What the hell is wrong with the GOP?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 5stringJeff, Oct 4, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Yesterday, I got home and went through the mail. Among bills and coupons was yet another survey from one of several Republican fundraising committees, asking me my opinion of what Congress should do. An it dawned on me: the GOP has run the House since 1994, and the Senate since 2002. WTF is the GOP doing? Resting on its laurels? We elected the current House members to pass the GOP agenda, not to hobnob in DC and whine about how the terrible minority Democrats are opposing their agenda. So freakin' what? Use the majority you've got and start passing the GOP platform into law!!! :mad: If the GOP had effective leadership, we would have already 1) reformed Social Security, 2) reformed the federal government's role in education, 3) totally revised the tax code, and 4) ended illegal immigration, just to name a few. Instead, I'm getting surveys about how cautiously the GOP should tread!!!

I blame Tom DeLay and Bill Frist for having zero testicles between the two of them. Where are the real leaders in the GOP, and why aren't they stepping up to the plate?!?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I am so glad that some fellow GOP folk have been expressing their reservations with the tide that has been hitting for almost a year now. Welcome to my world and write to the representatives. For my part, I've already notified Ken Melman that I will not work on suggested campaigns/phone lists, until I see some changes.

I suggest some of you might wish to check out the Porkbusters campaign by bloggers. The savings may be small-but they've already met with some positive responses-nothing like influential readers! (ie. check out the demographics on blog readers). There is also a 'Not one more dime campaign" that is aimed at witholding donations to GOP until they address the issues.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I don't know. :)

4. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hit the nail on the head. That's why the folks who voted for these guys have to face reality-the agenda they ran on was designed to get your vote, not to predict what they would actually do. There is usually a balance of power in some sense in our government. The present is an exception. So what's holding them back? Obviously they don't want to do what they promised. They never intended to. Sorry, but the people who voted GOP got hosed!

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    What a waste, what a waste!!

The GOP has taken the opportunity of a lifetime, born during the Reagan years,
    developed further in 94 (By Newt) and then 2000-04. They had the world by the balls.
    And what have they done with this opportunity?
    Well, unless you consider spending like a drunken sailor an accomplishment, NOT A DAMN THING!!IMO

6. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    they are affraid of not being reelected and they are "reaching" out to the left.

take the war spending out of the budget and it is my understanding that spending as dropped

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    No way...I think the national drug plan is the biggest spending program in history. Or at least since LBJ. We can slice and dice and crunch the numbers in anyway that makes them look good...Fact is I've NEVER seen so much $$$$
    doled out to social programs in my entire life without positive action in other areas. IMO, except for the tax cut, they have done NOTHING. I support the WOT, but even that is in neutral, IMO..DO SOMETHING DAMIT!!! If yer going to war, go break things an kill people and get er done! Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz Can ya tell I'm PISSED!???????? :eek2:

EDIT: But you're right, they are "reaching" out to the left. The problem is they forgot their base..The ones that brought em to the dance.

8. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Gotta agree with ya P. What a totally wasted huge opportunity for the GOP. This last SCOTUS appointment is the proberbial straw. I think the conservative base has taken all it can take, which has been a whole lot.

I'd like to know why Bush has to pussyfoot around with a basically unknown candidate. What the hell is wrong with appointing a tried and proven conservative candidate? There is nothing wrong with having a solid conservative judge. Why not just appoint one upfront and out in the open and to hell with the howlers on the left? The GOP has the power and needs to use it....but as you have pointed out, they have done a damn poor job of it.

I think they've pretty much lost the conservative base because they are seeking a moderate base instead. I don't think I could stomach McCaine or Guiliani in 2008. We conservatives need a new leader and maybe a new party?

9. USViking

USViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Right you are.

The Republicans are not going to be in the majority forever,
    and the end may come sooner or later if they do not stop
    emulating the Democrats' spending habits of c1956-1994.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Thankfully they are using a much smaller hose than the Dems intended to use on everybody! That makes a big difference,Nuc.