What the heck is this ???

patrickcaturday

Feb 25, 2012
Rep System: Opted back in for a while.
Am I missing something or is this just the height of arrogance ?

"Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial."

-- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 25 March, 2001 quoted in BBC News Online

Israel never believed that any law applied to them.

United States Senator Daniel Inouye, President Pro Tempore of the US Senate, Awarded Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Distinguished Service Cross, Bronze Star...
If one looks at most of this world, especially the Middle East, one country stands out as a foundation of stability and as a pillar of democracy . And at a time like this, when you have revolution in Yemen, Bahrain, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan, thank God we have Israel.

Top senator: An attack on Israel is an a... JPost - International

Last edited:
Am I missing something ...?
The context, typically, of course.
"Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial." Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 25 March, 2001 quoted in BBC News Online
Cool. The guy had balls.

Matzo balls.

Those matzoh balls kicked the hummus out of the muzzies in the '48 and '67 wars. The muzzies STILL are traumatized to today. :lol:

Moses Rules. Allah Sucks :clap2:

Israel never believed that any law applied to them.
Patrick me lad, as usual you post part of a story, putting your remark out of context. This is the article.

BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Clashes mar Mid-East inquiry
I meant to address this to Patrick but WTF.

THIS REPORT IS FROM THE BBC

Sunday, 25 March, 2001, 21:47 GMT 22:47 UK
Clashes mar Mid-East inquiry

The commission will report on six months of violence
At least 20 Palestinians and one Israeli have been injured in further clashes near the West Bank town of Nablus.

Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial
Ariel Sharon

The violence came as Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon reluctantly met an international fact-finding mission headed by former US senator George Mitchell.
The international commission is meeting Mr Sharon at the end of a five-day visit looking into six months of violence in the region.

Even as they met, Palestinians in Nablus protesting against the continuing blockade imposed by Israel threw stones at troops, who responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Historic mistake

A few hours before the meeting on Sunday, Mr Sharon told Israeli radio he had no choice other than to meet the commission, but described the investigation into recent violence in the Palestinian territories as a "historic mistake".

Mitchell: Difficult task

The prime minister said he rejected any links between the beginning of the Palestinian uprising and his controversial visit last September to a disputed holy site in Jerusalem.
Mr Sharon blamed the Palestinians for the violence saying it was a "strategic decision" of their leader, Yasser Arafat.
The Mitchell commission was set up after the Sharm el-Sheikh accord between former Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Mr Arafat.

But Mr Sharon says his predecessor made a grave "historical mistake" by allowing the investigation, equating it with putting Israel before an international tribunal.

"Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial," he said.

Mr Sharon said the committee had overstepped its mandate on several issues.

He also accused Mr Arafat of violating all the other Sharm el-Sheikh understandings, leaving only the investigation in place.

Blame

Among the difficulties facing the Mitchell commission is the fact that Palestinians and Israelis disagree sharply over what it is supposed to achieve.

Sharon: No link between visit to disputed holy site and violence

Israel insists the team's job is not to apportion blame but to suggest ways of preventing future violence, while the Palestinians, want the mission to determine who is to blame.
Mr Sharon has made it clear he will reject any allegations that the unrest was sparked by his appearance at the site revered by Jews as the Temple Mount and by Muslims as the Haram al-Sharif or Noble Sanctuary. "Everyone today knows that this was a strategic decision by Arafat, reached immediately after the end of the Camp David summit," he said.

"Arafat believed that by exerting pressure, or by launching a wave of terrorist attacks he could either get more from Israel or perhaps bring about international intervention." So far the violence has left more than 400 dead, over 350 of them Palestinians.

The commission will presents their report to the UN and Washington next month.

First of all, thank you Hoss. I got a little lazy and did not do the legwork !

The article itself however I think lends credance to my charge of arrogance. It seems to me that Sharon spends all of his time either saying that the commission is a " historical mistake " ( "... no one has the right to put ... the state of Israel on trial " ) or taking the time to put others on trial, ( " Israel may have the right to put others on trial .. . ) The tone of the article does not miftigate either the harshness or arrogance of the quote that I originally cited in fact I think all it does is confirm it !
green = no one has the right to put ... the state Israel on trial
red = Israel may have the right to put others on trial ...

Last edited:

At least 20 Palestinians and one Israeli have been injured in further clashes near the West Bank town of Nablus.

Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial
Ariel Sharon

The violence came as Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon reluctantly met an international fact-finding mission headed by former US senator George Mitchell.
The international commission is meeting Mr Sharon at the end of a five-day visit looking into six months of violence in the region.

Even as they met, Palestinians in Nablus protesting against the continuing blockade imposed by Israel threw stones at troops, who responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Historic mistake

A few hours before the meeting on Sunday, Mr Sharon told Israeli radio he had no choice other than to meet the commission, but described the investigation into recent violence in the Palestinian territories as a "historic mistake".

The prime minister said he rejected any links between the beginning of the Palestinian uprising and his controversial visit last September to a disputed holy site in Jerusalem.
Mr Sharon blamed the Palestinians for the violence saying it was a "strategic decision" of their leader, Yasser Arafat.
The Mitchell commission was set up after the Sharm el-Sheikh accord between former Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Mr Arafat.

But Mr Sharon says his predecessor made a grave "historical mistake" by allowing the investigation, equating it with putting Israel before an international tribunal.

"Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial," he said.

He also accused Mr Arafat of violating all the other Sharm el-Sheikh understandings, leaving only the investigation in place.

Blame

Among the difficulties facing the Mitchell commission is the fact that Palestinians and Israelis disagree sharply over what it is supposed to achieve.

Israel insists the team's job is not to apportion blame but to suggest ways of preventing future violence, while the Palestinians, want the mission to determine who is to blame.
Mr Sharon has made it clear he will reject any allegations that the unrest was sparked by his appearance at the site revered by Jews as the Temple Mount and by Muslims as the Haram al-Sharif or Noble Sanctuary. "Everyone today knows that this was a strategic decision by Arafat, reached immediately after the end of the Camp David summit," he said.

"Arafat believed that by exerting pressure, or by launching a wave of terrorist attacks he could either get more from Israel or perhaps bring about international intervention." So far the violence has left more than 400 dead, over 350 of them Palestinians.

The article itself however I think lends credance to my charge of arrogance. It seems to me that Sharon spends all of his time either saying that the commission is a " historical mistake " ( "... no one has the right to put ... the state of Israel on trial " ) or taking the time to put others on trial, ( " Israel may have the right to put others on trial .. . ) The tone of the article does not miftigate either the harshness or arrogance of the quote that I originally cited in fact I think all it does is confirm it !

Israelis have accomplished more in 60 years than 25 Arab and 60 Muslime shitholes combined. They have a right to be arrogant.

If you were successful, you could be, too.

Ariel Sharon

Historic mistake

Blame

Indeed, and that is also the position of the US: no one has the right to put the US on trial. In fact, all states have the right to put some individuals and organizations on trial, but under international law, no one has the right to put a sovereign nation on trial. Israel had no legal obligation to deal with the commission at all, just as it had no legal obligation to deal with the one Annan would soon try to send over or with the Goldstone commission or the one the unchr wants to send now.

Forum List

Back