What Rights Should Prisoners Have?

The war on drugs is what is causing the population to spiral out of control. Get that out and there will be far fewer issues within our system.

You don't think that's the slightest bit simplistic?

At first reaction you would think so but the evidence says otherwise. There are WAY too many people in jail that are there solely because of a simple carrying or selling charge and spending a MASSIVE amount of time for it. I believe CA has an automatic 10 year penalty for meth. That's longer than many child molesters receive! How is that right, you are only hurting yourself when you do drugs. The issue really is THAT simple and unfortunately no one is willing to politically come out and deal with that problem. There are far too many people that will not think about the issue before jumping on the drugs are evil bandwagon.

yeah, deal with drug addicts and there effects on their families for ten years then come back and tell me that using drugs only affects the person using them.

By the way California maximum sentence for simple possession is 3 years, and that is NOT mandatory, it's simply the MAX.The failures on this message board amuse me.

California Health and Safety Code Section 11377

(a) Except as authorized by law and as otherwise provided in
subdivision (b) or Section 11375, or in Article 7 (commencing with
Section 4211) of Chapter 9 of Division 2 of the Business and
Professions Code, every person who possesses any controlled substance
which is (1) classified in Schedule III, IV, or V, and which is not
a narcotic drug, (2) specified in subdivision (d) of Section 11054,
except paragraphs (13), (14), (15), and (20) of subdivision (d), (3)
specified in paragraph (11) of subdivision (c) of Section 11056, (4)
specified in paragraph (2) or (3) of subdivision (f) of Section
11054, or (5) specified in subdivision (d), (e), or (f) of Section
11055, unless upon the prescription of a physician, dentist,
podiatrist, or veterinarian, licensed to practice in this state,
shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for a period of
not more than one year or in the state prison.
(b) (1) Any person who violates subdivision (a) by unlawfully
possessing a controlled substance specified in subdivision (f) of
Section 11056, and who has not previously been convicted of a
violation involving a controlled substance specified in subdivision
(f) of Section 11056, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(2) Any person who violates subdivision (a) by unlawfully
possessing a controlled substance specified in subdivision (g) of
Section 11056 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(3) Any person who violates subdivision (a) by unlawfully
possessing a controlled substance specified in paragraph (7) or (8)
of subdivision (d) of Section 11055 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(4) Any person who violates subdivision (a) by unlawfully
possessing a controlled substance specified in paragraph (8) of
subdivision (f) of Section 11057 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(c) In addition to any fine assessed under subdivision (b), the
judge may assess a fine not to exceed seventy dollars ($70) against
any person who violates subdivision (a), with the proceeds of this
fine to be used in accordance with Section 1463.23 of the Penal Code.
The court shall, however, take into consideration the defendant's
ability to pay, and no defendant shall be denied probation because of
his or her inability to pay the fine permitted under this
subdivision.

http://law.onecle.com/california/health/11377.html

Last edited:
I pity those who are addicted to illegal drugs. I despise people too who ridicule drug addicts and then it is discovered that they too are addicts - aka Rush Limpdick.

I pity those who are addicted to illegal drugs. I despise people too who ridicule drug addicts and then it is discovered that they too are addicts - aka Rush Limpdick.

I pity those who are addicted to little boys and suggest neutering.

At first reaction you would think so but the evidence says otherwise. There are WAY too many people in jail that are there solely because of a simple carrying or selling charge and spending a MASSIVE amount of time for it. I believe CA has an automatic 10 year penalty for meth. That's longer than many child molesters receive! How is that right, you are only hurting yourself when you do drugs. The issue really is THAT simple and unfortunately no one is willing to politically come out and deal with that problem. There are far too many people that will not think about the issue before jumping on the drugs are evil bandwagon.

yeah, deal with drug addicts and there effects on their families for ten years then come back and tell me that using drugs only affects the person using them.

By the way California maximum sentence for simple possession is 3 years, and that is NOT mandatory, it's simply the MAX.The failures on this message board amuse me.
As a matter of fact I have. My father is a cocaine addict, was a heavy use for many years. The fact of the matter is that incarceration does not help the situation on iota, nor do 90 percent of the drug laws in effect today. Incarceration actually makes the situation worse, not better. Addiction is not a simple thing to deal with and it takes more than a stick to get someone off drugs. To kick the habit you need a personal reason to. For my father it was his grandson after he became ill. It forced his eyes open and allowed him to see where he wanted to be rather than where he was.

The war on drugs is what is causing the population to spiral out of control. Get that out and there will be far fewer issues within our system.

NO...as unbelievable as it seems, marijuana is a schedule I drug along with heroin! Nixon and his fucked up paranoia screwed this nation, wake the fuck up America!

US_incarceration_timeline.gif

incarceration_rates_worldwide.gif

Highlights of Nixon comments on marijuana:

* Jews and marijuana: "I see another thing in the news summary this morning about it. That's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob, what is the matter with them? I suppose it's because most of them are psychiatrists . . ."

* Marijuana and the culture wars: "You see, homosexuality, dope, immorality in general. These are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing the stuff, they're trying to destroy us."

