What song is this?

Crackerjack

Too sick for a cure
Dec 6, 2011
Somalia
I was at a club this weekend and I heard a song I really liked. Unfortunately I was not able to get to the DJ to ask him what it was. Seriously, I've been lying awake at night trying to figure out what it is. I'm literally losing sleep over it.

The first thing I remember is that it had a melody run throughout that was about seven notes in length and resolved into a minor key on the final note. The phrase was very prominent and played repeatedly, perhaps on a bass guitar. The vocals reminded me very much of Marilyn Manson - very distorted and washed out. The genre of the song was obviously death metal or along those lines. I assume it is a recent song because I've never heard it before, but I don't know for sure.

If any one can help me with this, I would be very appreciative.

Remember any of the lyrics?
No, I don't. It was a club, so the acoustics and the sound system were horrid, and the vocals would have been hard to understand anyway because of how they were distorted. Think of every Marilyn Manson song you've ever heard -- that was what the vocals sounded like almost exactly.

I can't tell you, but here, this is a good song.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhhoDDLBKZY]Porcupine Tree Anesthetize - YouTube[/ame]

Crackerjack, if you're into that song, you may enjoy the entire album. It's called Fear of a Blank Planet. I Don't like all of there stuff, but that album is really good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3Y_YvP_jw]Porcupine Tree - Fear of a blank planet (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QS3c_Tei4]Porcupine Tree "Way Out Of Here" Live in Tilburg (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpw7cBBrSA4]Porcupine Tree "Sleep Together" Live in Tilburg - YouTube[/ame]

No, I don't. It was a club, so the acoustics and the sound system were horrid, and the vocals would have been hard to understand anyway because of how they were distorted. Think of every Marilyn Manson song you've ever heard -- that was what the vocals sounded like almost exactly.

Contact the club, find out who the DJ was that night. Maybe he can help.

In college, I heard a number on the radio that just blew me away. It was a classical/avant garde piece, and for almost 40 years I've wondered about it.
Bugs the shit out of me that I'll never hear it again.

Contact the club, find out who the DJ was that night. Maybe he can help.

In college, I heard a number on the radio that just blew me away. It was a classical/avant garde piece, and for almost 40 years I've wondered about it.
Bugs the shit out of me that I'll never hear it again.
I might have to try that. One of the waitresses I asked said it's one he plays a lot.

The hell of it is, it's probably a ridiculously popular song and I'm just ignorant of pop culture.

Hurry up. The longer you wait, the less chance you'll find out.

I've walked into record stores before and asked "hey what's that song that goes bum de bum budda bum bah la laaaaa..."

Oddly enough I've had some success with that. :D

I've walked into record stores before and asked "hey what's that song that goes bum de bum budda bum bah la laaaaa..."

Sorry, what's a "record store"? What are these "records" of which you speak?

Sorry, what's a "record store"? What are these "records" of which you speak?

That's irrelevant. Pick up the fucking phone and track down that song or you will regret it for the next 40 years.

I was at a club this weekend and I heard a song I really liked. Unfortunately I was not able to get to the DJ to ask him what it was. Seriously, I've been lying awake at night trying to figure out what it is. I'm literally losing sleep over it.

The first thing I remember is that it had a melody run throughout that was about seven notes in length and resolved into a minor key on the final note. The phrase was very prominent and played repeatedly, perhaps on a bass guitar. The vocals reminded me very much of Marilyn Manson - very distorted and washed out. The genre of the song was obviously death metal or along those lines. I assume it is a recent song because I've never heard it before, but I don't know for sure.

Spend some time over here.
http://www.samhsa.gov/index.aspx

Spend some time over here.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Homepage
I don't think they have song listing for me though.

I've gone through Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and the like so far on iTunes because that's the genre I think it may be in. The one thing that sticks out is the six or seven note progression that "resolves" into a minor phrase on the last note.

Was it "Hey, Hey We're The Monkeys" by the Monkeys?

don't give up hope, CK...

35+ years after having heard this particular tune one time on the radio while hitchhiking around about western Canada, I was finally able to find it on youtube...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFztS6Unm8]Procol Harum - Bringing Home the Bacon - YouTube[/ame]

the lesson...? mebbe by the time you're pushin' 60... you'll find the tune you're looking for...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back