What nation has the best health care

The one thing I never get from all the words posted in non-support of health care (insurance) reform is unenlightened. It seems the entire argument offered by the supporters of "NO" can be summed up in a few words or short phrases.
Not the Republican leadership, not the AM political philosophers nor their TV seers and not the trolls who learn from these totally partisan forces can give reason to support the status quo or practical alternatives to what clearly doesn't work; deniers, demagoguerers and denigrators all.

You should pay better attention then, huh? NO ONE is arguing there isn't a need for reform. THAT isn't where the disagreement lies. There are a whole slew of possible reforms that have been proposed, some of which have already been successfully done on the state level. Republicans in both the House and Senate proposed more than 50 ways of achieving real reform in specific problem areas. ALL of which have been rejected by this Democrat Congress. Every single one of them. Democrats don't have the votes even in their own party to pass their bills -so I always find it curious when critics start yammering about the "critics" when the critics are in the controlling party even!

The people you refer to as "deniers, denigrators, etc." that also include a lot of Democrats are a whole lot of people who do NOT believe the way to effectively reform the system is with a government takeover. Let's not pretend calling it "public option" changes what it is. This bs that a healthcare bill that no one has even seen and Democrats voted to NOT allow the public to even see before it is voted upon by Congress - will be entirely funded by weeding out fraud and waste in Medicare along with cutting 50 billion from the elderly just BEGS the question WHY that fraud and waste hasn't already been weeded out. What are they waiting on? LOL But in fact a Democrat Congress killed a program under Bush specifically designed to force competitive bidding by medical supply companies for all sorts of basic medical supplies that Medicare pays for -after investigation showed Medicare was being charged 2-3 times what they sell to everyone else. If Congress refuses to fix what is wrong with Medicare right now -then who in their right mind would expand the role of government further into healthcare?

A government takeover, "public option" or "government sponsored co-ops" all mean the same thing and the wordplay only fools the truly dense. But NONE of that is "reform". It is just a government takeover of a huge chunk of our entire economy that would permanently institutionalize the problems we do have along with guaranteeing a huge spike in corruption, waste and fraud that accompanies all government programs. France and the UK are considering privatizing more of their systems even while the left insists we need to imitate those failing systems! And reality be damned. It isn't as if there aren't plenty of examples in the world of why having a government-run healthcare system would be a really, really bad idea. In fact it makes me wonder about the intelligence of those who still push for it when the outcome of such a system is already known and significantly worse than what we have right now!

Government is already an insurance provider in the form of Medicare -but it is in deep financial trouble and scheduled for bankruptcy in less than a decade. Heard Congress talk about the need to fix THAT system first before expanding government's role even further into healthcare? They can't even do that one right but I'm supposed to pretend they can do the whole thing right for everyone? Get real. Obama wants to cut BILLIONS from Medicare -which can only happen by cutting SERVICES to the elderly. Gee, why aren't the elderly on board with that when the reason Medicare was started in the first place is because the elderly couldn't get decent insurance coverage in the private sector without it costing them everything they owned. As we age we NEED more medical care -so I have a problem with any notion that "reform" means denying services to the very people who need it the most in order to cover younger, wealthier and healthier people who don't. But hey its all part of Obama's great plan to fundamentally change our healthcare system from one that takes care of the ill to one of preventative medicine instead. Except for the fact that preventative medicine doesn't work, it is extremely expensive and a huge waste of scarce resources - and doctors aren't educated and trained to treat HEALTHY PEOPLE!

I heard someone on TV say Denmark's system isn't too bad. But government in Denmark looks the other way while doctors take it upon themselves to whack patients THEY have decided just don't have the "right" quality of life and the estimates of how many they kill every year keeps rising with a government that doesn't consider it to be murder if a doctor is the one murdering people. To the point that people who need to go to the hospital take a written directive with them FORBIDDING doctors from whacking them! Any system where people have to forbid their doctors from murdering them when they come to them for medical care, where the system assumes a person WANTS to be killed by his doctor unless he specifically states otherwise in writing - is one with far worse problems than we have! And not something we should even consider imitating.

