What the bleep do we know!?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I watched this movie last night. It was definately very wierd and extremely thought-provoking. It was about quantum physics and reality. Has anyone else seen it?

It was part documentary, part drama, following a deaf photographer who realizes there is much more to the world than we know of. The movie offers a great deal of theories and ideas to explain differant phenomena. One of which being Christopher Columbus' contact with the Carribean natives. Because the had never seen the then modern sailing boats, they didnt exist in their minds, and therefore could not see them. The shaman noticed a ripple in the tides and strained everyday to see what it was. Finally he saw the three ships on the horizon, and told his people, who trusted him and believed him. Then, they too could see the ships on the horizon.

Essentially what that was was the people 'creating' their own realities, which took place physically in the same realm as everyone else's. In a sense, the ships were physically there (through the eyes of Columbus' crew), but didnt exist (through the eyes of the natives), because they didnt beliieve in them (because they'd never saw them before).

I did a pretty crappy job in my little review, heres a link to better ones at Amazon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006UEVQ8/qid=1121575826/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl74/104-5766211-9595125?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846[/ame]

I watched it in my American Philosophy class. It certainly had some good ideas, and I do like to get into this sort of thing every once in a while just to feel like I'm expanding my mind a little.

But, most of the ideas were a little too abstract for me to be able to believe them fully, the Columbus thing being a perfect example. I generally have a hard time dealing with abstract philosophical thought when it translates to physical dimension like that.

Have you heard the real backstory to this movie? It came out a few months after it was released that it was actually made by a semi-cultish group who believe this stuff and study it like religion. Doesn't really change my view of the movie much, just gives you a different perspective on it.

Yeah some of it was a bit too abstract. I didnt really take much of it seriously because of that. Its just kind of neat to imagine if it were actually the truth (which it might just be). Still, a neat perspective to attain through watching the movie.

Semper Fi said:
I watched this movie last night. It was definately very wierd and extremely thought-provoking. It was about quantum physics and reality. Has anyone else seen it?

It was part documentary, part drama, following a deaf photographer who realizes there is much more to the world than we know of. The movie offers a great deal of theories and ideas to explain differant phenomena. One of which being Christopher Columbus' contact with the Carribean natives. Because the had never seen the then modern sailing boats, they didnt exist in their minds, and therefore could not see them. The shaman noticed a ripple in the tides and strained everyday to see what it was. Finally he saw the three ships on the horizon, and told his people, who trusted him and believed him. Then, they too could see the ships on the horizon.

Essentially what that was was the people 'creating' their own realities, which took place physically in the same realm as everyone else's. In a sense, the ships were physically there (through the eyes of Columbus' crew), but didnt exist (through the eyes of the natives), because they didnt beliieve in them (because they'd never saw them before).

I did a pretty crappy job in my little review, heres a link to better ones at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...4/104-5766211-9595125?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Kinda like the question............if no one is in the forest to hear it, does the falling tree make any noise?

kurtsprincess said:
Kinda like the question............if no one is in the forest to hear it, does the falling tree make any noise?

See I never uinderstood that...

Has a tree falling ever *not* made a noise? So what proof is there that it wouldnt? Of course it makes a noise!

Well, sound waves are meaningless unless the ear picks them up and converts them to actual sounds, so I say no.

Abbey Normal said:
Saw this on a t-shirt:

If a man speaks in the forest, and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong? :)

I saw that same one. My mom and grandparents laughed about it for at least a month later... sheesh.

Forum List

Back