What technologies would you "uninvent"?

cell phones. Sure, sure great in an emergency and if they were just used that way, ok. But they're not and they've made people dumber and ruder.

Interesting question but hard to nail down as all things are a mixed bag. If I had to answer it would be computers in early schooling - but again that is a use of technology. I do know my favorite, the camera.

Edit: Automation that turns humans into robots and removes the creative element of building and doing.

"Anyone who has studied the history of technology knows that technological change is always a Faustian bargain: Technology giveth and technology taketh away, and not always in equal measure. A new technology sometimes creates more than it destroys. Sometimes, it destroys more than it creates. But it is never one-sided." Neil Postman

"The history of the twentieth century can be summarized--excessively briefly--in five propositions: First, that the history of the twentieth century was overwhelmingly economic history. Second, that the twentieth century saw the material wealth of humankind explode beyond all previous imagining. Third, that because of advances in technology, productivity, and organization--and the feelings of social dislocation and disquiet that these advances generated--the twentieth century’s tyrannies were the most brutal and barbaric in history. Fourth, that the twentieth century saw the relative economic gulf between different economies grow at a rapid pace. Fifth and last, that economic policy--the management of their economies by governments--in the twentieth century was at best inept. Little was known or learned about how to manage a market or a mixed economy." J. Bradford DeLong I. Introduction

Three authors worth reading on topic.

"We have created an industrial order geared to automatism, where feeble-mindedness, native or acquired, is necessary for docile productivity in the factory; and where a pervasive neurosis is the final gift of the meaningless life that issues forth at the other end." Lewis Mumford

"Rather than bringing me closer to others, the time that I spend online isolates me from the most important people in my life, my family, my friends, my neighbourhood, my community." Clifford Stoll

"There is no escaping from ourselves. The human dilemma is as it has always been, and we solve nothing fundamental by cloaking ourselves in technological glory." Neil Postman

Last edited:
The concept kind of dovetails with the greenie revolution's favorite program sponsored by the History Channel "Life after People". The series is soft on the reason all humans vanish at the same time but it is full of graphics and digital stuff that Speilburg might have done and it's no doubt the green revolution ultimate pipe dream. The planet comes back after being abused by pesky humans for millenniums, or does it? According the the script, humans evaporate leaving ...gasp....the nuclear generators on line and gradually a meltdown occurs just when Bambi is learning to graze in Central Park.

Forum List

Back