What Teachers Make

And it shouldn't be skull.

But it is mine. I poll each of my students each year to see what books they have read for pleasure. 99% say "zero".

We just started a summer reading list last year. The books are easy and interesting. Only a small fraction of our students participated.

Schools can not raise reading scores without any independent reading. I don't know how that can change.

Schools can not teach Algebra and Physics to students who have yet to learn their multiplication facts. High School teachers should not be making flash cards for 17 year olds.

These are areas where learning must take place outside the classroom.

Accountability needs to include students and parents in order to have any meaningful impact on achievement.

But it is mine. I poll each of my students each year to see what books they have read for pleasure. 99% say "zero".

We just started a summer reading list last year. The books are easy and interesting. Only a small fraction of our students participated.

Schools can not raise reading scores without any independent reading. I don't know how that can change.

Schools can not teach Algebra and Physics to students who have yet to learn their multiplication facts. High School teachers should not be making flash cards for 17 year olds.

Accountability needs to include students and parents in order to have any meaningful impact on achievement.

If I could do it again I would have dropped out of school at 16 and got a GED on my own. The way I see it I could have started college earlier and would have had a head start on my earning career.

I took CLEPs and was able to skip nearly 3 semesters of college classes and still get credit. That alone saved me a lot of money.

The problem is that people place no value on learning and I do believe that most people think you can't learn outside of a classroom.

Designated Defensive Marksman Ddm in New York, NY

$155,000
Police Officer Certified in New York, NY

$69,000
Officer Officership in New York, NY

$91,000
Embassy Security Force Ert in New York, NY

$139,000
Police Patrol Officer in New York, NY

$24,000
Police Officer Recruit in New York, NY

$65,000
Lateral Police Officer in New York, NY

$89,000
Police Officer Lateral in New York, NY

$87,000
Police Officer a in New York, NY

$70,000
Police Sergeant in New York, NY

$86,000
Officer Candidate School in New York, NY

$85,000
Owner Operator Independent Contractor in New York, NY

$371,000
Police Officer in New York, NY

$59,000
Campus Police Officer in New York, NY

$42,000
University Police Officer in New York, NY

$61,000

In USD as of Jun 7, 2012130k260k390kPolice Officer in New York, NY

$55,000
bar_high.gif

Average Police Officer salaries for job postings in New York, NY are 26% higher than average Police Officer salaries for job postings nationwide.

trends

Average Salary of Jobs with Related Titles

Teachers in New York?

Music And Voice Teacher in New York, NY

$53,000
Statistics Spss Tutor in New York, NY

$65,000
Tutoring Teaching in New York, NY

$75,000
Latin Tutor in New York, NY

$68,000
Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$75,000
Computer Programming Tutor in New York, NY

$69,000
Teacher in New York, NY

$48,000
Substitute Teacher in New York, NY

$31,000
Elementary Reading Tutor in New York, NY

$64,000
ESL Esol Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$70,000
Prealgebra Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$71,000
Sat Math Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$70,000
Reading Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$72,000
Study Skills Tutor Teacher in New York, NY

$71,000
Tutor in New York, NY

$70,000

teacher Salary in New York, NY | Indeed.com

BTW...now many cops get fired in NYC compared to teachers?

None of you have a clue.

Last edited:
Skull 'may' be brilliant *if he does say so himself* BUT he has yet to learn that his experience is not the universal experience.

And people who are 'just that smart' can tell their teachers they want to test out at 16, and when they do, scholarships are likely to be awarded.

Pos rep is inbound when I have it.

Thanks are a given - I feel for you on the reading front. I've been a vociferous reader since my mother tried to get me to read Gone With the Wind at age eight. I was bored in no time, so she gave me Little Women.

Her mother was a teacher. She got the book bug from her, she passed it to her daughters, we passed it to on to our children. I pity the non-readers - I can't imagine a life without books.

And I thank J. K. Rowling for getting at least some portion of children started on the reading path.

Skull 'may' be brilliant *if he does say so himself* BUT he has yet to learn that his experience is not the universal experience.

