What pre-civil war American cities had the most slaves

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I'll make it easy, Charleston S.C. holds the record for the most Africans held in bondage in slavery in a single US city. The city that gets second place has a nickname of a fruit and it ain't the peach.

The big apple?

Naw, that was a yankee city

You win sunni. New York City had the most slaves. So what's the point? History is bigger than you think. The left wing often views history through nearsighted hate filled glasses. Slavery wasn't an issue that came and went during the four years of civil unrest in the early 1860's. The flag that flew off the stern of slave trade ships was the American flag or the Union Jack not the Confederate battle flag. New Jersey banned slavery only a decade before the Civil War. During the Civil War Draft Riots in New York, Black people, men and women, were lynched to lamp posts throughout the city. There is enough historic guilt to go around without focusing hatred on the South and southern democrats.

During colonial periods I wouldnt be suprised if New york, Boston and Philadelphia rounded out the top 3 for most slaves, mostly because those were the 3 biggest cities.

It make sense that New York would be one of top slave cities.

Originally, it was called New Amsterdam.

The Dutch Jews organized and ran the slave trade in the North and South Americas from there.

It make sense that New York would be one of top slave cities.

Originally, it was called New Amsterdam.

The Dutch Jews organized and ran the slave trade in the North and South Americas from there.

It makes sense because NYC was the center for trade on the East Coast and slaves were an important commodity. Slaves weren't just used in the southern cotton flelds, Yankees used them in all kinds of ways up to the begining of the industrial revolution. If you want to make a religious issue out of it you could investigate the muslem slave trade that existed then and still exists.

The big apple?

You win sunni. New York City had the most slaves. So what's the point? History is bigger than you think. The left wing often views history through nearsighted hate filled glasses. Slavery wasn't an issue that came and went during the four years of civil unrest in the early 1860's. The flag that flew off the stern of slave trade ships was the American flag or the Union Jack not the Confederate battle flag. New Jersey banned slavery only a decade before the Civil War. During the Civil War Draft Riots in New York, Black people, men and women, were lynched to lamp posts throughout the city. There is enough historic guilt to go around without focusing hatred on the South and southern democrats.

Interesting....you have a link on that or should we just take your word?

The big apple?

Did you ask your teacher if he had a link when he gave you homework? Here's the deal, I make the provocative statements and you do the research to refute them or go home.

Did you ask your teacher if he had a link when he gave you homework? Here's the deal, I make the provocative statements and you do the research to refute them or go home.

Typically when someone is going to make a claim the onus is on them to prove that claim. It's not on the rest of us to prove a negative.

Still not passing the common sense test

I'd like to see a link..show me the NYC slaves

Typically when someone is going to make a claim the onus is on them to prove that claim. It's not on the rest of us to prove a negative.

Typically? What are you ten years old? Typically we post thousands of facts on the internet without claiming a link. Do the work fools.

Typically? What are you ten years old? Typically we post thousands of facts on the internet without claiming a link. Do the work fools.

Looking for a link that shows NYC held more slaves than any other city but Charleston. It's your thread...it should be easy

OK kiddies, google NYC and slaves. You will find that NY had the largest population of slaves simply because the Dutch slave traders transfered their holdings to the Duke of York and the Brits expanded the slave trade. Google NY Civil War Draft riots for accounts of New Yorkers lynching every Black face they could find to the nearest lamp post.

OK kiddies, google NYC and slaves. You will find that NY had the largest population of slaves simply because the Dutch slave traders transfered their holdings to the Duke of York and the Brits expanded the slave trade. Google NY Civil War Draft riots for accounts of New Yorkers lynching every Black face they could find to the nearest lamp post.

Good start

Can we get some detail? Year you are talking about?

I am familiar with the draft riots....horrible stuff that shows racism existed in NYC.

Looks like you are babbling about pre-revolution not pre Civil War

I'm not trying to make a point about how evil America was. I'm trying to illustrate the span of history and the evils of slavery that permiated every colony and later every state. Slavery wasn't a southern invention. Slaves were a commodity and were imported by mostly Yankee ships in the early 1800s and sold to the Southern plantations. The Civil War might have been about State's Rights or Slavery or a hundred other things but the important point is that the few years that the Confederacy existed should not be the focus of hatred about slavery but it is a convenient target. Americans on both sides died to cleanse America from the gullt of slavery. Nearsighted left wingers want to blame a segment of the United States for slavery because they were taught elementry biased history or their education was limited or based on pop-culture but we should know by now that the blame for slavery is shared throughout the world.

Forum List

Back