What should we teach youth about politics?

seth1492

Sep 15, 2008
I am putting together a blog about politics and am trying to teach youth about government and the political system. Do you guys/gals have any ideas of what some items I just have to make sure to cover are?

I want to really cover the spectrum with ideas and am hoping to get some great ideas from all the politically active people hear. If you were talking to your kids or neighbors, what would be the most important thing to tell them about politics?

[By the way, anyone interested in writing a brief guest post on the blog would be welcome too.]

They used to have government classes in school. Is it no longer taught in the schools?

I would tell them to gather as much information as possible before making decision on a political issue. Once you take a stand on a political issue try to understand those who have the opposite position.
Knowledge and information is the key to politics.

The politic spectrum is it's simplist form
Conservatives - less government Liberals - more government
Conservatives make desions with their brain but do not use their heart
Liberals make decisions with their hearts but not their brains

Good political decisions are made using youur heart and your brain

They used to have government classes in school. Is it no longer taught in the schools?

yes they still have government classes but they are weak and impractical. Instead of understand how and most importantly "WHY" we have a government, most students just struggle to get through a boring lesson on the particular partisan topic of the teachers choice. It is sad that too few students actually know how to participate and make a difference. I talked to many students recently who are graduating and turning 18 but have no idea how to register to vote, find out about issues or candidates, or get involved. I think that is really sad.

I would tell them to gather as much information as possible before making decision on a political issue. Once you take a stand on a political issue try to understand those who have the opposite position.

I think you are exactly right... that is why partisanship is not the answer. It tries to divide and conquer and not actually solve anything. Thinking and feeling generally creates a politically aware citizen capable of seeing and understanding the argument at hand. Thanks for the idea!

I think you are exactly right... that is why partisanship is not the answer. It tries to divide and conquer and not actually solve anything. Thinking and feeling generally creates a politically aware citizen capable of seeing and understanding the argument at hand. Thanks for the idea!

don't preach that all liberals are mindless though

I am putting together a blog about politics and am trying to teach youth about government and the political system. Do you guys/gals have any ideas of what some items I just have to make sure to cover are?

I want to really cover the spectrum with ideas and am hoping to get some great ideas from all the politically active people hear. If you were talking to your kids or neighbors, what would be the most important thing to tell them about politics?

[By the way, anyone interested in writing a brief guest post on the blog would be welcome too.]

I know its tough but I think you should try to teach politics without being political. By that I mean dont project your personal ideology when doing so. If you're a conservative make sure you teach about liberalism in a positive tone, if your a liberal teach about conservatism in a positive tone.

Its hard for people to do but if you're honestly interested in providing the youth with the tools to be involved in politics then make sure you dont push them in one direction or the other. Give them the space and personal nuetrality to decide for themselves what they believe in.

I know its tough but I think you should try to teach politics without being political. By that I mean dont project your personal ideology when doing so. If you're a conservative make sure you teach about liberalism in a positive tone, if your a liberal teach about conservatism in a positive tone.

Its hard for people to do but if you're honestly interested in providing the youth with the tools to be involved in politics then make sure you dont push them in one direction or the other. Give them the space and personal nuetrality to decide for themselves what they believe in.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I agree. I think as I continue to work on the lessons and the articles for the blog, I want to get people from both sides of the ideology who are well educated and passionate about their beliefs to present their understanding of the issues and ideas of their ideology. I want each student to have access to good information so "THEY" can make up their own minds on what is right and wrong. Otherwise the whole process is pointless.

don't preach that all liberals are mindless though

Absolutely not.
Nor does it suggest all conservatives are heartless.

I do think in todays world the bigger problem is heartless conservatives, there are some.
Than mindless liberals, because there are some

I think young people need the basics, Constitution and all amendments, and the three branches of government, Executive, legislative and judicial. Knowing how all of these are supposed to work together is a good foundation to start from.

right, stereotypes are out... not every conservative ignores feelings and is out to screw everyone for his personal freedoms just like every liberal is not out to rip every dollar out of your pocket and give it to someone else... they are stereotypes.

Also, Constitution, 3 branches of government, and state and local politics (Federalism) are on the agenda. Any more ideas to do, or avoid?

I agree. I think as I continue to work on the lessons and the articles for the blog, I want to get people from both sides of the ideology who are well educated and passionate about their beliefs to present their understanding of the issues and ideas of their ideology. I want each student to have access to good information so "THEY" can make up their own minds on what is right and wrong. Otherwise the whole process is pointless.

I consider myself an american.
I lean a tiny bit libertarian socially and a bit conservative economically

pcgraphpng.php

Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49

If you are interested.. I would be pleased if you wrote an article on your beliefs for the blog. If not do not worry.

Forum List

Back