There are two areas in particular that would go a long way to lowering healthcare costs and make healthcare insurance more competitive in both price and coverage offered. Democrats hate them both because both involve ending two of their strongest supporters making a real killing off us all -and neither involve government takeover of the entire industry. One is tort reform -states that have already done this have seen healthcare costs sharply drop after years of nonstop rises. There is something wrong when doctors must pay tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance costs every year just to practice -which means they must charge patients enough to first cover their insurance costs in addition to paying for their salaries and that of their staffs as well as all their other overhead costs. Those insurance costs have driven doctors to early retirement and into other careers -in addition to contributing to the 51% drop in applications to medical schools. But Democrats would rather allow trial lawyers to continue raping the system for their own personal benefit -and to the detriment of all the rest of us rather than allow ANY reform there. If a person receives their full economic losses in a medical malpractice, there should be a cap on the amount in punitive damages they can collect -say 3 times their economic losses in addition to their economic losses. Another would be to allow people to buy their healthcare insurance from any insurance company in any state that offered them the best price for the package they thought suited their needs best. But healthcare insurance is THE only product in the entire country that is NOT allowed to be bought and sold across state lines -and it was Congress that decided to forbid it. Why? It isn't because it would benefit individuals in ANY way -because it does not and adds an estimated 10-15% to everyone's insurance premiums due to lack of competition. Congress did it because the insurance companies lobbied them to pass that restriction so THEY would benefit. Interestingly Congress is claiming an authority to control the healthcare industy by means of the commerce clause -which allows Congressional regulation of interstate commerce of goods. But there is no interstate commerce in healthcare insurance or in healthcare. Healthcare insurance is an intrastate commerce only and therefore technically only falls under the state's control And your medical care isn't traveling from state to state to come to you. So the commerce clause actually doesn't allow Congress ANY authority whatsoever -and it appears that some constitutional issues are already in play here and that whatever Congress passes could likely end up being challenged in court as an unconstitutional overreaching by Congress.

So why does a Democrat Congress still refuse to allow any REAL reform in healthcare while pretending what they are drawing up in their 1200+ pages of utter CRAP intended only to expand the power of government but will do NOTHING to reform healthcare whatsoever -and insist it amounts to "reform"? No bill under consideration in Congress has a damn thing to do with YOUR "health" and sure doesn't have a thing to do with YOUR "care". What it DOES have to do with is expanding government power and control and that is why it takes more than a thousand pages to try and hide the real intent of their bills. How did the founders manage to write an enduring Constitution that is still in effect 240+ years later in just 16 pages -but Congress needs more than a thousand for a single bill? And the fact this Congress REFUSES to post these bills online at least 72 hours before voting on them -should tell you everything you need to know about this Congress. This Congress is CORRUPT to the max and intent on deceiving and hiding from the people what they are REALLY doing. And it is NOT healthcare reform!

It is why a recent poll showed that people believed the most pressing problem in the country was NOT our economy -in spite of an unemployment rate that is pushing double digits now. And did not believe it was healthcare. But the most pressing problem was the level of CORRUPTION and ethical problems that exist in our government. If I believe my government is being run by corrupt, unethical people (and like most people I do think so) -why on earth would I EVER want to expand their power and control over me?

To which country do most people from other nations go for treatment, when they can choose to do so?

Not the US.

Top Medical Tourism Destinations

You can have the best of medical attendance and service in good reasonable prices. Some hospitals have tie ups with various recreational s facilities to provide the patient some of the best times. According to the money you can pay the hospitals arrange for treatment packages. If you want to have a luxurious treatment, the hospitals of these destinations will provide you with five star services with a round the clock nurse.

The best known medical destination is Belgium. This country has doctors specializing in various medical fields such as health services, heart surgery, orthopedic surgery, cosmetic surgery, kidney transplantation and dental care. The treatments are not only world renowned and best but are also reasonable. You will get to have the best of treatment in budget price at Belgium..

Hey..I'm going to Belgium! Seriously. The US has very good physicians IF you go to the bigger hospitals in the bigger cities. i.e.-Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, etc... The best analogy I can think of is a balance scale--where there are peanuts on one side, and 50 lb weights on the other. At places like the above listed, you will get top notch care. BUT...when you travel to the smaller cities, and the more rural areas...my advice...pay very close attention to what is being done to you.

I've seen and heard the evidence. It just seems (no statistics to back it up, only personal observation) that physicians who are passionate about being a physician, and making a difference, are flocking to the teaching hospitals. They are the ones who became physicians, not for the $$$, but because they wanted to make a difference in medicine in the US. These are the hospitals which people travel to from abroad. We have some of the best of the best. And we have some that is borderline barbaric.

According to the article below, it is actually illegal for people in France to work more than 35 hours! The logic is that someone who is willing to work two jobs would actually be taking a job from someone who has none. As anyone can tell that if France had Americas work style the number of unemployment would be trough the roof. Also, according this article Americas unemployment rate at the time was almost half of that of France. Therefore, if the USA adopted their method for health care and as stated before that there would be much less jobs, our unemployment rate would be through the roof because we do not have such an absurd laws!

