What? No Recession???

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.polipundit.com/2004_07_25_polipundit_archive.html#109131299695043483

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    In constant dollars, 2001, the worst year of Bush's presidency, grew by .9% in spite of 9/11. The first and third quarters experienced negative growth; the first quarter could not have been affected by any Bush policy, and the third quater was, of course, when we were attacked by terrorists and the airline industry was effectively shut down.

We have had positive economic growth in every quarter since then. Recession, indeed.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Pretty weird, no? I mean with all the hype? :eek2:

5. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What about devaluation of US currency internationally? Is this taking that into account?

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The devaluation of the US currency is actually good for America. It makes our products more affordable to overseas customers.

During the last few years of the Clinton admin (1998 - 2000) the US dollar gained in strength and that shut down our exports and that is what caused the US to start exporting jobs. A weak dollar is better for exports. A strong dollar makes imports cheaper.

Again, eco 101.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It strikes me as odd that the only people who bring up actual information from actual econ classes are conservative, while ultra-libs only spout out how stupid those theories are and that they don't actually work. Well, I'll believe it when I see it taught in class. As for now, I'll believe Dr. Britton, seeing as how he's been teaching college econ since my dad took it.

However, I'd like to take this time to point out that the Shirefolk Party fully supports conservative fiscal policy, and, despite claims from the Nazgul party, does not offer additional funds to the fine ale or pipeweed industries. It is simply true that those companies incorporated in Shirefolk dominant lands do better, as the conservative policies of the Shirefolk policy do not place a heavy tax burden on corporations, that and the fact that Longbottom Inc. has been rated the #1 pipeweed in Middle Earth 10 years in a row by the Isengard Journal. In fact, due to stimulated economy, tax revenue increases have allowed us to offer an additional 35,000 scholarships to students attending colleges within the Shire, while another 20,000 pay for students to attend at the finest universities in Rivendell, Lorien, Gondor, and Rohan, so remember, a vote for the Shirefolk is a vote for the children, and you don't hate children, do you? I didn't think so, so vote Baggins/Gamgee in '04.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I have been trying to explain econimics 101 to all the libs today.

for example, somebody tried to say today, wow, a new study shows the rick are getting poorer (if that were the case, then J Edwards speech about two American is hogwash - as Obama pointed out earlier). Well, I tried to explain that they are "poorer" most likely because they are paying more taxes. From 1998 to 2000 many small businesses lost money. However, S corps like myself, continued to pay ourselves nice salaries. But since S corps are "flow thru" taxation corps, on paper, I was "richer" the last few years as my corporate "losses" offset my payroll so I "effectivly" paid no taxes. However, since Bush was elected and since he passed his tax cuts, I now am again making a profit. Since I no longer have losses that offset my gains, I feel the taxes and therefore, I am poorer this year than I was last, even though I am making more money. That might not make sense to liberals. But it does to those that have run a business and those people make up the bulk of conservatives. Since libs rarely run a business (other than for a VERY short time so some politicians - ala JF Kerry - can say thay have), they don't understand the tax structure or the realities of P&L statements.

9. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The sad part is that Democrats would consider this to be bad news. That and they will say that's not true and show "proof" (like Kerry's "misery index" that only shows a few things)

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,176
    I think the econ 101 is too tough for them. They cant even grasp High school econ.