What the hell happened to my Country.........

A

archangel

Iv'e just about had it with the ilk of Gabby,Hillary,Teddy,John and the rest...
I for one am really tired of the rhetoric of pulling the race card,accusing conservatives of racism etc...war is bad... support the enemy...just understand where he or she is comming from..yuk....enough is enough...

I can remember back in 1962 my last year of High School before moving on to College and serving my country in the VN era...My best bud (Norm) and I put on our lettermens sweaters and went to POP(Pacific Ocean Park) a amusement park on a pier in Santa Monica California...Now I went to Burroughs HS in Burbank,California...and Norm went to Polytechnic in Sun Valley,California...We both went to competitive schools... grew up together before I moved to Burbank.

To make the story short....well we were having a great time hitting on all the "Surfer girls" Norm was a greasser and I was a surfer...great mix eh...at any rate in the process we were surrounded by a large group of black males from a Los Angeles inner city HS...well they said they were going to kick our asses...now being the fact that Norm and I were small in stature...even though we did earn our sweaters...we were starting to sweat bullets...then out of nowhere came the cavalry...a large group of lettermen from Orange County came to our rescue...they said if ya want to fight we stand together..
I learned a great lesson from this...even tough we did compete on the field...well,they would and did support us off the field.

Now you are probably saying to yourself...What the hell has this to do with racism...well the point being... it is nothing new..it happened way back in 1962 and way before that...nothing new and nothing exclusive of whites only...minorities also commit discrimination...they wanted to kick our asses just because we were a couple of white guys who were doing well(at the moment) with the surfer girls...I never was prejudice before or after this incident...I just took it as kids will be kids....food for thought!

Now having said this...why is it that we never see kids running around in their lettermens jackets or sweaters anymore...maybe they should take out and dust off the "Oldies" records pre 1969! :dance:

archangel said:
Iv'e just about had it with the ilk of Gabby,Hillary,Teddy,John and the rest...
I for one am really tired of the rhetoric of pulling the race card,accusing conservatives of racism etc...war is bad support the enemy...just understand where he or she is comming from..yuk....enough is enough...

I can remember back in 1962 my last year of High School before moving on to College and serving my country in the VN era...My best bud (Norm) and I put on our lettermens sweaters and went to POP(Pacific Ocean Park) a amusement park on a pier in Santa Monica California...Now I went to Burroughs HS in Burbank,California...and Norm went to Polytechnic in Sun Valley,California...We both went to competitive schools... grew up together before I moved to Burbank.

To make the story short....well we were having a great time hitting on all the "Surfer girls" Norm was a greasser and I was a surfer...great mix eh...at any rate in the process we were surrounded by a large group of black males from a Los Angeles inner city HS...well they said they were going to kick our asses...now being the fact that Norm and I were small in stature...even though we did earn our sweaters...we were starting to sweat bullets...then out of nowhere came the cavalry...a large group of lettermen from Orange County came to our rescue...they said if ya want to fight we stand together..
I learned a great lesson from this...even tough we did compete on the field...well,they would and did support us off the field.

Now you are probably saying to yourself...What the hell has this to do with racism...well the point being... it is nothing new..it happened way back in 1962 and way before that...nothing new and nothing exclusive of whites only...minorities also commit discrimination...they wanted to kick our asses just because we were a couple of white guys who were doing well(at the moment) with the surfer girls...I never was prejudice before or after this incident...I just took it as kids will be kids....food for thought!

Now having said this...why is it that we never see kids running around in their lettermens jackets or sweaters anymore...maybe they should take out and dust off the "Oldies" records pre 1969! :dance:

Got mine from 1970 but it's too frickin hot and we probably would be busted under some gang law anyway.

Kind of ties into this story, doesn't it?

Milwaukee's black leaders say the enemy is within
By John Rondy, Reuters

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - Two days before the oldest and best-known U.S. civil rights group holds its yearly convention in Milwaukee, black leaders in the city say their community is being torn apart from the inside.

