What Nation was The Number 1 factor in Defeating Hitler's Third Reich?

My take on the OP is Russia certainly bore the brunt of the fighting and suffered catastrophic losses due to stupidity and a basic lack of care for it's troops lives. They squandered troops and civilians at a horrendous rate because they felt equipment was more valuable than people. However, the US truly was the arsenal of the allies, we mobilised the Russians with 600,000 trucks and thousands of tanks and aircraft along with the munitions and food to keep fighting.

The UK was secondary after the Battle of Britain which was a huge propaganda as well as military victory and oddball is correct the Germans themselves were also greatly to blame for their loss. As far as the US invading Russia after WWII, no i think it was the proper decision not to. I have no doubt that we could have won, but it would have been at a terrible cost.

My vote would go to Hitler's stupidity and the Russian Winter during his eastern front offensive...

... stupidity for welching on his pact with Stalin, and the waste of manpower on the Final Solution of the Jews.
:cool:

Last edited:
1. What Nation do you think was the number 1 factor in The defeat of Hitler's Third Reich?

2. Could any one single Nation of the Allies have defeated them all alone?

3. Should Eisenhower have listened to Patton, and pushed The Red Army completely out of East Germany?

~BH

1. Hard to say, Russia, Britian, and US did a lot to bring them down.

2. The US could have done it alone eventually...once we got the nuke.

3. "Pushed"? You mean start another war?

The Soviets main branch in WW2 was their army.

Americas main branch was their navy.

Our army was a lot better than their navy.

1. What Nation do you think was the number 1 factor in The defeat of Hitler's Third Reich?

3. Should Eisenhower have listened to Patton, and pushed The Red Army completely out of East Germany?

~BH

No one Nation beat the Axis. Britain held them up from 40 to 41. The Soviets bled them after they invaded and the US provided the extra manpower and the purse strings for everyone to finish them off.

I doubt one Nation alone could have won. All 3 of the Major combatants had negatives. Britain did not have the materials or manpower, The Soviets did not have the production capability to win alone and the US could not have easily invaded Europe from America.

If we fought the Soviets at the end of WW2 it would have required we threaten them with Atomic Bombs. I think threats could have gotten them OUT of eastern Europe.

~BH

No one Nation beat the Axis. Britain held them up from 40 to 41. The Soviets bled them after they invaded and the US provided the extra manpower and the purse strings for everyone to finish them off.

I doubt one Nation alone could have won. All 3 of the Major combatants had negatives. Britain did not have the materials or manpower, The Soviets did not have the production capability to win alone and the US could not have easily invaded Europe from America.

If we fought the Soviets at the end of WW2 it would have required we threaten them with Atomic Bombs. I think threats could have gotten them OUT of eastern Europe.

I know no single nation defeated the Axis. And yes, I think Atomic threats could have maybe pushed The Russians out. However by the time we dropped The A-bomb on Japan, Russia had already occupied East Germany. Maybe after we dropped it on Japan they would have believed it, but beforehand they would have questioned the new weapon. They also would gamble on us not Nuking any part of Germany because of the citizens and our Military in Western Germany. Course, Then we have Dresden where citizens didn't matter. Much different though. Good points. ~BH

In 1935, Germany introduced "Arbeitsdienstpflicht" as there was labor-shortage in some sectors of the economy.
It means: Every young female had to work for 3 years either in construction projects or in industry plants. The males for 6 months and after that they had to go to conscription.

06513312427971716325868.jpg

The ambitions of Germany exceeded the available resources (Human+Material) within Germany.
Important armament programs like the Plan_Z (Future Navy) could not be finalized either due to metal shortage or synthetic fuel shortage.
During the war, upgrades of military hardware also were limited due to the situation of resources.
The Annexation of Austria mainly happened due to Austria's iron-ore deposits.
Rearmament of all military branches of the Reichswehr proceeded under a strict regime of resource quotas. Quotas which didn't match the ambitions.

The Nazis were megalomaniacs, if Germany had the resources, it would've have put an invincible Army on the battlefield.
The industrialization of Germany during Hitler's reign is unmatched in human's history.

In 1935, Germany introduced "Arbeitsdienstpflicht" as there was labor-shortage in some sectors of the economy.
It means: Every young female had to work for 3 years either in construction projects or in industry plants. The males for 6 months and after that they had to go to conscription.

