What plastic objects cause the most waste in the sea?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
880x495_cmsv2_1d976d99-6405-5d52-8a65-149f39ac7d61-3133202.jpg

There is some interesting information in this article. For instance, plastic bottles make up 12% of the waste found in the oceans. The biggest culprit? Food wrappers/containers.

And, cigarette butts are the number one item collected.

A report published last year suggested that up to 95% of the plastic in the world's oceans travelled via one of 10 rivers - The Yangtze, the Indus, the Yellow River, the Hai River, the Nile, the Ganges, the Pearl River, the Amur River, the Niger, and the Mekong.

More @ What plastic objects cause the most waste in the sea?

What idiocy! Who ever thought that single use plastics could be commercialized without some sort of economic incentive to clean them up? This is an example of why some criticize capitalism when it shows itself to be irresponsible.

Water doesn't go away, just recycles. We should learn from that.

There is some interesting information in this article. For instance, plastic bottles make up 12% of the waste found in the oceans. The biggest culprit? Food wrappers/containers.

A report published last year suggested that up to 95% of the plastic in the world's oceans travelled via one of 10 rivers - The Yangtze, the Indus, the Yellow River, the Hai River, the Nile, the Ganges, the Pearl River, the Amur River, the Niger, and the Mekong.

Why are not free enterprises creating companies that would gather up these plastic floating dumps for recycling purposes ?? No money to be made ?? Looks like the next possibility for a big time corporate venture. Not like corporate America to leave money laying around like that.

It is closer to home than many think:

"Researchers at New York’s Rochester Institute of Technology estimate that the total plastic annually entering the Great Lakes system is nearly 10,000 metric tons, or 22 million pounds. Lake Michigan suffers half the pollution because of high population areas and the fact that water cycles more slowly through its system. Tiny plastics, called “microplastics,” account for much of the pollution and make cleaning the lakes difficult. Studying how plastics enter and move through lake systems is important. Solutions to lake pollution will require interstate and international cooperation"
Lake Michigan and Other Great Lakes Suffer from Plastic Pollution

I understand a new plastic eating organism has been found.

Recycle, do not litter.
That's all we need is something un-natural where as it will have even worse results or effects on human life than the plastic itself could have ever had on us.

Are scientist toying with things that could unleash untold horrors upon us as we have seen in the past in which has happened trying to solve a man made problem ???

Look at the side effects of drugs, treatments and such, and look at the AG industry where they are applying all sorts of unhealthy science to increase crop yields or the poultry industry with it's antibiotics, and the growing a chicken to it's grown up stage in a few weeks etc.

Are we the biggest losers in the universe due our greed and idiocy ??

Why are we so dumb and greedy all at the same time ?

The rivers all go through African, Chinese and Indian shit holes, not Europe or the United States. All our plastic waste goes into land fills, or it gets recycled. All this hectoring of Americans about the plastic in the pacific ocean is wasted effort.

I've been to Egypt, and I've seen with my own eyes that the country is one vast garbage dump. People just throw the garbage right in the street. It's no surprise that the Nile would be full of garbage.

Last edited:

The rivers all go through African, Chinese and Indian shit holes are responsible, not Europe or the United States. All our platic waste goes into land fills, or it gets recycled. All this hectoring of Americans about the plastic in the pacific ocean is wasted effort.

I've been to Egypt, and I've seen with my own eyes that the country is one vast garbage dump. People just throw the garbage right in the street. It's no surprise that the Nile would be full of garbage.

Wrong again moron.

For those who can read, and not simply echo Fox talking heads, see:

22 Million Pounds of Plastic Enters Great Lakes Each Year

We need to limit how much food people in 3rd world nations can have.

The rivers all go through African, Chinese and Indian shit holes are responsible, not Europe or the United States. All our platic waste goes into land fills, or it gets recycled. All this hectoring of Americans about the plastic in the pacific ocean is wasted effort.

Wrong again moron.

For those who can read, and not simply echo Fox talking heads, see:

22 Million Pounds of Plastic Enters Great Lakes Each Year
Shame what those Democrat controlled regions do to the environment.

Pretty much like what the DC Mall looked like after the Obama inaugurations - landfills of trash.

"Researchers at New York’s Rochester Institute of Technology estimate that the total plastic annually entering the Great Lakes system is nearly 10,000 metric tons, or 22 million pounds. Lake Michigan suffers half the pollution because of high population areas and the fact that water cycles more slowly through its system. Tiny plastics, called “microplastics,” account for much of the pollution and make cleaning the lakes difficult. Studying how plastics enter and move through lake systems is important. Solutions to lake pollution will require interstate and international cooperation"
I don't believe a word of anything posted on a site called "EcoWatch."

Your pic looks like the coast of India, not lake Michigan.

I'm not surprised, you must only believe Hannity and/or one or other right wing conspiracy charlatans.

Trumps fault that India pollutes.

Was dulpat9643 your mentor?
Does he box the ears of leftards too?

Your mentor and you, but always seem to fail. I suppose living in the box which only allows conspiracy theories and cherry picked facts by The Ministry of Truth on K St. makes hacks safe from cognitive dissonance, as you and he only see shadows; Plato explained your malady in the Analogy of the Cave.
Don't get pissed at me just because I beat you to the punch blaming Trump.

What idiocy! Who ever thought that single use plastics could be commercialized without some sort of economic incentive to clean them up? This is an example of why some criticize capitalism when it shows itself to be irresponsible.

It's the people using them that are irresponsible

If people weren't such fucking pigs they wouldn't be tossing trash everywhere