What my dear old mom calls the two POTUS candidates ...

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
My dear old mom lives in Washington D.C. with my youngest sister there. My mom is 88 years old and dealing with Alzheimer's. My sisters and I joke with each other that someday we will probably each end up with Alzheimer's ourselves. From the time my mom wakes up in the morning, every day is a new day. She typically does not remember anything from the day before. It takes a really strong impression of some kind before she can imprint it into her short term memory, which her Alzheimer's has pretty much destroyed.

She remembers my sister and me, but not much about any of our other relatives. I call them on the phone periodically from the West Coast where I live and work.

When I called my dear old mom this morning, she though it was the weekend already because I normally call on weekend mornings. I told her that it was Wednesday today, and she was quite surprised. Anyhoo, you need to understand that about her to appreciate the rest of this story.

Politically my mom is GOP. She naturalized in the USA when Ike was running for POTUS and she loved Ike. She has been GOP ever since. My sisters are GOP too. My mom rubbed off on them. I am nonpartisan/independent. I have voted for both major parties and occasionally a 3rd party candidate too.

So in the course of our conversation I asked her if she had been watching the news lately, and she said yes, but she can't remember what has been on the tv.

I asked her if she knew there were two candidates for POTUS and she said vaguely.

I asked her if she knew who they were. She asked me for a hint. We play these games on the phone all the time when I call her. She likes these games. When her memory then kicks in from the hints, it gives her a burst of remembrance and she enjoys that.

So I hinted that one of them was a woman running for POTUS. Then it dawned on her and she said yes, she knows that lady from somewhere. I mentioned that the lady was the wife of a former president from 20 years ago. That did not ring a bell for her though. She said the lady seems nice on tv, just bossy.

Then in the game of hints that we play on the phone, I asked her if she remembers who the nice bossy lady is running against?

And she said, "Oh yah, that blonde haired idiot!"

:D

Last edited:
my mom is in the same boat.....when bush was in office...she kept saying out loud ....i wished someone would kill that sob....now bear in mind...she is saying this out loud in the middle of ft bragg main px....smh

My dear old mom lives in Washington D.C. with my youngest sister there. My mom is 88 years old and dealing with Alzheimer's. My sisters and I joke with each other that someday we will probably each end up with Alzheimer's ourselves. From the time my mom wakes up in the morning, every day is a new day. She typically does not remember anything from the day before. It takes a really strong impression of some kind before she can imprint it into her short term memory, which her Alzheimer's has pretty much destroyed.

She remembers my sister and me, but not much about any of our other relatives. I call them on the phone periodically from the West Coast where I live and work.

When I called my dear old mom this morning, she though it was the weekend already because I normally call on weekend mornings. I told her that it was Wednesday today, and she was quite surprised. Anyhoo, you need to understand that about her to appreciate the rest of this story.

Politically my mom is GOP. She naturalized in the USA when Ike was running for POTUS and she loved Ike. She has been GOP ever since. My sisters are GOP too. My mom rubbed off on them. I am nonpartisan/independent. I have voted for both major parties and occasionally a 3rd party candidate too.

So in the course of our conversation I asked her if she had been watching the news lately, and she said yes, but she can't remember what has been on the tv.

I asked her if she knew there were two candidates for POTUS and she said vaguely.

I asked her if she knew who they were. She asked me for a hint. We play these games on the phone all the time when I call her. She likes these games. When her memory then kicks in from the hints, it gives her a burst of remembrance and she enjoys that.

So I hinted that one of them was a woman running for POTUS. Then it dawned on her and she said yes, she knows that lady from somewhere. I mentioned that the lady was the wife of a former president from 20 years ago. That did not ring a bell for her though. She said the lady seems nice on tv, just bossy.

Then in the game of hints that we play on the phone, I asked her if she remembers who the nice bossy lady is running against?

You'd need alzheimer's to think Hillary is "nice". You'd also need it to like Ike, but I doubt she had it at the time.

My mom, also 88, has hated Trump ever since he ridiculed Carly Fiorina over her looks. She constantly asks why the Republicans haven't "done something to get rid of him". I have to keep reminding her that they've tried, but it's the voters' choice.

my mom is in the same boat.....when bush was in office...she kept saying out loud ....i wished someone would kill that sob....now bear in mind...she is saying this out loud in the middle of ft bragg main px....smh
I was in Korea Nov 22,1963 at breakfast in the mess hall. The speakers always broadcast AFKN radio. When it was announced Kennedy was shot and killed almost everybody cheered.

My grandmother, who is no longer with us, loved Ike and was a die hard GOP voter. She had old Eisenhower posters and campaign buttons hanging in her living room.

She collected small elephant curios and statues because it was the GOP symbol, and set them on the shelves of a display case.

Relatives and friends would give her elephants they had picked up while traveling on vacation. She had die cast elephants, carved ivory and wood elephants, ceramic elephants, and others, from many states and several foreign countries. ....... :cool:

My grandmother, who is no longer with us, loved Ike and was a die hard GOP voter. She had old Eisenhower posters and campaign buttons hanging in her living room.

She collected small elephant curios and statues because it was the GOP symbol, and set them on the shelves of a display case.

Relatives and friends would give her elephants they had picked up while traveling on vacation. She had die cast elephants, carved ivory and wood elephants, ceramic elephants, and others, from many states and several foreign countries. ....... :cool:
Ike was a hero and anyone in Europe or the USA worshipped him.

When the GOP put the brakes on 3rd presidential terms with the 22nd Amendment they shot themselves in the foot because Ike could have gone for 4 terms too just like FDR. Especially when you consider that JFK, LBJ, and Nixon who followed him were all inept.

You have my sympathy. That disease wrecks families. Terrible. :cry:

I was in Korea Nov 22,1963 at breakfast in the mess hall. The speakers always broadcast AFKN radio. When it was announced Kennedy was shot and killed almost everybody cheered.
When you were in Korea I was picking zits off my face and seeing if I could splat them on the mirror.

My dad was in Korea during 62 and 63. Back by November though.

In retrospect JFK was inept and almost got everyone in the Northern Hemisphere killed.

If the US Army in Korea already knew that then they were way ahead of their times.

New Topics

Forum List

Back