What the Dems should do

Not being a Republican, I had the same thought, but it's just not practical. Getting legislation through both Houses is time consuming. Republicans can filibuster in the Senate and delay most legislation. The top priority has to be legislation to either get the 2011 budget approved or pass an emergency appropriation to keep the government running after Jan 1st or until a budget can be approved. Without budget approval government will shutdown. Even the most radical elements in Congress would not want to see that happen but Republicans could use that as leverage against Democrats if they did as you suggest.

I'm sure that they could put their heads together and come up with a few things -like Obama's tax cut legislation. Let the Republicans filibuster - that's one issue that'll still be a big win for the Dems if they hold their ground.

Bring up some bills that the Republicans want but paint them as Democartic bills...

How about if the Democrats actually LEARNED TO PLAY POLITICS?
They will be doing good if they can get the budget approved or an emergency appropriation passed.

Good would have been to have the Budget passed when it was still timely to do so.

For the Democrats that held their seats after this Tuesday's election - they know that their seats are secure.

For those that lost - they have nothing more to lose.

While the Dems still have the majority in the house, they should ram thru a series of the most Liberal legislation that this country has ever seen. Force it down the Republicans throats - like they did with the Health Care Bill.

They'll be NOTHING that the Republicans can do about it - the Dems will still control the Presidency and Senate for the next 2 years - so the Republicans can't change a thing.

Then what they need to do, like the Republicans did for the past 2 years, is declare all out partisan warfare. Let the Republicans whine all they want - just keep them in their place - which is absolutely impotent. Holding the majority in the house alone is worth squat.

The only reason why the Republicans won in the house is because they politically out manuevered the Democrats shamelessly - and Americans respected them for that - not their ideology.

If the Democrats are willing to go head to head with the Republicans in a 2 years long pissing contest and WIN - they'll regain the house and retain the Presidency and the Senate.

If they wimp out and give in to the Republicans - it's all over for them in the next elections.

Politics in America is not about politics - it's about respect. Americans love a winner.

They couldn't do this even if they found the chutzpa to try it.

Spending bills must originate in the House.

Parlimentary procedure gives the Republicans the ability to keep things from advancing as you suggest.

If Obama really wants to change the political dynamic in the long run he ought to consider packing the Supreme Court.

Is that still legally his right?

Seriously...I don't know.

Does anybody here actually know if he can change the number of sitting SCOTUS judges?

He's got till the end of this Congress to pull that off if it is still legal.

But I seriously doubt he'd do it even if he could.

For the Democrats that held their seats after this Tuesday's election - they know that their seats are secure.

For those that lost - they have nothing more to lose.

While the Dems still have the majority in the house, they should ram thru a series of the most Liberal legislation that this country has ever seen. Force it down the Republicans throats - like they did with the Health Care Bill.

They'll be NOTHING that the Republicans can do about it - the Dems will still control the Presidency and Senate for the next 2 years - so the Republicans can't change a thing.

Then what they need to do, like the Republicans did for the past 2 years, is declare all out partisan warfare. Let the Republicans whine all they want - just keep them in their place - which is absolutely impotent. Holding the majority in the house alone is worth squat.

The only reason why the Republicans won in the house is because they politically out manuevered the Democrats shamelessly - and Americans respected them for that - not their ideology.

If the Democrats are willing to go head to head with the Republicans in a 2 years long pissing contest and WIN - they'll regain the house and retain the Presidency and the Senate.

If they wimp out and give in to the Republicans - it's all over for them in the next elections.

Politics in America is not about politics - it's about respect. Americans love a winner.
And that's different from someone who's being kicked out of their apartment flinging shit all over the place...how, exactly?

Yeah, I can't think of any difference, either.

No, it's about people having the courage of their convictions and standing for them until the end.

That's the Democrats biggest flaw - they compromise.

The main reason that the Republicans won the house is that they have the courage of their convictions.

However idiotic those convictions may be.
You reinforce what I've been saying: Democrats hate democracy.

This election proved America doesn't want what Democrats want. So if the Dems force more of their unwanted shit through, it would prove their loyalty to agenda over country.

They have an opportunity to prove they care about what Americans want. I'm betting they'll fail to take advantage of that opportunity.

Forum List

Back