What should be done with how our income taxes get spent?

whitehouse.gov/2011-taxreceipt

Your 2011 Federal Taxpayer Receipt

I'm going with the assumption that the list is accurate.

If most Americans believe that tax payer money (federal income tax) could be better spent, what specific cuts should be made based on how the tax dollars are presently allocated?

what spending/allocation of resources can be increased for the better of the federal budget and America in general?

I would appreciate how much of an impact you believe your changes would make in the short and long term.

Income Tax % of Total Income

National Defense 24.9%

Health care 23.7%

Job and Family Security 19.1%

Education and Job Training 3.6%

Veterans Benefits 4.5%

Natural Resources, Energy, and Environment 2.0%

International Affairs 1.6%

Science, Space, and Technology Programs 1.0%

Immigration, Law Enforcement, and Administration of Justice 2.0%

Agriculture 0.7%

Community, Area, and Regional Development 0.5%

Response to Natural Disasters 0.4%

Additional Government Programs 7.9%

Net Interest 8.1%
You know what I think would be an interesting experiment, let taxpayers list where they want their federal income tax spent. Just as a hypothetical, not that the government would be forced to act on it.

Let's suppose all your categories are correct.
What if one year the federal government sent out that list with the percentages included and asked each person that actually paid tax to designate where they would want their tax dollars to go when they filed their taxes?
For instance, one person might specify that they want their tax dollars to be apportioned at 70% national defense, 10% veterans benefits and 20% education --- but somebody else might request 10% national defense, 30% healthcare, 25% education, 25% Job and Family Security, and the rest scattered through the other programs.

I just think it would be interesting to see where the people would choose to spend their money if given a direct choice. I'm not advocating that the government actually apportion the taxes as requested by the people, but I would like to see the choice of the people.

If most Americans believe that tax payer money (federal income tax) could be better spent, what specific cuts should be made based on how the tax dollars are presently allocated?

what spending/allocation of resources can be increased for the better of the federal budget and America in general?

I would appreciate how much of an impact you believe your changes would make in the short and long term.

National Defense 24.9%

Health care 23.7%

Veterans Benefits 4.5%

Agriculture 0.7%

Net Interest 8.1%
You know what I think would be an interesting experiment, let taxpayers list where they want their federal income tax spent. Just as a hypothetical, not that the government would be forced to act on it.

What if one year the federal government sent out that list with the percentages included and asked each person that actually paid tax to designate where they would want their tax dollars to go when they filed their taxes?
For instance, one person might specify that they want their tax dollars to be apportioned at 70% national defense, 10% veterans benefits and 20% education --- but somebody else might request 10% national defense, 30% healthcare, 25% education, 25% Job and Family Security, and the rest scattered through the other programs.

I just think it would be interesting to see where the people would choose to spend their money if given a direct choice. I'm not advocating that the government actually apportion the taxes as requested by the people, but I would like to see the choice of the people.

It would result in really bizarre outcomes, because the average person has no idea where the budget goes. Like how the majority of Americans support cutting foreign aid, but they also think it's 10% of the budget.

National Defense 24.9%

Health care 23.7%

Veterans Benefits 4.5%

Agriculture 0.7%

Net Interest 8.1%

It would result in really bizarre outcomes, because the average person has no idea where the budget goes. Like how the majority of Americans support cutting foreign aid, but they also think it's 10% of the budget.

If you take out defense, interest payments, entitlements and all the other NON-DISCRETIONARY items, --- Then the relative proportion of ALL these other little pieces (like Foreign Aid) go up IMMENSELY>>>

Wouldn't be surprised if Foreign Aid (including loan guarantees and IMF/UN debts) was 8 or 10% of the DISCRETIONARY budget..

I don't know which category it is under but according to the ad I just saw on here, they are letting everyone know they can now get a free cell phone if they can't afford it. Actually I do know it is a real program, along with internet, etc. Been going on for awhile now. Our good ole tax dollars at work.

The free cell program isn't paid for by our tax dollars (clean debate zone).

National Defense 24.9%

Health care 23.7%

Veterans Benefits 4.5%

Agriculture 0.7%

Net Interest 8.1%

The Federal budget should be devoted to paying for things that are the federal government's core responsibilities. Other things, like education, arts, comunity development, etc are not the federal government's responsibility.
Says who?

The Congress disagrees.

If you take out defense, interest payments, entitlements and all the other NON-DISCRETIONARY items, --- Then the relative proportion of ALL these other little pieces (like Foreign Aid) go up IMMENSELY>>>

Wouldn't be surprised if Foreign Aid (including loan guarantees and IMF/UN debts) was 8 or 10% of the DISCRETIONARY budget..

The way the budget counts loan guarantees is asinine, but without getting in to that, the surveys are talking about the total budget. People think foreign aid is 10% of the total budget, not just the discretionary portions of the budget. You are correct that foreign aid is about 10% of the non-defense, non-discretionary budget (virtually all defense spending is discretionary spending), but that's like saying ice cream is 10% of household budget if I exclude rent, utilities, and gas for my car.

The way the budget counts loan guarantees is asinine, but without getting in to that, the surveys are talking about the total budget. People think foreign aid is 10% of the total budget, not just the discretionary portions of the budget. You are correct that foreign aid is about 10% of the non-defense, non-discretionary budget (virtually all defense spending is discretionary spending), but that's like saying ice cream is 10% of household budget if I exclude rent, utilities, and gas for my car.

Thanks for proving the point. If ice cream is 10% of your DISCRETIONARY budget -- you probably have a HUGE problem and a HUGE ass...

Thanks for proving the point. If ice cream is 10% of your DISCRETIONARY budget -- you probably have a HUGE problem and a HUGE ass...

That doesn't prove your point. It illustrates the weakness of saying "this thing is huge because it's a significant percentage of those cross-section of the budget I've zeroed in on".

But is large-scale abuse actually occurring? Seems doubtful.

How do we know? There's no BUDGET!!!!

We know because we can look at the appropriations.

Oh?!

Those count all of a sudden?

Because, around these parts, Liberals tell me that the two wars were kept "off the books and not part of the debt".
They are afraid to remember the appropriations that passed to allow them to continue to be funded.

So glad there is one genuine thinker in the bunch.
:cool:

Appropriations have always counted. The "budget" isn't a unified document in the first place, it's really a series of appropriations. The reason liberals talked about the cost of the wars being "kept off the books" is that they were funded using emergency appropriations, which are not considered part of the budget.

Appropriations have always counted. The "budget" isn't a unified document in the first place, it's really a series of appropriations. The reason liberals talked about the cost of the wars being "kept off the books" is that they were funded using emergency appropriations, which are not considered part of the budget.

If they'd stop there, I'd have no beef with the dishonest hacks.

But they have to take the extra step and say that the war monies weren't part of our debt/deficit

:cool:

They're part of the debt, but they're not counted as part of the deficit, since the deficit figures are calculated based on the budget.

If most Americans believe that tax payer money (federal income tax) could be better spent,

Yes it could be better spent by spending it in a competitive manner to the greatest extent possible. That is the only conceivable way to know if it is well spent. For example, many parts of the government still do not use competitive bidding. It seems like a simple concept but liberals find it impossible to grasp it seems.

New Topics

Forum List

Back