What should be the required math courses for a HS diploma?

When I was in middle school, the school I went to took part in this experimental math curriculum where each student worked at their own pace from the textbooks, working a certain amount of time each night as homework. We took a test at the end of each chapter, and moved on to the next one.

It worked out well for me, I was taking calculus by 10th grade.

The nuns and brothers shoved math up our ass....as best I recall most of us made it through...kids can handle more than liberals will admit...life is tough...get a move on.
So you are for dumming down the math classes so these kids can pass. And the kids that will actually go on to use the math will suffer due to the much slower pace.
The nuns and brothers didn't dumb down anything...they taught, they encouraged, they motivated, they kicked ass...what America used to be like...until the Libs arrived.
Did everyone have to take algebra, geomety and trig, or was there a basic math track?
With the nuns and brothers everything was mandatory...that was then...not sure about now. Everything seems voluntary now....my grandsons go to a university with 50000 students....400 are math majors...as the economy screams for math majors....
Perhaps it should be mandatory that all 50000 thousand of those students should be math majors. The professors can motivate and kick ass such that they all can learn advanced calculus.
When opportunity stares you in the face do you go math, science, computers as far as your aptitude will allow or do you settle for the psychology/sociology degree? What will you do when obama isn't here to suckle on?

I use geometry in estimating materials on a regular basis. It has many applications for many industrial labor jobs too. Challenging subjects are not reason enough to drop it as a requirement. English is a requirement too, but many will not be authors, yet writing a report for work happens often. Make more time for the important subjects by restricting elective classes.
My father used geometry to do estimates of the materials he would use in his dry wall business. However he never needed to write a proof that two triangles are congruent. He never took a geometry class, but he knew how do the area calculations that he needed.

I'm not saying that math should not be taught. I'm saying students should not move to an advanced level before they become proficient at a basic level. The students that are ready for the advanced level will suffer if the teacher is busy remediating the students that don't understand the prerequisites.

So you are for dumming down the math classes so these kids can pass. And the kids that will actually go on to use the math will suffer due to the much slower pace.
The nuns and brothers didn't dumb down anything...they taught, they encouraged, they motivated, they kicked ass...what America used to be like...until the Libs arrived.
Did everyone have to take algebra, geomety and trig, or was there a basic math track?
With the nuns and brothers everything was mandatory...that was then...not sure about now. Everything seems voluntary now....my grandsons go to a university with 50000 students....400 are math majors...as the economy screams for math majors....
Perhaps it should be mandatory that all 50000 thousand of those students should be math majors. The professors can motivate and kick ass such that they all can learn advanced calculus.
When opportunity stares you in the face do you go math, science, computers as far as your aptitude will allow or do you settle for the psychology/sociology degree? What will you do when obama isn't here to suckle on?
I have the degree. My degree is in engineering which has advanced math out the ass, and I am no obama fan.

When I was in middle school, the school I went to took part in this experimental math curriculum where each student worked at their own pace from the textbooks, working a certain amount of time each night as homework. We took a test at the end of each chapter, and moved on to the next one.

It worked out well for me, I was taking calculus by 10th grade.
With today's technology that type of curriculum should become much more common. Virtual Nerd Real math help for school and home

My high school freshman is in pre-calculus now.

If you asked him, I'm sure he would declare that he has had quite enough, but I do imagine he will be in for more.

My high school freshman is in pre-calculus now.

If you asked him, I'm sure he would declare that he has had quite enough, but I do imagine he will be in for more.
And rightly so. However, do you want your son to be in a class that spends two weeks on a topic that your son masters in two days? That is what is happening when students that are not ready for an advanced math class are forced to take it with students that are ready to advance.

By definition, average IQ is 100. The chunk of students with IQs from 75 to 90 are probably going to be better served practicing basic math to increase proficiency rather than moving to more advance math classes. This type of student will be better served being taught practical math like how to balance a checkbook than how to graph a quadratic equation.

Last edited:
When I was in high school in the early eighties, my high school only required two math units ( out of 18 total units) to graduate. There was a college prep track which included algebra I, geometry, algebra II, advance algebra and trig ( precalculus ), and calculus. There was also a general track which required two units of general math. As such, the college prep math classes were rigorous because the students actually wanted to learn the math. Those that had no interest in learning how to solve an equation would take the units of general math.

Today in the same high school all students are either on a college prep track or an honors track. A minimum of four math units are required for a high school diploma. Because all students are required to take Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II, the range of abilities in a class is very broad. There are students that learn the math As soon as they are presented with a math topic while there are other students who are still not proficient with basic arithmetic such as adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers and working with fractions. The result of this is that the math classes either have to be dummed down for the slower students or the bottom third of the students will end up failing the math classes. Since the graduation rate of the school would be unacceptable if a third of the students couldn't pass math, the classes are dummed down. As such, the students that will go on to careers that will use advance mathematics suffer because the classes are not as rigorous as they could be. Many people, once they get out of high school never solve equations again in their lives. Should all high school students be pushed through the advanced maths like algebra, geometry (with algebra and proofs) even when they are not proficient with basic math?
Basic arithmetic without the use of a calculator should be the measure.

Beyond that is specialization most will never use.
That.

Given my druthers, I'd make Calc I &II, basic Philosophy, Intro to Micro and Macroeconomics, Writing, Public Speaking, US History I & II, and World History I & II the requirements to get beyond the Freshman year of college. If a kid can get through Trig and Calc I in high school good. If not, then they can take remedial classes at a community college before starting at a university. If they can't even get through algebra and geometry in high school, the world needs ditch diggers too.

Actually being able to do the coursework whatever the course may be instead of being given credit for trying.

Double-entry accounting

The book is free:

ACCOUNTING THEORY AND PRACTICE:
A TEXT-BOOK FOR COLLEGES AND
SCHOOLS OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

by ROY B. KESTER, Ph.D.

CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT; ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR of ACCOUNTING.
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
Accounting Theory and Practice Roy Bernard Kester Free Download Streaming Internet Archive

Extra Credit:

Cyclopedia of Commerce, Accountancy, Business Administration, v. 1,
by Various
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Cyclopedia of Commerce Accountancy Business Administration v. 1 by Corps of Professionals.

Cyclopedia of Commerce, Accountancy, Business Administration v. 2,
by Various
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Project Gutenberg eBook of Cyclopedia of Commerce Accountancy Business Administration v. 2 by Corps of Professionals.

Cyclopedia of Commerce, Accountancy, Business Administration, v. 3,
by Various
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Cyclopedia of Commerce Accountancy Business Administration v. 1 by Corps of Professionals.

Cyclopedia of Commerce, Accountancy, Business Administration, v. 4,
by Various
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Cyclopedia of Commerce Accountancy Business Administration v. 4 by American School Of CorrespondenceCorps of Professionals.

psik

Forum List

Back