Of the general population, when asked if they favor the existence of a Palestinian state, 66% oppose, 11% favor, and 23% are undecided or have a more ambiguous position. Bear in mind that about 18% of Israelis are Arabs. When asked if they favor construction in the E-1 area between Jerusalem and the Maaleh Adumim suburb, which has been in the news recently as a “controversy,” 51% support construction, 9% oppose, and 40% are not sure (probably do not know what it is about). When asked about allowing Jews to pray on the Temple Mount, 71% support and 7% oppose. When asked what they think of Supreme Court judicial review of laws, 48% oppose it, 41% support, and only 10% did not know.

When restricted to Israelis defining themselves as leaning Right, 54% of these are secularists, 27% say they are religiously “traditionalist,” 11% modern Orthodox, and 8% Chareidi. This is notable because the media stereotype of the “Right” is as the ”Religious Right.” But more than half of rightists are secularist, larger probably than the numbers among the Left or Center. Women are more likely than men to identify with the Right, and the young more than the old.

Jroc, Jos, et al,

No matter where you go in the Middle East (Israel included), you are going to find a number of varying opinions as to what the US stands for, and what the influence (positive or negative) the US has had in the attempt to bring peace and stability to a region of the world that has no reputation for peace and stability (in fact, the opposite).

First, let me say, that you'll find that I am not just another pro-Israeli activist. In fact, I find there are many things about Israel and its policies, that I dislike. I don't trust Israel as an ally. Israel will act in Israel's best interest; sacrificing nothing for the US that is not absolutely in the best interest of Israel. But in understanding that, it is not an uncommon position for a country to take; politically. There are very few countries that will stick its neck out for the US.

• The little home movie of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and the translation, is propaganda. It may be that the PM actually said those little tid bits, and the the context is 100% correct. But in the end, is anything depicted or stated here wrong? The fact of the matter is, that there is a very strong pro-Israeli undercurrent in the US and the US can be swayed easier towards pro-Israeli positions and propositions, than one might think. So, is the PM Netanyahu making an idol boast? Probably, not so much. But one must also remember that the PM is a politician, and in speaking to his constituents, he has to present a positive attitude and project the impression that he is both strong and influential. And that is the key.

In the view of the average Israel, there is a natural tendency for the Israeli to place the concerns of their homeland first and up front. Again, that is not unusual. Most citizens put their country first. There are many in the US that hold an opinion that they support America - whether it is right or wrong. And this is not unique to the US.

• Israelis have a mixed attitudes and feelings towards the US. The average street citizen sees America as a land of friendly people, yet with an incompetent government. It is actually not unlike how Americans see themselves. But Israelis also know that much of the opinion held by Americans, is an opinion formed by second-hand information; and not the same as that experienced by the Israeli. Very few mothers and children in the US have had the frightening experience of having a 122mm or 333mm rocket land anywhere near them. So, the Israeli knows that when they hear that a CNN/ORC poll (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/11/19/rel17a.pdf) demonstrates 57% of Americans believe that Israel is justified in "taking military action against Hamas and the Palestinians in the area known as Gaza", while only 25% feel it is unjustified, --- they know that most of those Americans and their families have never experienced a rocket and mortar attack --- or seen (first hand) the devastation that a suicide bomber can bring.

Most Respectfully,
R

Yousef Mohammed is certainly a card!!! First we got something from him which appeared on the site of the Institute of Historical Review (the Holocaust Revisionist group). Now we are getting Justin Ramaindo (maybe Mr. Gooz can tell us why Justin dropped his first name of Dennis). It would really be more apropos for a Muslim like Mr. Gooz to tell us what the Muslims actually think of us Infidels. They certainly don't seem to have a problem with harassing and murdering the Infidels and burning down their houses of worship. So tell us Mr. Gooz -- what do your fellow Muslims think of us Infidels besides being monkeys, pigs and dogs? Do they listen to their clerics ranting and raving how the Christians and Jews must be killed and then follow through? It is actually more important to know what the Muslims think of us rather than the Jews since the Jews are so few in number when compared to the huge number of Muslims, and it isn't the Jews who are murdering innocent people in the name of their religion in many parts of the world. What is it with you Muslims that you can't even respect the shrines of others? And let's face it. It is not only in Mali as the following article describes, but all over the Muslim world -- even Muslims of one sect doing this to the shrines and holy places of other sects. Where is the tolerance for others?