And people who are 'just that smart' can tell their teachers they want to test out at 16, and when they do, scholarships are likely to be awarded.

Unlike you I actually believe people can do anything they put their minds to.

Just because people don't apply themselves doesn't mean they are incapable.

That attitude is more than half the problem

Last edited:

That attitude is more then half the problem

Too bad you can't actually read minds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY]Stuart Smalley's famous quote - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe I can't read minds but i know that most people want the maximum result from the minimum effort and are too stupid to realize the world doesn't work that way

Maybe I can't read minds but i know that most people want the maximum result from the minimum effort and are too stupid to realize the world doesn't work that way

Of COURSE they are!!! ::pat-pat:: Thanks be to all that's holy we have YOU to point that out. :eusa_angel:

There are good teachers and bad teachers, but the people who deserve the blame for the pitiful state of our public school system are the parents. If parents don't discipline their children and instead blame the school for trying to when their kid acts out they have only themselves to blame. If parents don't attend school board meetings or take the time to look at their kids homework and see what they're being taught then they have only themselves to blame. If parents aren't paying attention to the way their elected officials deal with education issues they have only themselves to blame.

So until parents take some responsibility for their child's education and stop treating the school like a daycare center to drop their brats off at when they go to work you can expect us to continue to have a shitty public school system.

Sad but true..

The avg teacher salary in our area is 60K. The avg home price is 300K.

Many cops in our town make over 100K with overtime. Teachers do not get OT.

Our pensions are 50 percent pay after 30 yrs. Police pensions are 100 percent.

I'm not saying cops don't deserve that, but it is unfair to compare the two. And it is equally unfair for our governor to go after the teachers' union and remain silent about the PBA.

It's unfair to the Taxpayers to have to foot the bill for "extravagant" benefits, and retirements (very FEW Taxpayers enjoy) for either one. As for OT, I suppose having the summer off with a job that pays 60K AVERAGE doesn't factor in. Hard to justify that to a Taxpayer making 50K with the same college credentials who ONLY gets 2 weeks vacation per year don't you think? Wisconsin is proof that the gravy train is nearly over.
Reaching that $60,000 salary teaching is likely to take 15 to 20 years in the field plus a master's degree. In almost half the states top salaries are closer to $50,000 than $60,000. Teaching salaries are certainly not high compare to other profession that have similar educational requirements.

As a teacher, you do not have the opportunity for advancement that you do in other fields. Most teachers remain in the classroom their entire career. There are no start up companies with great opportunities, no end of year bonuses, and no big promotions. In short, a teacher sacrifices upward mobility and high salaries for stable employment and benefits.

The avg teacher salary in our area is 60K. The avg home price is 300K.

Many cops in our town make over 100K with overtime. Teachers do not get OT.

Our pensions are 50 percent pay after 30 yrs. Police pensions are 100 percent.

I'm not saying cops don't deserve that, but it is unfair to compare the two. And it is equally unfair for our governor to go after the teachers' union and remain silent about the PBA.

It's unfair to the Taxpayers to have to foot the bill for "extravagant" benefits, and retirements (very FEW Taxpayers enjoy) for either one. As for OT, I suppose having the summer off with a job that pays 60K AVERAGE doesn't factor in. Hard to justify that to a Taxpayer making 50K with the same college credentials who ONLY gets 2 weeks vacation per year don't you think? Wisconsin is proof that the gravy train is nearly over.
Reaching that $60,000 salary teaching is likely to take 15 to 20 years in the field plus a master's degree. In almost half the states top salaries are closer to $50,000 than $60,000. Teaching salaries are certainly not high compare to other profession that have similar educational requirements.

As a teacher, you do not have the opportunity for advancement that you do in other fields. Most teachers remain in the classroom their entire career. There are no start up companies with great opportunities, no end of year bonuses, and no big promotions. In short, a teacher sacrifices upward mobility and high salaries for stable employment and benefits.
$55,000 at 30 years, two Masters degrees and certification by Autodesk Inc. as an AutoCAD professional instructor.
Retirement pay - $27,000 a year.

Forum List

Back