Civil rights leaders like 57-year-old Prentice McKinney, who fought to free Milwaukee's blacks from the ghetto, say gangs, drugs and violence have left those who still live in the nation's urban cores in fear of the next generation.

"Back then, the enemy was clear, it was white racists, and racist police officers," said McKinney, who was a black teen-age "commando" in the 1960s and now runs a tavern once frequented by fellow activists.

"It was a legalized system of segregation. And so, the challenge was between the white establishment and the African-American population. Today, the African-American population is being destroyed by its own youth ... an enemy from within."

He and others interviewed before the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's six-day meeting beginning Saturday see a changed city where a generation of blacks freed from the shackles of yesterday's legalized discrimination are held hostage by today's crime and poverty.

"You have a population of older African-Americans ... who are now afraid of the children in their neighborhoods," McKinney said.

Milwaukee, with 583,624 residents, 37 percent of whom are black, is the country's 22nd-largest city. It remains deeply segregated, civil rights activists say.

'A BIG JOKE'

"The image of Milwaukee is one that we are not proud of," said Jerry Ann Hamilton, president of the NAACP's Milwaukee branch.

People she encountered from outside Milwaukee considered the city "a big joke" and were surprised at the extent of segregation still existing there, she said.

In a departure from the NAACP's roots of appointing a civil rights activist as its leader, the group recently named retired telephone company marketing executive Bruce Gordon as its president. Gordon has said he will put more emphasis on winning economic equality for blacks.

Retired Gen. Robert Cocroft, chairman of the National Association for Black Veterans, said the NAACP convention could help to remind city leaders there must be greater inclusion in order for Milwaukee to thrive.

"Whatever we allow to happen to the least of us is going to affect all of us," Cocroft said.

The struggles over segregated schools and housing in Milwaukee began in 1963, when marches and civil disobedience were organized by Roman Catholic priest James Groppi.

Marchers who crossed an invisible line were met by mobs of angry whites. Three people died in the summer of 1967, 100 were injured and 1,700 arrested. Groppi and the NAACP Youth Council later began 200 consecutive days of marches aimed at breaking down the laws that forced blacks to live in ghettos.

The passage of an open housing law in 1968 broke open the boundaries of the ghetto but it also led to black flight, and those who could afford it moved to more affluent areas.

"What was left behind was the poorest of the poor -- the drug pusher, the player, the pimp, the hustler ... and moral values became very different over time," McKinney said.

Milwaukee community activist George Martin said cities across the country shared the same issues and had watched the same transition from a struggle for rights to a battle with crime.

"We marched for fair housing, and now we have homelessness," Martin said. "I remember when there was good housing stock and families thrived. Now there is empty lots. I remember business districts that were as busy as any shopping mall and now they are vacant stores."

07/07/05 16:28 ET

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050707163009990014

I know what your saying angel. Some of the so called "black leaders" would have us believe that blacks can't be racist because they are the minority. What a lame out. They know it goes both ways. I don't know what they want to call it when they are racist,but it sure does happen. It seems like a vicious circle. Who started it,I don't know,but the anger just keeps going in circles. It has been a big issue in Cincy(not so much lately),after a cop shot anunarmed black teen because it was dark and he thought the kid pulled a gun on him. The kid had 20 warrants out on him or something like that. Of course there was rioting and all kinds of outcries the police were racist. Sometimes the arguments get to be too much.

dilloduck said:
Got mine from 1970 but it's too frickin hot and we probably would be busted under some gang law anyway.

to show your pride and to stand your ground...hey if being a lettermen is being in a gang...so be it..a gang to be proud of! :teeth:

-Cp said:
Kind of ties into this story, doesn't it?

Milwaukee's black leaders say the enemy is within
By John Rondy, Reuters

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - Two days before the oldest and best-known U.S. civil rights group holds its yearly convention in Milwaukee, black leaders in the city say their community is being torn apart from the inside.