Mali: Destruction Of Holy Shrines Continues In Timbuktu

Yousef Mohammed is certainly a card!!! First we got something from him which appeared on the site of the Institute of Historical Review (the Holocaust Revisionist group). Now we are getting Justin Ramaindo (maybe Mr. Gooz can tell us why Justin dropped his first name of Dennis). It would really be more apropos for a Muslim like Mr. Gooz to tell us what the Muslims actually think of us Infidels. They certainly don't seem to have a problem with harassing and murdering the Infidels and burning down their houses of worship. So tell us Mr. Gooz -- what do your fellow Muslims think of us Infidels besides being monkeys, pigs and dogs? Do they listen to their clerics ranting and raving how the Christians and Jews must be killed and then follow through? It is actually more important to know what the Muslims think of us rather than the Jews since the Jews are so few in number when compared to the huge number of Muslims, and it isn't the Jews who are murdering innocent people in the name of their religion in many parts of the world. What is it with you Muslims that you can't even respect the shrines of others? And let's face it. It is not only in Mali as the following article describes, but all over the Muslim world -- even Muslims of one sect doing this to the shrines and holy places of other sects. Where is the tolerance for others?

If you don't agree with a quote from a source, debate it or prove it wrong with a sound argument, not just silly name calling.

I don't know any Justin ramaindo, did you mean
Justin Raimondo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
Why ask me about the Muslim opinion, I'm not a Muslim,
Neither am I from Timbuktu.

I find public opinion polls fascinating, at least when they are real polls, as opposed to that manipulative pseudo-poll from a couple of weeks back, run by Peace Now’s Amiram Goldblum (Hebrew University, pharmacy studies) and his far-leftist cronies, claiming to “prove” Israelis were pro-apartheid. In the past the Israeli media used to publish 3 or 4 polls a week. The number dropped to near zero in recent years, and my guess is it is because the leftist media do not want you to know what Israelis actually think.

But with elections nigh, there are a lot of polls coming out. The one in a recent edition of Maariv is, I think, interesting. It is a survey of the general population (including Arabs), and a sub-survey just of those who identify themselves as leaning to the Right.

Of the general population, when asked if they favor the existence of a Palestinian state, 66% oppose, 11% favor, and 23% are undecided or have a more ambiguous position. Bear in mind that about 18% of Israelis are Arabs. When asked if they favor construction in the E-1 area between Jerusalem and the Maaleh Adumim suburb, which has been in the news recently as a “controversy,” 51% support construction, 9% oppose, and 40% are not sure (probably do not know what it is about). When asked about allowing Jews to pray on the Temple Mount, 71% support and 7% oppose. When asked what they think of Supreme Court judicial review of laws, 48% oppose it, 41% support, and only 10% did not know.

When restricted to Israelis defining themselves as leaning Right, 54% of these are secularists, 27% say they are religiously “traditionalist,” 11% modern Orthodox, and 8% Chareidi. This is notable because the media stereotype of the “Right” is as the ”Religious Right.” But more than half of rightists are secularist, larger probably than the numbers among the Left or Center. Women are more likely than men to identify with the Right, and the young more than the old.

so, the israelis are bigoted asses who hate everyone who isn't what they consider as chosen by their god. this isn't exactly news.

Last edited:

so, the israelis are bigoted asses who hate everyone who isn't what they consider as chosen by their god. this isn't exactly news.

So you’re a clueless idiot, The modern state of Israel was not founded by religious Jews. Funny you have no problem with muslims slaughtering their own it's only the Jews that seem to bother you, that says it all

Last edited:

If you don't agree with a quote from a source, debate it or prove it wrong with a sound argument, not just silly name calling.

