Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Hindu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atheist

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • any I forgot

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
no I am making an observation that people judge each other. Sometimes they judge other peoples' belief systems bedcause they are different. Other posts have severely judged Catholicism, Judaism, Islam etc.

Originally posted by dilloduck
I believe that human effort and reason to define a God and his "will" to be futile

But it isn't about defining a God. It's whether or not you believe there is a God, or gods. An agnostic says, I don't know, there might be, there might not be. The question is, which way do you lean, or are you right on the fence.

I don't believe anyone is precisely balanced in that they tend to gravitate one way or the other. One is either a non-specific theist, or an atheist.

Originally posted by Zhukov
But it isn't about defining a God. It's whether or not you believe there is a God, or gods. An agnostic says, I don't know, there might be, there might not be. The question is, which way do you lean, or are you right on the fence.

I don't believe anyone is precisely balanced in that they tend to gravitate one way or the other. One is either a non-specific theist, or an atheist.

This agnostic says that the point is moot. Someone else could probably tell better than I which way I lean than I can. I enjoy conversations about religion but feel as it will make no difference if there is a grand scheme of things. Things happen and whatever control that I appear to have I will use for what I think is positive.

So you think that the existence, or non-existence (outside of thought), of a supreme being is completely unimportant?

That's fine.

I would point out though, that there either is or isn't a God.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I think it was Gop guy's intention to break the Christian religion into its three primary branches, as historically recognized.

See, that is the issue - Christianity is not a religion - it is a belief.

Historical recognition has no bearing; as this recognition is based on the perceptin of the historian. Christianity at its roots was a belief system based on the life and teachings of Jesus; spiritual but not religious nature. When Rome adopted it to replace their many gods, it started becoming bastardized into so-called religions - all full of rituals utilized to demonstrate their "great faith". I might add thta the Jews at the time had their rituals and observances of the "law" as well, but I digress.

So, Catholocism was the main gig in town for quite some time - then all the various off shoot began. Why? becuase everyone thought their "rituals were wrong" and therefore started their own version of what they thought Christianity should be. Now - all the happy campers decided that since THEIR version was tho only correct version - they should impose their will/version on everyone else - sound familiar?

IMHO and the way I practice my belief system, Christianity is a bible based spritual belief system. I practice no specific rituals (as there are none in the New Testament other than perhaps communion), and try and put the teachings or Patience, Love, Tolerance, Acceptance and Forgivness to use in my daily life.

This does not make me right nor does it make anyone else wrong. Its just that I am the square peg that does not fit in the round hole of the poll within this thread.

:cool:

Originally posted by HGROKIT
See, that is the issue - Christianity is not a religion - it is a belief.

Historical recognition has no bearing; as this recognition is based on the perceptin of the historian. Christianity at its roots was a belief system based on the life and teachings of Jesus; spiritual but not religious nature. When Rome adopted it to replace their many gods, it started becoming bastardized into so-called religions - all full of rituals utilized to demonstrate their "great faith". I might add thta the Jews at the time had their rituals and observances of the "law" as well, but I digress.

So, Catholocism was the main gig in town for quite some time - then all the various off shoot began. Why? becuase everyone thought their "rituals were wrong" and therefore started their own version of what they thought Christianity should be. Now - all the happy campers decided that since THEIR version was tho only correct version - they should impose their will/version on everyone else - sound familiar?

IMHO and the way I practice my belief system, Christianity is a bible based spritual belief system. I practice no specific rituals (as there are none in the New Testament other than perhaps communion), and try and put the teachings or Patience, Love, Tolerance, Acceptance and Forgivness to use in my daily life.

This does not make me right nor does it make anyone else wrong. Its just that I am the square peg that does not fit in the round hole of the poll within this thread.

:cool:

My EXACT position as well.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
I practice no specific rituals (as there are none in the New Testament other than perhaps communion),

I dunno about that. Ive read the New testament many times and Baptism seems to be a rather popular one as well.

Besides whats wrong with ritual? Its through Rituals we make covenants and accept the Atonement in our lives. It is through rituals we learn. The only danger is relying on the rituals rather than Christ.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
I dunno about that. Ive read the New testament many times and Baptism seems to be a rather popular one as well.

Besides whats wrong with ritual? Its through Rituals we make covenants and accept the Atonement in our lives. It is through rituals we learn. The only danger is relying on the rituals rather than Christ.

eh - got me on that one. It is not ritual per se, but as you pointed out, the fact that they tend to get int the way. i.e. the false or spiritual pride that can accompany them.

I am a recovering Catholic - there is a plethora of rituals surrounding their worship - none of which have basis in the NT, but must be observed if you are to be "saved". Their rituals come from their doctrine - again with no basis in the NT.

I am not as eloquent as allot of you on these boards. I am just saying that my belief and understanding from bible study is that ritualism is not what is asked or required. Having a knowledge of the word and a heart open to service to God and your fellow however is.

The worship service I go to has no ritual (unless you would claim singing praise and worship songs as such). We come together as a body, sing praise and worship, prayer together and study the bible with the Pastor.

Not sure i am making sense, but my philosphy is if it isn't in the bible, I don't do it :)

Originally posted by JohnGalt
Ah, Johnney, must be a fan of Maddox. Ever read his, "There is plenty of room for agnostics, in hell." post?
his site it quite interesting, get a good chuckle out of it...lol

and Fan, if you want to waste your breath, go ahead, i could care less

Forum List

Back