France: Less Work, More Time Off - CBS News

Of course, the result, that French live longer, healthier lives than we do is entirely beside the point. Perhaps if the Parasites in the management of our companies were to recieve compensation comparable to the counterparts in France and Germany, we might be able to give our working men and women similiar time off.

And no, studies actually show that Japanese-Americans have comparable life expectancy rates to native Japanese.

"Compared to their US-born counterparts, ... Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino immigrants had lower life expectancy" -Health, life expectancy, and mortality patterns among immigrant populations in the United States

No, it's not exact - the movement comes towards our poor health habits because as people begin to assimilate, they smoke more, and gain more weight. Risk for most cancers are increased from their native lands, even if lower than the US-born. In the period when an immigrant has access to American health care but has not yet delved into the culture, they're better off (the same study I cited above shows that as well). But assimilation yields worse health outcomes. It's our culture.

Your turn to cite something.

any response? no? anyone else disagree with the deleterious health effects of this culture?

And no, studies actually show that Japanese-Americans have comparable life expectancy rates to native Japanese.

"Compared to their US-born counterparts, ... Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino immigrants had lower life expectancy" -Health, life expectancy, and mortality patterns among immigrant populations in the United States

No, it's not exact - the movement comes towards our poor health habits because as people begin to assimilate, they smoke more, and gain more weight. Risk for most cancers are increased from their native lands, even if lower than the US-born. In the period when an immigrant has access to American health care but has not yet delved into the culture, they're better off (the same study I cited above shows that as well). But assimilation yields worse health outcomes. It's our culture.

Your turn to cite something.

any response? no? anyone else disagree with the deleterious health effects of this culture?

I doubt anyboy would disagree that Americans in general live less healthy lives. It is mostly by our own choices, though. Cubans and those in other countries do not ride in cars nearly as much, they walk, and they stay in better shape because of it.

There are many factors that are beyond the control of a health care system.

According to the article below, it is actually illegal for people in France to work more than 35 hours! The logic is that someone who is willing to work two jobs would actually be taking a job from someone who has none. As anyone can tell that if France had Americas work style the number of unemployment would be trough the roof. Also, according this article Americas unemployment rate at the time was almost half of that of France. Therefore, if the USA adopted their method for health care and as stated before that there would be much less jobs, our unemployment rate would be through the roof because we do not have such an absurd laws!

Of course, the result, that French live longer, healthier lives than we do is entirely beside the point. Perhaps if the Parasites in the management of our companies were to recieve compensation comparable to the counterparts in France and Germany, we might be able to give our working men and women similiar time off.

And the French smoke like crazy.

Yes, the French healthcare system is a very good one, and one we could learn from. I especially like the fact that their medical schools are free, so they have a lot more doctors per capita than we do. More doctors means lower costs for healthcare.

Few Americans have any actual experience with health care in other countries; ignorance has never prevented the usual suspects from offering their opinion.

canada, england, france, mexico, danmark, finland and the soviet union.......

you.....

Whatever my parents had, CAL Health Center, US Navy, and Kaiser for the past 36 years. I have no personal experience with health care anywhere else. I did need cough suppressent in France but simply walked into the pharmacy, looked at the clerk, coughed, and he gave me what I needed.

IOW...you nothing but a cheap hypocrite....

has never prevented the usual suspects from offering their opinion

And the French smoke like crazy.

Yes, the French healthcare system is a very good one, and one we could learn from. I especially like the fact that their medical schools are free, so they have a lot more doctors per capita than we do. More doctors means lower costs for healthcare.

Damn, you do talk a load of crap. The medical schools in France are not 'free', they are paid for by the taxpayer. Nothing in life is 'free', 'free' just means someone else is paying for it.

Dumb fuck.

Anyone who wants the French lifestyle (and having been there a number of times, I can highly recommend it as a fabulous country to visit) is very welcome to fuck off and live in France.

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

Good you figured it out. No country, not one, has free healthcare. There health care is paid for by higher taxes on gasoline, food, clothing, everything and anything, it's not free. Plus they have rationing that's why they come here to get needed medical attention, at least the wealthy ones do, the others die waiting for needed treatment.

First, why is it you Conservatives are constantly throwing up the strawman of 'free healthcare'? Of course it is not free. Nobody that is serious has ever claimed it is free. Tell me, when was the last time that you made a payment on a tank? On an F-16? You don't, you pay for these things out of your taxes.

