What the.. Aetheist sent home from Iraq...

Jeepers

Feb 11, 2008
Charleston SC
I didnt know dont ask dont tell included religion... Man.. christians are serious assholes at times.... WWJD

His sudden lack of faith, he said, cost him his military career and put his life at risk. Hall said his life was threatened by other troops and the military assigned a full-time bodyguard to protect him out of fear for his safety.

In March, Hall filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Defense and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, among others. In the suit, Hall claims his rights to religious freedom under the First Amendment were violated and suggests that the United States military has become a Christian organization.
Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination - CNN.com

I didnt know dont ask dont tell included religion... Man.. christians are serious assholes at times.... WWJD

Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination - CNN.com

Any troop for any reason that reuqires a personal bodyguard does not fit into the military organization and can be discharged. The specific reason is irrelevant.

However, if you read the article it was not the fact that he was an atheist that got him in trouble. He's an activist, crusading atheist. He's just pushing HIS religion and got pissed because he was told to stop.

However, if you read the article it was not the fact that he was an atheist that got him in trouble. He's an activist, crusading atheist. He's just pushing HIS religion and got pissed because he was told to stop.

How do you figure? I didn't draw that conclusion from the link. Maybe I missed something. What did you read that made you come to that realization?

How do you figure? I didn't draw that conclusion from the link. Maybe I missed something. What did you read that made you come to that realization?

This isn't a new story. When it first broke -- last year I think -- there were a lot of articles on it. It was seriously hashed and rehashed on another board.

The bodyguard part is from this link. You know as well as I do that failure to conform is grounds for administrative discharge. Requiring a bodyguard disrupts the good order and discipline of a unit, not to mention negates one's effectiveness as an asset.

IIRC, this guy was trying to organize atheists during working hours, and generally disrupting things with his "religion." I know you also know that if someone is making enough noise to be noticed about who he does or does not pray to that it disrupts the unit, he's in trouble.

What do you suppose he did that required a bodyguard? In the Marines, that pretty-much meant you were gay and the other Marines knew it. And you were gone as fast as the paperwork could get processed.

#1. This is news..
#2. According to the article, please point out where he was organizing atheists..
#3. Even if he was organizing atheists so what. Are you saying that only christians can organize.
#4. Did you pull this thread?

#1. This is news..
#2. According to the article, please point out where he was organizing atheists..
#3. Even if he was organizing atheists so what. Are you saying that only christians can organize.
#4. Did you pull this thread?

He was trying to organize DURING work. You do not get to do that EVER in the Military. He wanted space and time out of work to organize and meet. Again even Christians don't get that. He was more interested in being an activist then a productive member of the military.

Mission always ALWAYS comes first. His mission was not the military one but his NON RELIGION one. Doesn't work that way and sure as hell doesn't fly in a combat environment.

I know if I was over there I would be praying like crazy not to get shot or blown up!

He was trying to organize DURING work. You do not get to do that EVER in the Military. He wanted space and time out of work to organize and meet. Again even Christians don't get that. He was more interested in being an activist then a productive member of the military.

Mission always ALWAYS comes first. His mission was not the military one but his NON RELIGION one. Doesn't work that way and sure as hell doesn't fly in a combat environment.
Wow. . you read all that into the story... Your like some kind of Magician arent you... YOu make stuff just ... appear..

Should we also remove all of these people...

Weinstein said he doesn't buy it and points to a promotional video by a group called Christian Embassy. The video, which shows U.S. generals in uniform, was shot inside the Pentagon. The generals were subsequently reprimanded.

Another group, the Officers' Christian Fellowship, has representatives on nearly all military bases worldwide. Its vision, which is spelled out on the organization's Web site, reads, "A spiritually transformed military, with ambassadors for Christ in uniform empowered by the Holy Spirit."

My guess is that if this guy was continually having people want to beat him up, he was probably criticizing Christians.

Just a guess, based upon my own experience of atheists. Who want everyone to tolerate them, but think they are entitled to be intolerant of others.

There's more to this story.

My guess is that if this guy was continually having people want to beat him up, he was probably criticizing Christians.

Just a guess, based upon my own experience of atheists. Who want everyone to tolerate them, but think they are entitled to be intolerant of others.

There's more to this story.
My guess is you dont have much experience with atheists.....

Even if this story were true with no little hidden extra facts, this guy is an idiot.

In the military, and especially in a combat zone, people are tolerant of all kinds of idiosyncrasies among those they share danger with, provided you are a team player. Only someone who wanted to make trouble would ostentatiously disrupt something like a harmless prayer by demonstratively refusing to take part. It costs nothing to act respectful while others are, as they see it, communing with their Maker.

If you mock someone's deeply-held beliefs, you can expect an angry reaction. If you respectfully disagree, you will usually find your own beliefs are respected. Among civilized people, that is.

Which brings us to the last thought: in the war we are now in, which side treats avowed atheists better? How would Muslim fighters respond if one of their number announced he thought that Allah was a load of codswallop?

Even if this story were true with no little hidden extra facts, this guy is an idiot.

In the military, and especially in a combat zone, people are tolerant of all kinds of idiosyncrasies among those they share danger with, provided you are a team player. Only someone who wanted to make trouble would ostentatiously disrupt something like a harmless prayer by demonstratively refusing to take part. It costs nothing to act respectful while others are, as they see it, communing with their Maker.

If you mock someone's deeply-held beliefs, you can expect an angry reaction. If you respectfully disagree, you will usually find your own beliefs are respected. Among civilized people, that is.

Which brings us to the last thought: in the war we are now in, which side treats avowed atheists better? How would Muslim fighters respond if one of their number announced he thought that Allah was a load of codswallop?

Death to the infidel.

You stated ^
but never addressed V

Weinstein said he doesn't buy it and points to a promotional video by a group called Christian Embassy. The video, which shows U.S. generals in uniform, was shot inside the Pentagon. The generals were subsequently reprimanded.

Another group, the Officers' Christian Fellowship, has representatives on nearly all military bases worldwide. Its vision, which is spelled out on the organization's Web site, reads, "A spiritually transformed military, with ambassadors for Christ in uniform empowered by the Holy Spirit."

You stated ^
but never addressed V

Nothing to address. You can have organizations, even religious ones. You just can not organize, meet or demand space during working time. You can not be more interested in your none military group then the military. You can not be an activist.

In the Marines, that pretty-much meant you were gay and the other Marines knew it. And you were gone as fast as the paperwork could get processed.

There were plenty of gay men in the Marines when I served. They didn't go out of their way to make a big deal of it, but it wasn't a secret either. They were honorable Marines who did their duty.

As to this story?

We're not being given enough data to really understand what this guy's problem was.

He needed a body guard just because he didn't believe in God, and therefore Christians wanted to hurt him?

I rather doubt that.

Forum List

Back