The ambitions of Germany exceeded the available resources (Human+Material) within Germany.
Important armament programs like the Plan_Z (Future Navy) could not be finalized either due to metal shortage or synthetic fuel shortage.
During the war, upgrades of military hardware also were limited due to the situation of resources.
Rearmament of all military branches of the Reichswehr proceeded under a strict regime of resource quotas. Quotas which didn't match the ambitions.

The Nazis were megalomaniacs, if Germany had the resources, it would've have put an invincible Army on the battlefield.
The industrialization of Germany during Hitler's reign is unmatched in human's history.

You neglect to mention that Germany did not enter full war production till 1945 because Hitler feared the people would revolt under the onerous controls that would entail.

Hitler, German Military Command, Germany, did more to win the war for the Allies than any other Nation, through Incompetence and very poor decision making.

Short of landing and taking off these Birds were pretty untouchable.

800px-Messerschmitt_Me_262_Schwable.jpg

The Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe ("Swallow") was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft.[5] Design work started before World War II began, but engine problems prevented the aircraft from attaining operational status until mid-1944. Compared with Allied fighters of its day, including the jet-powered Gloster Meteor, it was much faster and better armed.[6]

In combat, when properly flown, it proved difficult to counter due to its speed. Me 262 pilots claimed a total of 509 Allied kills[7] (although higher claims are sometimes made)[Notes 1] against the loss of about 100 Me 262s.[citation needed] The design was pressed into a variety of roles, including light bomber, reconnaissance and even experimental night fighter versions.

The Me 262 is considered to have been the most advanced German aviation design in operational use during World War II.[9] The Allies countered its potential effectiveness in the air by relentlessly attacking the aircraft on the ground, or while they were taking off or landing. Maintenance during the deteriorating war situation and a lack of fuel also reduced the effectiveness of the aircraft as a fighting force. In the end, the Me 262 had a negligible impact on the course of the war due to its late introduction and the small numbers that were deployed in operational service.[10]

The Me 262 influenced the designs of post-war aircraft such as the North American F-86 and Boeing B-47.[9]

Messerschmitt Me 262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Me262 at the ILA2006 in Berlin (original sound)

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, What Hitler did for the German economy was amazing. However, In regards to Industrialization, America was far ahead my friend. The German's beat us at putting Tanks out on the battlefield. Other than that, we buried them and everyone else in regards to arms. What mattered was American industrial capacity. The United States had a vast industrial force that could be mobilized quickly and was safe at home from enemy bombers. Oh and also, Take note of France, and how they didn't produce a thing. :eusa_whistle: ~BH

World War II production statistics of the Second World War: Aircraft, ships, fuel, food, rifles and other material."

Actually, What Hitler did for the German economy was amazing. However, In regards to Industrialization, America was far ahead my friend. The German's beat us at putting Tanks out on the battlefield. Other than that, we buried them and everyone else in regards to arms. What mattered was American industrial capacity. The United States had a vast industrial force that could be mobilized quickly and was safe at home from enemy bombers. Oh and also, Take note of France, and how they didn't produce a thing. :eusa_whistle: ~BH

World War II production statistics of the Second World War: Aircraft, ships, fuel, food, rifles and other material."

We crushed them in tank production as well. Germany produced 18,000 AFVs of all types from 1939 to the end of the war. We produced 55,000 Shermans alone. Add to that Tank Destroyers (M-10, M18, M-36), light tanks (Stuart series and Chaffee) the Pershing tank that came into operation about the time we crossed the German frontier etc.

We crushed them in tank production as well. Germany produced 18,000 AFVs of all types from 1939 to the end of the war. We produced 55,000 Shermans alone. Add to that Tank Destroyers (M-10, M18, M-36), light tanks (Stuart series and Chaffee) the Pershing tank that came into operation about the time we crossed the German frontier etc.

I stand corrected on that then my friend. I thought it wasn't until 1945 that they finally surpassed us, but I guess they really didn't. That link seemed to be missing our tank production numbers. Anyway, Man, if we get into the Naval production, it's insane what we were able to do. The Japanese were very efficient as well on a broad scale, but still nothing that could match us. ~BH

Could any one single Nation of the Allies have defeated them all alone?

Probably the Russians with the help of the cold winters could have...

... but it would have taken another 5 years to do so.

Could any one single Nation of the Allies have defeated them all alone?

Probably the Russians with the help of the cold winters could have...

... but it would have taken another 5 years to do so.