They come here for medical treatment? Some very wealthy ones do, most of the rest go to Mexico, Belgium, Costa Rica, India, or Thailand.

But there is a additional point. If their systems are so bad, why do they live longer, healthier, and have much lower infant mortality rates than we do? And why do we have hundreds of thousands of families, 75% of them with some form of mecical insurance, going bankrupt every year because of medical bills? And they have zero, nada.

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

I pay in 12% of my employees salaries.They pay a flat 9%
They receive the equivalent of one months pay at the beginning of December as an Xtra bonus. By law.
12 days paid vacation from Xmas thru the first week of Jan. 4 more paid days at Semana Santa.... Easter.
If they're off for more than a few days the SS kicks in. If he gets injured and disabled I don't need to worry about my mailbox being flooded by Goldbergs and Silversteins, atty's at law.
The govt puts them on an assistance automatically.
They have eye, dental, full health care and free prescription drugs and free transport to the health care facility.Glasses are free.

See. You dumb fucks call it socialism.We call it Pura Vida.
Pure life.
One less thing to stress you out and make you into a junkie.

In this hemisphere the very best health care is in Columbia.Were I to need a brain implant or heart lung combo transplant it is where I would head.
For anything else I'll just hang here.

Last edited:

Good you figured it out. No country, not one, has free healthcare. There health care is paid for by higher taxes on gasoline, food, clothing, everything and anything, it's not free. Plus they have rationing that's why they come here to get needed medical attention, at least the wealthy ones do, the others die waiting for needed treatment.

First, why is it you Conservatives are constantly throwing up the strawman of 'free healthcare'? Of course it is not free. Nobody that is serious has ever claimed it is free. Tell me, when was the last time that you made a payment on a tank? On an F-16? You don't, you pay for these things out of your taxes.

They come here for medical treatment? Some very wealthy ones do, most of the rest go to Mexico, Belgium, Costa Rica, India, or Thailand.

But there is a additional point. If their systems are so bad, why do they live longer, healthier, and have much lower infant mortality rates than we do? And why do we have hundreds of thousands of families, 75% of them with some form of mecical insurance, going bankrupt every year because of medical bills? And they have zero, nada.

It's not about health 'care'. Private health care rocks. Competition between both methods of healing and physicians in general makes 'care' no where better than in America.

It's about the bureaucracy used to collect from folks when they're young, healthy and working to pay for the health care they are going to need when they are old, breaking down and living in Florida.

Whom do YOU think we should trust with our health and financial data - a middle class government bureaucrat or a million dollar insurance executive with stock options?

The biggest issue in the U.S. is affordable access. That is an issue that I think needs to be extracated from discussion of whether or not we have good health care. I don't think there can be much debate that we have pretty much the best health care in the world......once you get access to it.

Congress is most assuradely only going to make a bigger mess regardless of what bill ends up passing, even though there are a couple of fairly simple regulations that can be put in place to help curb costs. Like allowing national competition of insurance plans. Another would be instead of paying ridiculous premiums when most peope are only going to use their plans for the avg. flu, cold, bump or bruise. Simply have a plans that are for catastrophic issues only. Use an HSA of some type to cover your routine checkups.

There is the issue of principle as to who should pay for healthcare. I don't agree with a tax payer paid for public option or full blown UHC. The reason being that your health is an issue of personal responsibility and we all know what a fan the left is of personal responsibility. Tax payers should not be paying for someone elses triple bi-pass because you're a couple hundred pounds overweight. Yes there are also things you can't control health wise, that still does not give you the right to burden others with the costs related to your health care problems. Absolving people of even more responsibility, by taking away individual direct costs, is only going to hurt society as a whole, not help it.

Last edited:
US don't.

45,000 Americans die every year because of a lack of access to care.

They must be unregisterd or democratic voters since the Republicans don't seem to give a shit.:evil:

US don't.

They must be unregisterd or democratic voters since the Republicans don't seem to give a shit.:evil:

Again quality of care is different than access to it. I can't see how dems' give a shit either, because what is being shoved down our throats won't improve access.

Last edited:
US don't.

Again quality of care is different than access to it. I can't see how dems' give a shit either, because what is being shoved down our throats won't improve access.

What is being shoved down your throat is an insurance company lobbyist's dick.

And you seem to be loving it.

National health insurance works. That's why EVERY OTHER INDUSTRIALIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD HAS IT, AND WHY THEY PAY HALF PER CAPITA WHAT WE PAY FOR HEALTHCARE.

The rest of the world gets it. Why don't you?

Forum List

Back