* Marijuana compared to alcohol: marijuana consumers smoke "to get high" while "a person drinks to have fun." Nixon also saw marijuana leading to loss of motivation and discipline but claimed: "At least with liquor I don't lose motivation."

* Marijuana and political dissent: ". . . radical demonstrators that were here . . . two weeks ago . . . They're all on drugs, virtually all."

* Drug education: "Enforce the law, you’ve got to scare them."

Drug%20Scheduling%20Emergency%20Medicine%20Practice.JPG

NO...as unbelievable as it seems, marijuana is a schedule I drug along with heroin! Nixon and his fucked up paranoia screwed this nation, wake the fuck up America!

* Jews and marijuana: "I see another thing in the news summary this morning about it. That's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob, what is the matter with them? I suppose it's because most of them are psychiatrists . . ."

* Marijuana and the culture wars: "You see, homosexuality, dope, immorality in general. These are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing the stuff, they're trying to destroy us."

* Marijuana compared to alcohol: marijuana consumers smoke "to get high" while "a person drinks to have fun." Nixon also saw marijuana leading to loss of motivation and discipline but claimed: "At least with liquor I don't lose motivation."

* Marijuana and political dissent: ". . . radical demonstrators that were here . . . two weeks ago . . . They're all on drugs, virtually all."

Do you know WHY MJ is a Schedule 1 drug?

Marijuana is a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Schedule I drugs are classified as having a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

If any of those change let us know , will you?

Marijuana is a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Schedule I drugs are classified as having a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Just letting you know, one has changed!

Medical cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's illegal for three reasons:

1- Mexicans smoked it

2- it was cheaper than chopping down forests to make paper and other textile products

3- war protesters smoked it

History: those who don't know it...

Really? Care to show me who has accepted it for medical use?

WOW, are you really THAT fucking ignorant Hog brain? Ever hear the term 'Medical marijuana'?

If you truly CARE about America and AmericANS, then lobby for this one simple change. Legalize marijuana and add the biggest killer in this country to the Schedule I list.....alcohol

Maine for one place.

Two seconds on Google, retard

14 Legal Medical Marijuana States - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Laws, Fees, and Possession Limits

I. Fourteen states have enacted laws that legalize medical marijuana:

State Year Passed How Passed
(Yes Vote)
ID Card Fee Possession Limit Accepts other states' registry ID cards? 1. Alaska
Ballot Measure 8 (58%) $25/$20
1 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
Unknown * 2. California
Proposition 215 (56%) $66/$33
8 oz usable; 18 plants (6 mature, 12 immature)**
No 3. Colorado
Ballot Amendment 20 (54%) $90
2 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
No 4. Hawaii
Senate Bill 862 (32-18 House; 13-12 Senate) $25
3 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
No 5. Maine
Ballot Question 2 (61%) ***
2.5 oz usable; 6 plants
Yes 6. Michigan 2008 Proposal 1 (63%) $100/$25 2.5 oz usable; 12 plants Yes 7. Montana
Initiative 148 (62%) $25/$10
1 oz usable; 6 plants
Yes 8. Nevada
Ballot Question 9 (65%) $150 +
1 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
No 9. New Jersey
Senate Bill 119 (48-14 House; 25-13 Senate) ****
2 oz usable
Unknown 10. New Mexico 2007 Senate Bill 523 (36-31 House; 32-3 Senate) $0 6 oz usable; 16 plants (4 mature, 12 immature)
No 11. Oregon
Ballot Measure 67 (55%) $100/$20
24 oz usable; 24 plants (6 mature, 18 immature)
No 12. Rhode Island
Senate Bill 0710 (52-10 House; 33-1 Senate) $75/$10
2.5 oz usable; 12 plants
Yes 13. Vermont
Senate Bill 76 (22-7) HB 645 (82-59) $50
2 oz usable; 9 plants (2 mature, 7 immature)
No 14. Washington
Initiative 692 (59%) *****
24 oz usable; 15 plants
No

Ever heard of Marinol?

Oh i like the rape thing being dealt out to all pedophiles. I hope it would teach them how it feels.

I never thought I'd see someone on these boards take a pro-rape stance. It takes a big sort of scumbag to do so.

syrenn, nobody hates pedophiles more than me, but rape is a crime. It's a terrible crime. And we both know it isn't dealt out in some just fashion....we can stop it from happening and prosecute those who commit it. I say we should make prisons safer.

You asked. I have no sympathy for them at all. I would have pedophiles put in general populations, their crimes announced to the rest of the prisoners...and let justice be handed out. I don't relay care if a crime being committed against them...to fucking bad.

Yeah let's completely throw out the rule of law, fairness etc. just so we can appear to be tough on crime or whatever.

Are you completely insane?

The first thing I want from a prison housing violent offenders is safety -- I want to feel they are not among us, and won't harm anyone else. Everything else after that is secondary.

I dunno why prisons have to allow television (and apparently cable?). Seems like a luxury to me. So does smoking....if I cannot smoke in a public place, why should they?

But the question remains, what do we do with violent offenders who will one day be released again? Do we give them therapy, trade school, etc.? If we don't, aren't we the ones who pay eventually?

Shoot them, problem solved.

So you want the death penalty for someone who say starts a bar fight?

Seems excessive don't you think?

Forum List

Back