What the hell are they teaching in LA schools?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Standing in front of a wall-to-wall mural featuring a who's who of revolutionaries, including Ho Chi Minh, Fidel Castro and Che Guevara, and boldly displaying the motto Patria o Muerte, Venceremos!!! (Fatherland or Death, We Shall Overcome!!!), a group of teachers, students, parents and community activists in the Los Angeles Unified School District gathered last month for an unusual field trip — to Arizona, to protest that state's controversial immigration law.

A video posted on YouTube shows LA social studies teacher Jose Lara interviewing teachers and students on May 28 at the headquarters of an organization calling for a Mexican revolution on U.S. soil. Soon after he shot the video, many in the group left for an overnight "freedom ride" to Phoenix to protest what Lara tells the camera is a "racist and outrageous" law.

Lara, who made the video, teaches at the Unified School District's Santee Education Complex with Ron Gochez, another social studies teacher who came under fire last month after he was identified making incendiary remarks in a widely circulated YouTube video that shows him speaking at a 2007 rally for La Raza, a revolutionary group calling for Mexican revolt inside the United States.

Both Lara and Gochez are active in numerous revolutionary groups, including Union Del Barrio, a La Raza organization that Gochez helped establish across the street from Santee High School.

In the video shot before the trip to Arizona, students, teachers and others are seen gathered at the Union Del Barrio meeting hall and cultural center in Los Angeles, called Centro Cultural Francisco Villa — a nod to one of the leaders of the Mexican Revolution — where wall murals picture revolutionary leaders — including Ho Chi Minh — holding machine guns.

Beside portraits of the revolutionaries is a hand-painted rendering of the famous and long-living revolutionary motto: Patrio o Muerte, Venceremos!!! Popularized by Fidel Castro during the Cuban Revolution, it’s been used by Latin American leaders including Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Evo Morales of Bolivia, who declared it the official motto of his nation's army three months ago.

School district spokesman Robert Alaniz declined to comment.

The teachers who accompanied students to Phoenix are no strangers to political activism and controversial speech. Gochez has organized against immigration law enforcement raids and held anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement meetings at his public high school. Lara has worked to secure scholarships and student loans for high school students who are in the U.S. illegally..

FOXNews.com - With Revolutionaries 'Looking On,' Teachers Take Kids on a Protest Trip to Arizona

What? they want on a field trip to AZ, but I thought they were boycott......................

This was a few days before the boycott and the directive to teach "anti-AZ" propaganda in the schools. But didn't we learn that CA has the same law?

There was an active thread a couple weeks ago about banning "Ethnic Studies" in AZ schools. They don't want the kids learning how to overthrow the government. Apparently that is part of the curriculum in L.A.

I wonder who paid for the busses. That's a lot of gas for a field trip.

They're teaching stuff about la raza and making America fall under there control from ours. We got a real invasion on our hands and yet you morons sit and watch? Your great grad-dads would make your ass red if they where still alive and saw this shit going down. DEPORT.

They're teaching stuff about la raza and making America fall under there control from ours. We got a real invasion on our hands and yet you morons sit and watch? Your great grad-dads would make your ass red if they where still alive and saw this shit going down. DEPORT.

r_stop.jpg

Has anyone seen the documentary about California schools "From First To Worst"? It is obvious that the LATINO influence has destroyed public education in America. The American students have to wait and wait for the Mexican kids to catch up. In the mean time, everyone is dragged down with them.

Teachers complain about over crowded classrooms with 25 children that they can't control. I looked at my class picture and counted 44 student who got a first rate education in a Catholic school taught by a nun that got zilch for pay. What has changed? A teacher's union that is run like the mafia. Pay or die!

One never knows where the truth lies in these OPs, or even if there is truth. Exaggerated or downright lying is a part of Fox media today and has been shown often. Like Beck, it is the method and style of most of their spin masters. Some figure exist, some action took place, but how they twist it and focus it to an uneducated viewer creates fantasy out of reality. 'Willful ignorance' should be their mantra.

But this is still America and if these people want to protest and comment on a law they feel is un-American, then so be it. That's what freedom is about. Iran is waiting all you right wing control freaks. Enjoy your stay.

"The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do." Eric Hoffer

Has anyone seen the documentary about California schools "From First To Worst"? It is obvious that the LATINO influence has destroyed public education in America. The American students have to wait and wait for the Mexican kids to catch up. In the mean time, everyone is dragged down with them.

Teachers complain about over crowded classrooms with 25 children that they can't control. I looked at my class picture and counted 44 student who got a first rate education in a Catholic school taught by a nun that got zilch for pay. What has changed? A teacher's union that is run like the mafia. Pay or die!