Civil rights leaders like 57-year-old Prentice McKinney, who fought to free Milwaukee's blacks from the ghetto, say gangs, drugs and violence have left those who still live in the nation's urban cores in fear of the next generation.

"Back then, the enemy was clear, it was white racists, and racist police officers," said McKinney, who was a black teen-age "commando" in the 1960s and now runs a tavern once frequented by fellow activists.

"It was a legalized system of segregation. And so, the challenge was between the white establishment and the African-American population. Today, the African-American population is being destroyed by its own youth ... an enemy from within."

He and others interviewed before the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's six-day meeting beginning Saturday see a changed city where a generation of blacks freed from the shackles of yesterday's legalized discrimination are held hostage by today's crime and poverty.

"You have a population of older African-Americans ... who are now afraid of the children in their neighborhoods," McKinney said.

Milwaukee, with 583,624 residents, 37 percent of whom are black, is the country's 22nd-largest city. It remains deeply segregated, civil rights activists say.

'A BIG JOKE'

"The image of Milwaukee is one that we are not proud of," said Jerry Ann Hamilton, president of the NAACP's Milwaukee branch.

People she encountered from outside Milwaukee considered the city "a big joke" and were surprised at the extent of segregation still existing there, she said.

In a departure from the NAACP's roots of appointing a civil rights activist as its leader, the group recently named retired telephone company marketing executive Bruce Gordon as its president. Gordon has said he will put more emphasis on winning economic equality for blacks.

Retired Gen. Robert Cocroft, chairman of the National Association for Black Veterans, said the NAACP convention could help to remind city leaders there must be greater inclusion in order for Milwaukee to thrive.

"Whatever we allow to happen to the least of us is going to affect all of us," Cocroft said.

The struggles over segregated schools and housing in Milwaukee began in 1963, when marches and civil disobedience were organized by Roman Catholic priest James Groppi.

Marchers who crossed an invisible line were met by mobs of angry whites. Three people died in the summer of 1967, 100 were injured and 1,700 arrested. Groppi and the NAACP Youth Council later began 200 consecutive days of marches aimed at breaking down the laws that forced blacks to live in ghettos.

The passage of an open housing law in 1968 broke open the boundaries of the ghetto but it also led to black flight, and those who could afford it moved to more affluent areas.

"What was left behind was the poorest of the poor -- the drug pusher, the player, the pimp, the hustler ... and moral values became very different over time," McKinney said.

Milwaukee community activist George Martin said cities across the country shared the same issues and had watched the same transition from a struggle for rights to a battle with crime.

"We marched for fair housing, and now we have homelessness," Martin said. "I remember when there was good housing stock and families thrived. Now there is empty lots. I remember business districts that were as busy as any shopping mall and now they are vacant stores."

07/07/05 16:28 ET

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050707163009990014

Psst.....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22587

Angel and Dillo, you guys have apparently not read up on the latest hate crime law:

18 U.S.C. 8X3: "It shall be a hate crime punishable by death, to be preceeded by a sensitivity training seminar, for two or more white males to appear in the same place, together, wearing "letter" jackets or any other torso covering indicating pride in an educational institution, which by its very nature is oppressive, hierarchical, capitalist, fascist and militaristic. Such indications may also include motorcycles, NASCAR, hunting, or any other activity which by its very nature is something done by white males."

William Joyce said:
Angel and Dillo, you guys have apparently not read up on the latest hate crime law:

18 U.S.C. 8X3: "It shall be a hate crime punishable by death, to be preceeded by a sensitivity training seminar, for two or more white males to appear in the same place, together, wearing "letter" jackets or any other torso covering indicating pride in an educational institution, which by its very nature is oppressive, hierarchical, capitalist, fascist and militaristic. Such indications may also include motorcycles, NASCAR, hunting, or any other activity which by its very nature is something done by white males."

guess it's to late to take the fifth....never mind I'll stand my ground and take the heat! :teeth:

ps:Just for the record some of the lettermen who came to our aid were Black(African American) and Hispanic(Mexican)

Forum List

Back