What old movies are you watching.

came out in 81 or 82

51PPEJHCV3L.jpg

still popular today

came out in 81 or 82

51PPEJHCV3L.jpg

still popular today
There're have been several versions of the film which were cut from the original 150 mins and dubbed in English, one for TV, BBC. The original German version with subtitles which won the academy award is by far the best.

came out in 81 or 82

51PPEJHCV3L.jpg

still popular today
There're have been several versions of the film which were cut from the original 150 mins and dubbed in English, one for TV, BBC. The original German version with subtitles which won the academy award is by far the best.

to many versions. IMO. the original was made into an English version call "the boat" which i have. originally released on VHS in the states I made a copy and like it far better than boot. I converted boat to DVD.

my fav Bogart flick

e85qmc.jpg

stellar performances by Tim Holt and Walter Huston (the director's father) got this one in my collection

Now Voyager, The Bad Seed, Jezebel, A Star is Born, The African Queen

The beginning of the 1961 movie "El Sid" starring Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren contains an effective depiction of Islamic fascism as it existed in the 11th century. The agenda of the current crop of Islamic fascists seems to closely resemble that of these 11th century fanatics.

Joe Pasternak introduced Casablanca recently with some interesting comments so I watched it for umpteenth time. Joe is so right about this film. Ever performance in the film is superb which is probably why most arguments about the film are weather it's the best or 2nd film of all times.

Casablanca probably has more memorable quotes than any film. Just a few.....

“…Here’s looking at you, kid.”

It’s still the same old story/ A fight for love and glory...”

“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”

“Just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”

“I heard a story once — as a matter of fact, I’ve heard a lot of stories in my time. They began with the sound of a tinny piano playing in a parlor downstairs…”

“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!” (The croupier hands him his money.) “…Your winnings, sir.” “Oh, thank you very much!”

And the last line of the movie, “Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

I think Claude Rains tongue in cheek performance as Captain Louis Renault was a real highlight of movie. His lines "roundup the usually suspects" and "round up twice the number of usually suspect" was just great.

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) starring Charles Laughton is probably the one I've watched the most times. Usually not a fan of old comedies but this one stands out as an exception for me.

Forum List

Back