What Part Of Your Culture Do You Think Outsiders Frown Upon?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
This is a thread for you to explain what parts/elements of your culture that you believe or suspect outsiders frown upon or are disgusted by.

I'll start.

There's an element of British culture that is mostly unspoken, yet widely practiced, that outsiders are surprised by and tend to dislike.

Dog fighting.

On paper it's illegal but the police rarely take an interest in dog fighting. It's also very popular in Ireland.

What part of your culture do you think outsiders dislike?

When I traveled the world the most common term I heard............"That they wished America would mind it's own business".............

When I asked what specifically they never could seem to come up with an answer..............or it led to our military interventions across the globe............

I'd ask what specifically do you have against Americans in General.......and they'd stumble and leave........One question I'd ask, "what have I done to butt into your business............Umm umm and leave.

Do you think it was a valid criticism, though, Eagle?

We are a global power and as such have great influence across the globe with our policies as a result.

Militarily we have butted into the worlds business time and time again. Much of what goes on today are the results of decades of a Cold War between Us and the old USSR...............

It is all relative.

We are a global power and as such have great influence across the globe with our policies as a result.

Militarily we have butted into the worlds business time and time again. Much of what goes on today are the results of decades of a Cold War between Us and the old USSR...............

It is all relative.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but do you think it's a valid criticism?

When I traveled the world the most common term I heard............"That they wished America would mind it's own business"..............

I've heard a lot o people from different countries say just the opposite.

I deal with people from all over the world. The one thing they have in common is a universal dislike of the American concept of self defense. The reason why criminals are violent is because they expect to encounter violence from their victim.

It is all relative.
They hate the way we say we're a global power.

When I traveled the world the most common term I heard............"That they wished America would mind it's own business".............

When I asked what specifically they never could seem to come up with an answer..............or it led to our military interventions across the globe............

I'd ask what specifically do you have against Americans in General.......and they'd stumble and leave........One question I'd ask, "what have I done to butt into your business............Umm umm and leave.
No good deed goes unpunished.

I've been all over the world, and keep hearing how terrible America is from Americans, and yet I remember things I saw while traveling that would make what we do seem minor in comparison. Most people I talk to in other countries seem to like us more than our own liberals.

One day we were out training some Kuwaitis and they had their Jeep radio playing traditional Arab music. It sounded Godawful to me. All of that wailing and strange instruments. I told them "Damn,.....you music sounds funny."

They just said "Your music sounds funny to us too!!"

We all chuckled because it's an example of how we all grow up and become acclimated to the conditions we are surrounded by regardless how strange it may seem. People can get used to some pretty strange stuff that would appall your average American. I'm sure the same goes for them.

My post was an observation of what I encountered. Nothing more and nothing less. It in No way implies agreement.

Many foreigners are appalled by the ubiquitous obesity of so many American citizens. ....... :cool:

Yet, besides fast food, Americans have a very positive attitude towards food.

Even as an Englishman, I find it hard to disagree with foreigners when it comes to noticing how boring and uninspired our cuisine is. And the majority's attitude towards food is that it's just sustenance, not pleasure. This is strange, seeing as the French are only twenty seven miles off our coast and their culture and history is interwoven with ours. Yet the quality of their cuisine and attitude towards it couldn't be further removed from ours.

Forum List

Back