What Special Christmas Dishes Do You Make?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This year, we don't have a lot of discretionary income for buying presents, so I'm giving away homemade candy and baked goods to everyone who isn't a member of my immediate family. Not a real hardship, because I make most of this stuff every Christmas anyway.

My next-door neighbor, who is a retired mechanic and helps us keep our cars running on the cheap, is getting a big tin of fudge. Ditto my husband's co-workers.

My friends Thyra and Frodi, who have been taking up a lot of slack for me with my SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) duties while I'm pregnant, are getting fudge and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Ditto my best friend's uncle, who whines and gives me puppy dog eyes if he doesn't get presents.

My best friend, in addition to his purchased presents, is getting oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, fudge, and chocolate rum balls. His grandparents, with whom he lives, are getting a rum cake and whatever other stuff I have extra of.

What sort of special things do y'all cook for the holidays?

I used to, but have given up on the baking of special treats. I have my friends over and make a spread, with them suppling the libations.

Shoot, I'd probably PREFER someone's delicious home-cooked food over anything else for christmas.

So I assume we're talking corn syrup with cinnamon and spices in it?
Candied using corn syrup, sugar, water, cinnamon oil, broken walnuts. Cinnamon oil can still be bought at most pharmacies. The recipe is packed away at the moment or I give the exact amounts.

Cheese spread.

philly cream cheese, Kraft Old English Cheddar, chopped onions, parsley, stir it all up and just before you serve it, stir in chopped walnuts. Great on crackers.

Shoot, I'd probably PREFER someone's delicious home-cooked food over anything else for christmas.

I think a lot of people feel that way these days, since it seems that fewer and fewer people are plugged into the whole "domestic" thing. I find that it works ESPECIALLY well for single men and working women.

Candied using corn syrup, sugar, water, cinnamon oil, broken walnuts. Cinnamon oil can still be bought at most pharmacies. The recipe is packed away at the moment or I give the exact amounts.

Sounds good. If you ever unpack it, I'd like a copy.

We usually always have:

INDIAN CORN CASSEROLE

3 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 c. (1/2 lb.) shredded sharp process cheese
2 (1 lb.) cans whole kernel corn, drained (4 c.)
10 slices (about 1/2 lb.) bacon, cooked and crumbled

Combine eggs, flour and sugar and beat well. Add shredded cheese and corn. Stir in about 3/4 of the bacon. Place mixture in ungreased 10x6x1 1/2 baking dish. Sprinkle remaining bacon on top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 8.

During the Holidays,either at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Another that my mom has made for years is..

ZUCCHINI AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

6 med. zucchini, sliced or chopped
1/2 lb. sausage (bulk)
1/2 c. onion, chopped
14 Saltine crackers, finely crushed
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Garlic salt to taste

Cook squash until tender in salted water (about 15 minutes). Drain and save 1/2 cup of liquid. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Mix well and turn into an ungreased casserole. Bake about one hour in 350 degree oven.

Both very good.

Forum List

Back