Pure BS. My wife has taught in Catholic schools for over 25 years and all groups are the same. Classroom control is a gift and a strength few possess it. Parents today think little Joanie is a saint, just ain't so.

Post #12 http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/108215-education-then-and-now.html and read here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/108215-education-then-and-now-2.html#post2074607

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...liberals-in-the-classroom-11.html#post1749647

Last edited:
One never knows where the truth lies in these OPs, or even if there is truth. Exaggerated or downright lying is a part of Fox media today and has been shown often. Like Beck, it is the method and style of most of their spin masters. Some figure exist, some action took place, but how they twist it and focus it to an uneducated viewer creates fantasy out of reality. 'Willful ignorance' should be their mantra.

But this is still America and if these people want to protest and comment on a law they feel is un-American, then so be it. That's what freedom is about. Iran is waiting all you right wing control freaks. Enjoy your stay.

"The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do." Eric Hoffer

Pure BS. My wife has taught in Catholic schools for over 25 years and all groups are the same. Classroom control is a gift and a strength few possess it. Parents today think little Joanie is a saint, just ain't so.

Post #12 http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/108215-education-then-and-now.html and read here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/108215-education-then-and-now-2.html#post2074607

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...liberals-in-the-classroom-11.html#post1749647

4690064049_5c63552820.jpg

When talking about Ca, you are talking about mexifornia.....the non-speaking english students in our public schools are being catered to while the english speaking students have to play the wait-to-catch-up game. A national tragedy.

Teacher belong to La Raza (The Race) and they are calling others racists.. that's just absolutely priceless.

California is now rock bottom in school performance. I think I can see why.

Math, meh. english, who needs it. Science, who cares. Buying supplies like microscopes and textbooks, no budget for it. But a 400 mile field trip, plus hotels, plus buses, plus gas... all the money in the world.

Standing in front of a wall-to-wall mural featuring a who's who of revolutionaries, including Ho Chi Minh, Fidel Castro and Che Guevara, and boldly displaying the motto Patria o Muerte, Venceremos!!! (Fatherland or Death, We Shall Overcome!!!), a group of teachers, students, parents and community activists in the Los Angeles Unified School District gathered last month for an unusual field trip — to Arizona, to protest that state's controversial immigration law.

A video posted on YouTube shows LA social studies teacher Jose Lara interviewing teachers and students on May 28 at the headquarters of an organization calling for a Mexican revolution on U.S. soil. Soon after he shot the video, many in the group left for an overnight "freedom ride" to Phoenix to protest what Lara tells the camera is a "racist and outrageous" law.

Lara, who made the video, teaches at the Unified School District's Santee Education Complex with Ron Gochez, another social studies teacher who came under fire last month after he was identified making incendiary remarks in a widely circulated YouTube video that shows him speaking at a 2007 rally for La Raza, a revolutionary group calling for Mexican revolt inside the United States.

Both Lara and Gochez are active in numerous revolutionary groups, including Union Del Barrio, a La Raza organization that Gochez helped establish across the street from Santee High School.

In the video shot before the trip to Arizona, students, teachers and others are seen gathered at the Union Del Barrio meeting hall and cultural center in Los Angeles, called Centro Cultural Francisco Villa — a nod to one of the leaders of the Mexican Revolution — where wall murals picture revolutionary leaders — including Ho Chi Minh — holding machine guns.

Beside portraits of the revolutionaries is a hand-painted rendering of the famous and long-living revolutionary motto: Patrio o Muerte, Venceremos!!! Popularized by Fidel Castro during the Cuban Revolution, it’s been used by Latin American leaders including Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Evo Morales of Bolivia, who declared it the official motto of his nation's army three months ago.

School district spokesman Robert Alaniz declined to comment.

The teachers who accompanied students to Phoenix are no strangers to political activism and controversial speech. Gochez has organized against immigration law enforcement raids and held anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement meetings at his public high school. Lara has worked to secure scholarships and student loans for high school students who are in the U.S. illegally..

FOXNews.com - With Revolutionaries 'Looking On,' Teachers Take Kids on a Protest Trip to Arizona

defending or promoting their own heritage and their own people is one thing.

going to the extremes these people went to is another thing altogether

I firmly oppose ALL left and right wing extremism!

promoting and validating violence is WRONG.

I am as appalled at these teachers and students as I was when I heard about JESUS CAMP and all those ORGANIZATIONS of right wing christians (like ON FIRE) that preach and promote their own extremism to students ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

I am as appalled at these teachers and students as CONSERVATIVES WERE NOT when we heard about JESUS CAMP and all those ORGANIZATIONS of right wing christians that preach and promote their own extremism to students ALL OVER THE COUNTRY .

Forum List

Back