What should the US response be?

Artevelde

Mar 20, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
What should the US response be to the attacks on its missions in Egypt and Libya?

Personally I think a firm and decisive response is needed to drive home the message that these kinds of attacks will have an unbearable cost for those who attempt them.

In Libya the government has already apologized and condemned the attack, and this should be acknowledged. As a further step the Libyan government should provide all necessary information as to which groups were behind this attack. They should then be targeted for military elimination by US forces.

In Egypt the US should also demand an apoloy from the government and an unequivocal condemnation of the attack there. The US government should order its staff to take down the black flag that was hung up there and it should be destroyed. Furthermore the Egyptian government should be told to immediately arrest the organizers of the demonstrations and to make clear that anybody calling for violence against the US will also be arrested. It should clamp down on extremist groups. If it fails to act, all aid to Egypt should be cancelled as well as all supply of military material and a boycot of Egyptian goods and travel to Egypt put in place.

What should the US response be to the attacks on its missions in Egypt and Libya?

Personally I think a firm and decisive response is needed to drive home the message that these kinds of attacks will have an unbearable cost for those who attempt them.

In Libya the government has already apologized and condemned the attack, and this should be acknowledged. As a further step the Libyan government should provide all necessary information as to which groups were behind this attack. They should then be targeted for military elimination by US forces.

In Egypt the US should also demand an apoloy from the government and an unequivocal condemnation of the attack there. The US government should order its staff to take down the black flag that was hung up there and it should be destroyed. Furthermore the Egyptian government should be told to immediately arrest the organizers of the demonstrations and to make clear that anybody calling for violence against the US will also be arrested. It should clamp down on extremist groups. If it fails to act, all aid to Egypt should be cancelled as well as all supply of military material and a boycot of Egyptian goods and travel to Egypt put in place.

I agree with everything above except the bolded. Let the Libyans deal with the groups behind the attack. Any attacks led by the US within Libya at this point will just escalate things.

I agree with everything above except the bolded. Let the Libyans deal with the groups behind the attack. Any attacks led by the US within Libya at this point will just escalate things.

I disagree.

First, because it is important that the response is seen as coming from the US itself.

Second, because it is unclear if the Libyan government is strong enough to do this.

What happened in Libya is an act of war, technically.

No, not technically. It WAS an act of war. Obama dethroned Quadaffi, established an embassy which is the same as soverign US soil. It was an act of war both in Egypt and in Libya.

How so? It wasn't the Libyian government that did it.

But it is their responsibility to ensure the security of the Embassy. In this they failed.

I don't know if that is true or not but it still doesn't make it an act of war.

It would be if they fail to go after the perpetrators.

Remember, in Iran it was also a "student" occupation. Yet in reality it was an act of war by Iran against the US to which the US failed to respond adequately, with disastrous long-term consequences.

Immediately recall our embassy staff from both nations, cut off ALL aid to both nations, freeze ALL US-held assets of both nations and let the motherfuckers cry like the bitches they are.

Since the embassies are our own sovereign territory we might just want to bomb them after they've been emptied. I'm thinking a couple megatons might send a clear message...

ETA: Collateral damage is a bitch, dontchaknow...

Last edited:
Airstrike...

... bomb `em to smithereens!
:cool:

It'd have to be a big one.
Egypt has been very well armed by the US of A.

It's really odd you're moaning about this as the US kept their puppet leader in power for years, have sent people for torture and execution and generally pissed about in Egyptian politics but you moan when the population get pissed off at you.

Frankly, it's a bit of tough shit.

Have you forgotten reality here? We already responded. With an apology no less. I'm sure Obama, when told of the embassy attacks and the number dead, said, "Send out an apology and consider the matter done. Carry on."
Nothing interferes with campaigning, unless it's a Late Night Show with David Letterman.,

Have you forgotten reality here? We already responded. With an apology no less. I'm sure Obama, when told of the embassy attacks and the number dead, said, "Send out an apology and consider the matter done. Carry on."
Nothing interferes with campaigning, unless it's a Late Night Show with David Letterman.,

There was no apology.

And everyone can see that you are peeing your pants in glee over these deaths.

New Topics

Forum List

Back