So I spelled Justin's last name wrong. Big deal!!! I have read enough of him in the past about things he has said and done and have no respect for him. Certainly you, Yousef Mohammed, probably eat up every word he utters. And how about the Holocaust Revisionist Group you brought up. Are we supposed to debate those NeoNazi Jew-hating liars? By the way, how do you feel about the Sunnis destroying the shrines of your Shiite brethren? You don't even have to answer as to how you Muslims think about us Infidels. I think all the Infidels have a very good idea about this. You can deny it, but I think you are a Muslim -- maybe not a practicing one since you left your country of origin, but a Muslim nevertheless. It appears that anti-Semitic posters, Muslims or not, conveniently overlook what is actually happening in different locations in the world to just concentrate on one tiny piece of real estate only because the Jews are involved. Muslims killing Muslims and destroying each others shrines and holy places??? No problem at all to many of the posters, but let's run to the hate sites and see what they say about the Jews.

Jroc, Jos, et al,

No matter where you go in the Middle East (Israel included), you are going to find a number of varying opinions as to what the US stands for, and what the influence (positive or negative) the US has had in the attempt to bring peace and stability to a region of the world that has no reputation for peace and stability (in fact, the opposite).

First, let me say, that you'll find that I am not just another pro-Israeli activist. In fact, I find there are many things about Israel and its policies, that I dislike. I don't trust Israel as an ally. Israel will act in Israel's best interest; sacrificing nothing for the US that is not absolutely in the best interest of Israel. But in understanding that, it is not an uncommon position for a country to take; politically. There are very few countries that will stick its neck out for the US.

• The little home movie of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and the translation, is propaganda. It may be that the PM actually said those little tid bits, and the the context is 100% correct. But in the end, is anything depicted or stated here wrong? The fact of the matter is, that there is a very strong pro-Israeli undercurrent in the US and the US can be swayed easier towards pro-Israeli positions and propositions, than one might think. So, is the PM Netanyahu making an idol boast? Probably, not so much. But one must also remember that the PM is a politician, and in speaking to his constituents, he has to present a positive attitude and project the impression that he is both strong and influential. And that is the key.

In the view of the average Israel, there is a natural tendency for the Israeli to place the concerns of their homeland first and up front. Again, that is not unusual. Most citizens put their country first. There are many in the US that hold an opinion that they support America - whether it is right or wrong. And this is not unique to the US.

• Israelis have a mixed attitudes and feelings towards the US. The average street citizen sees America as a land of friendly people, yet with an incompetent government. It is actually not unlike how Americans see themselves. But Israelis also know that much of the opinion held by Americans, is an opinion formed by second-hand information; and not the same as that experienced by the Israeli. Very few mothers and children in the US have had the frightening experience of having a 122mm or 333mm rocket land anywhere near them. So, the Israeli knows that when they hear that a CNN/ORC poll (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/11/19/rel17a.pdf) demonstrates 57% of Americans believe that Israel is justified in "taking military action against Hamas and the Palestinians in the area known as Gaza", while only 25% feel it is unjustified, --- they know that most of those Americans and their families have never experienced a rocket and mortar attack --- or seen (first hand) the devastation that a suicide bomber can bring.

Most Respectfully,
R

Tx, for the international analysis of the US relationship with Israel...the way I see it, things have done a 180 degree turn since Israel's inception in 1948...Harry Truman fresh from WWll victories had to insure US dominance of the oil routes and Israel became our puppet state. Fair enough one hand washed the other. It was a win, win...

Today however the US does not actually need a puppet state because her military might can easily be projected as in Iraq, and Afghanistan...

America has purposely dwindled her reliance on ME oil, from around 70 percent to presently 17 percent...

Israel too sees the writing on the wall...America's strategic interests are waning and Israel will act in her strategic interests because she fears the future...Israel has two choices...1. keep bucking World-Wide opinion and become isolated or two. Make a real peace by creating an atmosphere of friend-ship and trade.