Maybe longer. The Soviets had us delivering trucks aircraft armor and more importantly communication cable. Those Artillery divisions would have been useless without our cable to communicate with. The Soviets had a technical problem and could not produce efficient cable until late in the war.

Further without any other threat Germany could have probably driven the Soviets to the Urals and kept them there.

1) Russia

2) Russia

3) By that time the Russian Army was too strong for the U.S. to do anything.

The Russians were broke.

They were running out of people. 25 million dead in the war.

Just the distance and the winters would have wiped out the Germans. We were at our strongest at the end of WWII.

I'm just glad we didn't have to find out.

1) Russia

2) Russia

3) By that time the Russian Army was too strong for the U.S. to do anything.

The Russians were broke.

They were running out of people. 25 million dead in the war.

Just the distance and the winters would have wiped out the Germans. We were at our strongest at the end of WWII.

I'm just glad we didn't have to find out.

We fielded over 100 divisions when one counts all the independent brigades and battalions. We had hundreds of ships and aircraft groups. The original plan was to field 200 Divisions but that was scaled back because there was no need.

If war broke out between the Soviets and us we would have been able to scale back production and recruit more divisions. Our goal was never to defeat the Soviets anyway.

Further we had the Atomic Bomb and they did not.

We provided almost every truck jeep and car they drove. They would have had to scale back tank production to make up the short fall. We provided food they would not have been able to replace with so many troops in the field.

During the war we provided them so much they could not provide it boggles the mind. The Soviets had men but without our production base and purse strings they would have had a hard time beating the Germans.

You are offering us Hobbsian choice here. I presume your point is that the Soviets contributed (read lost) more than the allies did.

That is true..so what?

Consider the meaning of the adage "For the want of a nail, a horse was lost..."

Depends on when you're talking about. Initially, before the fighting really broke out, back when the allies ought to have responded to German aggression and refutation of the Versailles treaty, I suspect Poland alone could have crushed the minescule German forces.

Later on, at the beginning (39-42 or so), it was touch and go if the combined forces would be able to defeat their war machine.

By about 43, I'd say that Germany was basically doomed to defeat.

Once the USA and the Soviets were really online, the Axis powers were doomed.

No.

That would have been a disaster for US, Europe and the Soviets, too.

Frankly I'm dubious that they could have pushed the Red Army out of Europe in 1945.

Maybe, if we could have produced enough fisisionable material to create a large nuclear arsenal we might have done it in 46, or 47 or 48 or 49 or maybe 1950, but I doubt it would have happened quickly enough to suit the troops facing the Soviets in central Europe immediately following the war.

~BH

1.The prime national influence in Germanys defeat was the United States. Without the United States, Britain could not have survived. We supplied fuel, ships and food to the Britain before our entry into the war and without these supplies eventual defeat was certain. Germany could have built an invasion fleet and crossed over and conquered them eventually. Russia was in a similar situation at the beginning of the war. Stalin knew that his country was in no shape to defeat the Germans, that is why he allied with them at the beginning of the war. Once Hitler turned on Stalin the onslaught the German army put on the Russians would have been annihilation if not for the US assistance to Britain and the eventual entry into the war and the bombing campaign. Also all the material suppied to the Russans helped them considerably. The German army could have marched to Siberia and met up with the Japanese. So without the United States, Germany would have ruled Europe and large parts of Asia and Africa.

2. Yes. Again it was the United States. At the beginning of the war we could not have defeated them but once we were able to change over to war production no one nation could have stood up toe to toe with the US. Look at the war, we fought 2, really 3 if you want to count Italy, major miltary powers at the same time during the war. What other country could do that. Russia only fought on one front, the Germans, Britain did fight on 3 fronts but they were marginalized in Asia and had no real impact on that theater.

3. It matters not who had the ultimate decision on whether to continue the war against Russia. Theoretically they should have been punished for joining Hitler in dividing up Poland but the fact of the matter was the American people were tired of war. We had commited a large amount of resources to the war and we had suffered many casualtes. The American people would not have wanted to carry on the war. They wanted it over. Could we have won? We acquired the A Bomb a few months after VE day and that in itself would have caused the Russians to surrender just as the Japenese did. In a convential war (without the A bomb) the Russians at the end had a sizable advantage and shorter supply lines so withouth the bomb victory would not have been probable. It would have eventually bogged down to a war of attrition somewhere in eastern Europe and millions more of people would have died.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back