What right to work would do for NY

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
What right to work would do for NY​

12/12/2012 | Mark Mix

Union bosses are fuming at the prospect of a Michigan Right to Work law, but New Yorkers concerned about protecting employee freedom and reviving their state’s flagging economy should consider Michigan’s example.

It’s hard to imagine the Empire State adopting a Right to Work law — but it would be right for businesses, taxpayers and workers.

Big Labor’s top officials huff and puff about Right to Work laws, but they never tell you what they actually do. That’s because nearly 80 percent of Americans support the Right to Work principle when it’s presented to them in straightforward terms.

Right to Work laws don’t ban unions, nor make union organizing illegal. They don’t impinge on anybody’s right to voluntarily join a labor organization. Instead, Right to Work laws ensure that no worker can be forced to join or pay dues to a union to get or keep a job.

This straightforward principle is aimed at protecting workers’ freedom of association. In New York and other states without Right to Work, nonunion employees are routinely forced to financially support unions they have no interest in joining or associating with.

And union officials then use their power to extract dues from nonunion workers to funnel that cash into Big Labor’s political war chest.

A Right to Work law would end this coercive arrangement in New York by ensuring that no worker is forced to pay union dues or fees as a condition of employment. It would also help make union officials more accountable to workers: If voluntary members are the only ones paying dues, union leadership would have to become more responsive to those workers, lest it lose out on potential revenue.

(Excerpt)

Read more
Right to work would boost New York—Mark Mix - NYPOST.com

It's always funny to me when people claim to hate government interference in the markets are all for Right to Work laws.

I guess "interfering in the markets" is ok, as long as you're interfering on behalf of corporations, right?

Seriously. We don't need any more McJobs here. NYC is the bastion of small businesses and entrepreneurial spirit. We actually like our workers here.

It's always funny to me when people claim to hate government interference in the markets are all for Right to Work laws.

I guess "interfering in the markets" is ok, as long as you're interfering on behalf of corporations, right?

Lol. Right to work states don't interfere in the market. Quite the opposite. They loosen the market.

Lol. Right to work states don't interfere in the market. Quite the opposite. They loosen the market.

The government regulating private contracts is "loosening" the market?

If union jobs are so bad,

why is that so many people want them?

If union jobs are so great, why are new employees forced to join the union, or still pay dues if they refuse to join?
Hmm.., I notice that the guys that were smoking pot and drinking booze on their lunch break are back working, because the union covered them. We all know they deserved to be fired.

Forum List

Back