what percentage of the teachers you had through high school, were really good ?

what percentage of teachers you had through high school were really good ??

• 75-100 %

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 50-75 %

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 25-50 %

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 10 to 20 %

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • less than 10 %

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

washamericom

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2010
what percentage of the teachers you had were really good, how many sucked?

Last edited:
I don't see it as a percent. Most of my teachers were good. I had two that were exceptional and am really grateful for having--my 6th grade science teacher, and my 12th grade Intro to Constitutional Law teacher who was also my school's soccer coach. They just had a way of making the stuff interesting where I genuinely *wanted* to go to class and learn. You can't put a price on that.

My only bad teacher was in 12th grade Econ. He was just all about rote memorization and regurgitation, basically just had Powerpoint slides he read off during class, and never really seemed engaged in actually teaching us--and I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I had a crush on my 9th/10th grade Spanish teacher, and also my 6th grade homeroom teacher who told me that I looked like her fiance when he was my age. :lol:

what percentage of the teacher you had were really good, how many sucked?

I have a hard time remembering any that sucked. I remember mostly extraordinarily good ones. I took my high school education very seriously, since I felt that any higher level of education was going to be out of the question for me.

Of the standard required "practical" courses (book-keeping/accounting, drafting, shop/woodworking/metalworking, biology, history/civics), all those teachers seemed just a little better than average and boring).

The one course which I did not make A's in (aside from phys-ed) was chemistry in which I only got a D. Had the chemistry teacher been as good as my other academic courses I'm sure I would've done much better.

In the more academic courses: Latin, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, physics I thrived, and those teachers were inspirational an made their classes stimulating to further work outside the classroom.

Our classes were large, seldom fewer than 30-35. The Latin, algebra, and geometry teachers picked out some of us who were very enthusiastic and sponsored additional class semesters beyond ordinarily offered with classes as small as 6 or 7 students.

I attended High School in the years 55 through 59. We didn't have middle school in those days, and grades 6 through 8 elected course's the same as the High-school kids with perhaps fewer electives/more required courses proportionally.

• Banned
it seems as if people remember the great ones and the shitty ones. is it safe to say the most fall somewhere in the middle of the bell curve?

Most were mediocre, and I went what was considered a "good" public high school.

Only 4 stand out as being excellent.

I had a few good ones....mostly young 22 to 25.
I had a shop teacher who was a machinist in the Coast Guard. Super bright.
I'm still in touch with my old biology teacher. She was awesome.
I had a great algebra teacher. Another female.
Most of the rest were fucking idiots.

You know the old saying. Those that can, DO
Those that can't....TEACH

Last edited:
I had one who changed my life...

A Math teacher who I was terrified of and hated. In 9th grade, I had marginal Math skills when I entered his Algebra 1 class. He never welcomed the class and never smiled, just taught the lesson. Somewhere during the year, it eventually clicked and it all made sense to me. I ended up getting 100 on the State Regents Algebra exam
Eventually went to college and majored in engineering.

Here is to you Mr Krish. :clap2:

it seems as if people remember the great ones and the shitty ones. is it safe to say the most fall somewhere in the middle of the bell curve?

Not in my experience. The great ones were truly amazing and the shitty ones were few. The rest of the bell curve was populated by those just slightly less than competent with an agenda that had nothing to do with actual teaching.

"Out of all of your teachers that I've met, I never thought any of them were smarter than me.".... My Dad, in my last year of HS.

Only 1 was exceptional. I had a couple that were "good", the rest were doing little more than time.

In the Navy it was a little different, but they were instructors, not teachers. most of them were very good.

All my college teachers lacked something, except for one, she stood head and shoulders above the rest.

I had a few good ones....mostly young 22 to 25.
I had a shop teacher who was a machinist in the Coast Guard. Super bright.
I'm still in touch with my old biology teacher. She was awesome.
I had a great algebra teacher. Another female.
Most of the rest were fucking idiots.

You know the old saying. Those that can, DO
Those that can't....TEACH

Pretty close to my experience. Of the excellent teachers I had, two are still in the education field. One is still a teacher, still slogging through the mess. Daddy left her a few million and her husband is worth more so she can be as cavalier about things as she wants. The other is probably the finest Earth Science teacher I've ever heard of. This guy literally gave Richard Feynman a run for his money at an informal forum they put together to put large concepts in the context that we could understand and thusly be inspired. He was so brilliant that he was told that his skills were wasted on us mere children and he's now some big muckity muck at the administration level. According to his peers and him he's not very good at that job but they won't let him go back to teaching. So now instead of doing the best job that he can actually educating he's being shuffled around as a problem solver, guidance counselor coordinator, grant writer, book picker, curriculum development manager, and assistant Superintendent.

What a waste.

The other excellent teachers I had that are still alive got out of teaching a long time ago. Too much effort for little to no reward. The ones who came from money are now running foundations bringing basic needs to third world countries. The others are in sales.

A Math teacher who I was terrified of and hated. In 9th grade, I had marginal Math skills when I entered his Algebra 1 class. He never welcomed the class and never smiled, just taught the lesson. Somewhere during the year, it eventually clicked and it all made sense to me. I ended up getting 100 on the State Regents Algebra exam

You've posted that you do pretty well financially. What size check have you written to thank him?

I had 6 exceptional teachers. 2 that deserved at least firing, one charges should have been brought for battery. The rest must have been ok, as I learned what I needed, but they made little impression on me. To tell the truth, 6 seems awesome out of 14, that's nearly 1/2.

You've posted that you do pretty well financially. What size check have you written to thank him?

My firstborn child and a keg of beer

My firstborn child and a keg of beer

Gotta admit that's a good joke. Kudos, RW. :lol:

They were pretty good teachers, Catholic school. I had a math teacher and a history teacher both were wonderful. I hated leaving them.

My math teacher's name was Mr. English. :)

Last edited:
Up until HS I had good to exceptional teachers.After JHS,not so much.I had to pick 10% for the poll because 0 wasn't an option.

They were pretty good teachers, Catholic school. I had a math teacher and a history teacher both were wonderful. I hated leaving them.

My math teacher's name was Mr. English. :)

That is funny.
:lol:

I had a Civics teacher in 9th Grade who told you from day one that you were gonna work like HILL to pass his class.

As a matter of course? His name was Mr. Hill...a retired military guy that served under Patton.

I'll never forget him. ;)

Forum List

Back