What the hell is going on in our schools?

TheEnemyWithin said:
More idiotic crap....There you lib-tards go again, jumping on every little thing as "homophobic" or a "Chrisitan agenda". Did it ever occur to you that the Left has an agenda to turn our kids into hookers?? Yeah, teach fifth graders how to put condoms on bananas. :puke3:

Thanks for reinforcing the stereotype of neocons as idiotic morons.

Is your drool cup full yet?

Kindest Regards,

Andy

Merlin1047 said:
Some of us are getting more than just a little tired of the philosophy of the ACLU, the courts and the far left which seems to be that it is acceptable to deny a thousand christians their right to worship in public because they may offend one atheist.

Actually, the ACLU has fought to UPHOLD the right of Christians to worship or proclaim their religion in public. For instance, there was the case of a hospital worker fired for wearing a cross, and the ALCU fought for her right to wear a cross, suing the Hospital.

As far as Christian bashing - if "Christians" would stop doing asinine things, like say, murdering doctors in the name of the lord, or marching through streets with hate mongering signs of intolerance, then secularists might be less inclined to object to what they see as a blight on society.

I'm not taking sides here - hard core anti-religious nuts are as bad as hard core fundamentalists. I see extremism here as the real problem. The "live and let live" concept that I believe was a guiding force in the Bill of Rights seems to be lost as the centuries have brought us "interpretations" that at times seem capricious.

Regards,

Andy

CivilLiberty,

You state:

As far as Christian bashing - if "Christians" would stop doing asinine things, like say, murdering doctors in the name of the lord, or marching through streets with hate mongering signs of intolerance, then secularists might be less inclined to object to what they see as a blight on society.

Perhaps unintentionally....you just lumped all "Christians" into the category of "murdering doctors" and protesting with "hatemongering signs of intolerance," implying that "Christians" are to blame for the prejudicial and rude treatment they have been facing of late...and that if "Christians" would simply stop these things than everyone would treat them better.

Later...you briefly mention that you are speaking only of "extremists" but you do not go into such example on the side of the "secularists" as you already had with the "Christians."

It seems to me that this post implies, intentionally or not, that "Christians" bring this treatment on themselves...and secularists are only reacting to the "extreme" behavior of the "Christians"

I find that to be incredibly unfair to the vast, VAST majority of Christians who are simply trying to live their lives the way they choose, not harming anyone...and are being treated as ignorant bigots because of it.

Gem said:
Perhaps unintentionally....you just lumped all "Christians" into the category of "murdering doctors" and protesting with "hatemongering signs of intolerance," implying that "Christians" are to blame for the prejudicial and rude treatment they have been facing of late..

I put "christians" in quote, as I don't believe that anyone that murders doctors to be a Christian at all. But therein lies the point: some bad people that apparently follow the antichrist give ALL Christians a bad name.

And as far as "of late" - let's be real - death and torture in the name of god has been perpetrated by Christians for nearly two thousand years. Does this make all Christians bad? No, but it certainly casts a shadow on them all in the minds of some.

A few muslim terrorists make all muslims seem like hate mongering assholes, a few zionist jews make them all seem like pricks, etc etc etc.

I make a distinction between extremists - the point of my post is that most people don't. It's human nature to "lump". And if you don't want to be lumped, you need to speak out against whatever it is you don't want to be lumped as.

If more Christians were vocal, speaking out against doctor murdering and christian hate groups, there's be a lot less lumping.

Having said that, can you give me an example of a secularist murdering in the name of secularism or committing terror in the name of secularism?

Regards,

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
Having said that, can you give me an example of a secularist murdering in the name of secularism or committing terror in the name of secularism?

secularism: indifference to or rejection or exclusion of religion and religious considerations

the stalinist purges

manu1959 said:
secularism: indifference to or rejection or exclusion of religion and religious considerations

the stalinist purges

That's a stretch. The Stalinist purges were purely political, and part of his communist regime, not at all part of the secular movement.

Regards,

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
That's a stretch. The Stalinist purges were purely political, and part of his communist regime, not at all part of the secular movement.

This differs from the lefts agenda how?

So communist isnt secular now? What they religious? i suppose in a way they are the religious left.

Zhukov said:

Okay. Hmm, interesting. So communists, who happen to be secular as a result of their atheism, have done some nasty things.

Hey, communistic totalitarian governments do some nasty things. Imagine that. Of course, totalitarian communist governments do not speak for secular humanists any more than doctor murdering fundamentalists speak for Christians.

In fact, you might say that secular communists are as far apart from secular humanists, as Muslims are from Christians.

And this raises a question, I'm curious how you'd answer:

Do you Christians believe that the secular movement has anything to do with the totalitarian governments of certain communist states?

A

CivilLiberty said:
And this raises a question, I'm curious how you'd answer:

Do you Christians believe that the secular movement has anything to do with the totalitarian governments of certain communist states?

A

Like, duh.

By your methodolgy, religious governments should be the most gentle - oh wait a minute, wasn't the Taliban a religious government? How about Iran? Perhaps we could look at the Inquisition in Spain? Shall I go on?

acludem

acludem said:
By your methodolgy, religious governments should be the most gentle - oh wait a minute, wasn't the Taliban a religious government? How about Iran? Perhaps we could look at the Inquisition in Spain? Shall I go on?

acludem

Show me an established secular country and government that has been successful AND allowed people to worship as they please. When you find one, kindly leave it alone. It doesn't need your interference.

dilloduck said:
Show me an established secular country and government that has been successful AND allowed people to worship as they please. When you find one, kindly leave it alone. It doesn't need your interference.

[Sarcasm]
But of course it does! If it lets people worship as they please that means it allows them to attempt to convert others, which means they are allowed to actually talk to you about their religion. This is an unnecessary invasion of religion in all of our lives. And what if somebody in Government actually uses the moral codes of his religion to base his/her decisions on?!
[/Sarcasm]

Forum List

Back