What the hell is that?

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Uhhh... I don't know... What is that?

Well, I certainly don't know what it is, and apparently neither does anyone else. But it looks pretty damn cool. Unless it is portal to another dimension opening so as to allow invaders to take over Earth.

Lord John Whorfin, are you out there?

Mystery as spiral blue light display hovers above Norway | Mail Online

By Mail Foreign Service and Will Stewart
Last updated at 5:00 PM on 09th December 2009

A mysterious light display appearing over Norway last night has left thousands of residents in the north of the country baffled.

Witnesses from Trøndelag to Finnmark compared the amazing sight to anything from a Russian rocket to a meteor or a shock wave - although no one appears to have mentioned UFOs yet.

The phenomenon began when what appeared to be a blue light seemed to soar up from behind a mountain. It stopped mid-air, then began to circulate.

article-1234430-07887B10000005DC-48_634x421.jpg

article-1234430-0787DEA4000005DC-908_634x348.jpg

article-1234430-0787DEA8000005DC-890_634x342.jpg

'It spun and exploded in the sky,' Totto Eriksen from Tromsø told VG Nett.
He spotted the lights as he walked his daughter Amalie to school.

He said: 'We saw it from the Inner Harbor in Tromsø. It was absolutely fantastic.

'It almost looked like a rocket that spun around and around and then went diagonally down the heavens.

'It looked like the moon was coming over the mountain, but then came something completely different...'

Celebrity astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told VG Nett he had never seen anything like the lights.

He said: 'My first thought was that it was a fireball meteor, but it has lasted far too long.

'It may have been a missile in Russia, but I can not guarantee that it is the answer...'

Tromsø Geophysical Observatory researcher Truls Lynne Hansen was certain the light had been caused by a missile launch.

He told Norwegian media that the missile had likely lost control and exploded. The spiral, he claimed, was the result of light reflecting on the leaking fuel. He was quoted as saying the light was sunlight, despite the strange lights showing up at night.

The Barents Observer quoted Norwegian Defence spokesman Jon Espen Lien as saying that the Norwegian military does not know what the lights were - but that they were probably from a Russian missile.

He said it was normal for Russia to use the White Sea and the Barents Sea as a testing ground for missiles...

The Russian Defence Ministry was unavailable for comment last night.

Read more: Mystery as spiral blue light display hovers above Norway | Mail Online

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQA1d0QQvf8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQA1d0QQvf8&feature=related[/ame]

Probably a Russian missile.

Last edited:
Al Gore flying by to check the glaciers for Obama. Possibly an escaped black hole from CERN. Actually it was the mother ship from a galaxy far far away, but if you'll just look into the neuralizer (flash), you saw a giant swirl in the sky from a blue light. Thank you.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;1794472 said:
Probably a Russian missile.

Any news regarding whether radar picked anything up?
No, but there are reports that this was a failed test of Russia's new multi-stage ICBM, the Bulava. As the missile spiraled out of control, two different stages were likely leaking fuel, resulting in the two different spirals.

Awesomely bizarre light show freaks out Norway | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Sounds plausible. I wonder whether anyone's radar or intel picked up any signs of a launch or debris (not that I'm certain they'd publish it)

Entering Warp drive gives off that effect. But it is against intergalactic nav rules to enter warp space within an atmosphere?

Entering Warp drive gives off that effect. But it is against intergalactic nav rules to enter warp space within an atmosphere?
I'm not too familiar with the Federation regulations, but I'm pretty sure the Ruskies just broke half-a-dozen interplanetary treaties...

I'm not too familiar with the Federation regulations, but I'm pretty sure the Ruskies just broke half-a-dozen interplanetary treaties...

the Confederation not federation. You must be referring to Star Trek instead of reality.

I didn't think going to warp was allowed within the solar system.

In TMP (movie) warp drive couldn't be engaged within the solarsystem for fear of stellar bodies and possible damage to the system(whatever that means)...kirk even states in his log that they would have to risk engaging the warp-drive while still in the solar-system...(now I dunno if this has to do with the engine "imbalance" or not...)

Now, in ST: FC, Cochrane engaged warp 1 (at least lightspeed mind you) not only in the solar system (w/o a deflector or debris shield), and only got a bit past the moon!)...also in every subsequent trek flic after tmp warp in a system was fine...hell in ST:IV voyage home, they warped while still in the Earth's atmosphere!
Am I missing something here? I mean yes its fiction, but shit.
These discussions make me :lol:.

Forum List

Back