Nothing creates a safe peace like trade and prosperity. Israel needs to do another 180 degree turn and listen to the ideas of the original founders of the Jewish State.

Last edited:

So I spelled Justin's last name wrong. Big deal!!! I have read enough of him in the past about things he has said and done and have no respect for him. Certainly you, Yousef Mohammed, probably eat up every word he utters. And how about the Holocaust Revisionist Group you brought up. Are we supposed to debate those NeoNazi Jew-hating liars? By the way, how do you feel about the Sunnis destroying the shrines of your Shiite brethren? You don't even have to answer as to how you Muslims think about us Infidels. I think all the Infidels have a very good idea about this. You can deny it, but I think you are a Muslim -- maybe not a practicing one since you left your country of origin, but a Muslim nevertheless. It appears that anti-Semitic posters, Muslims or not, conveniently overlook what is actually happening in different locations in the world to just concentrate on one tiny piece of real estate only because the Jews are involved. Muslims killing Muslims and destroying each others shrines and holy places??? No problem at all to many of the posters, but let's run to the hate sites and see what they say about the Jews.
You dont even know my country of origin, You are most certainly wrong in thinking I am, or ever was a Muslim. The post you reference to had no Holocaust® revision content, maybe somewhere else on the same site, why does Holocaust® revision scare you into silence, Pinocchio?

I am confused. Was roudy not communicating with JOS in farsi?
Jos----you know farsi but you are NOT from Iran? or you are
from Iran and not a MUSLIM? so what are you? zoroastrian?
I am not suggesting that you are a PRACTICING anything---but
everyone in the world has some kind of------religion back
there in the family tree------of course you need not answer----but
you confuse me

If one can read and speak English, that does not automatically mean you are British,
likewise I speak eight languages, although I am not a citizen of seven of those countries

If one can read and speak English, that does not automatically mean you are British,
likewise I speak eight languages, although I am not a citizen of seven of those countries

That is very interesting Jos-----I have known lots of people from lots of
different countries I have known NON IRANIANS who do speak farsi ---
in fact -----all of the non iranians who speak farsi-----were muslims---some
from India. An interesting factoid that I know is that in some
SHIITE MUSLIM SCHOOLS the kids get a choice between ARABIC
and FARSI ok now----of course you need not divulge----but I
am still curious Farsi is not like French or English----it is not a common
CHOICE in the USA

I speak both Arabic and Farsi, I dont live in the USA, although I do have a SSN and a green card
I know you served in the US navy, and sometimes wonder, by your use of such colorful language, if you did in fact serve as a stoker?

You dont even know my country of origin, You are most certainly wrong in thinking I am, or ever was a Muslim. The post you reference to had no Holocaust® revision content, maybe somewhere else on the same site, why does Holocaust® revision scare you into silence, Pinocchio?
Perhaps it is you who should be called Pinocchio. Right before your article from your friend Justin you posted something from the Institute of Historical Review, which is a NeoNazi Holocaust Revisionist group. I guess Yousef Mohammed doesn't realize that a member of this group admitted years ago that the actual reason for this revisionism is to show that the Nazis weren't really that bad and didn't kill as many so that National Socialism (Nazis) could become a viable political party once again. Maybe Yousef Mohammed would like to see the Nazis rise again to finish off his enemies -- the Jews.

I speak both Arabic and Farsi, I dont live in the USA, although I do have a SSN and a green card
I know you served in the US navy, and sometimes wonder, by your use of such colorful language, if you did in fact serve as a stoker?

nope not a stoker----based on FARSI AND ARABIC I will assume you are a shiite muslim--- at least in BACKGROUND

Justin Raimondo belongs to the anti Semites are us crowd. All your sources are neo Nazi IslamoNazi scumbags like yourself. Fucking looser. Ha ha.

If you speak both Farsi and Arabic, you either are Muslim or the Muslims who's dick you've been sucking forced you to learn it. Same shit.

Forum List

Back