What should the US response be?

With all the troubles in Lybia doesn't it seem like there was very little defense provided for the embassy. This country should re-evaulate the amount of Marine security at the embassy of a crazy country such as this. I have very little doubt there were very few Marines there to protect this American property from being breached. I have very little doubt that the rules of engagement were less than they should have been.

Yes.

Before the attack in Egypt the state department issued a statement in an effort to alleviate the stupid video.

It didn't work.

There was no apology for the attacks by anyone but the Libyian government.

Did the U.S. apologize for the Cairo embassy attack?

CBS News) After a massive crowd of angry Egyptians began amassing outside the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, furious over an anti-Muslim film produced in the U.S., the embassy there released a statement saying it did not support any anti-religious efforts.

"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims - as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions," the statement began.

Conservatives have pounced on the statement, calling it an "apology," and the White House responded by saying it had not approved the statement before its release.
Did the U.S. apologize for the Cairo embassy attack? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Ravi, perhaps you were legitmately not aware there was an apology made by the Embassy. I don't fault you for that. And I was not aware that the White House is trying to walk it back.
Truce.

Condemnation of stupid acts by the Coptics and an AMERICAN, Terry Jones, is NOT an apology....it is a condemnation.

The U.S. government cannot apologize for something it did not do....but it can sure condemn.

I hope the families of the dead sue Terry Jones for all he has.

Sue Terry Jones? For what? Are you trying to say that the right of free speech is limited by what might hurt somebody's feelings?

If so I think you are living in the wrong country...

Much too late for a response. The awful damage is done. They should have protected our Embassy better. This is shocking incompetence. So who will be held accountable?

What should the US response be to the attacks on its missions in Egypt and Libya?

Personally I think a firm and decisive response is needed to drive home the message that these kinds of attacks will have an unbearable cost for those who attempt them.

In Libya the government has already apologized and condemned the attack, and this should be acknowledged. As a further step the Libyan government should provide all necessary information as to which groups were behind this attack. They should then be targeted for military elimination by US forces.

Absolutely The jerks who pulled this off need to know that they are not safe from swift and sure American retaliation.

As for Egypt, Obama should tell Morsi in a phone call that a repetition of the events of yesterday will have very certain and painful penalties.

Last edited:
Have you forgotten reality here? We already responded. With an apology no less. I'm sure Obama, when told of the embassy attacks and the number dead, said, "Send out an apology and consider the matter done. Carry on."
Nothing interferes with campaigning, unless it's a Late Night Show with David Letterman.,

There was no apology.

And everyone can see that you are peeing your pants in glee over these deaths.

the radical right thrives on schadenfreud

Schadenfreud?......:eusa_eh:

Much too late for a response. The awful damage is done. They should have protected our Embassy better. This is shocking incompetence. So who will be held accountable?

It was not the embassy. Try to keep up. It was a small consolat. There was some protection. We/they(it really is the job of the host country to provide security) had no way to know this type of co-ordinated miltary type attack was forthcoming.

If recent history is any indication, No one will be accountable.

Forum List

Back