What murder/s case stands out in your mind and why?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i follow murder cases. i have since i was a teenager. i know why, too. as a teenager, i lived at ft bragg when jeffrey macdonald killed his wife and two daughters. i think the main reason it has been something i have followed is the reactions of the people at the time. to this day, it is a subject not talked about in my mother's home. i firmly think he did it...she thinks he did not.

Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald, convicted of killing his family, has new - Crime Library on truTV.com

so what murder stands out in your mind and why? it can be local or national or global.

Traces In Blood - The Girly Chew Hossencofft Murder

A look at the bizarre case of Diazien Hossencofft, a con man with the ability to convince his victims of just about anything. Hossencofft persuaded Linda Henning, a former fashion designer from New Mexico, that he was something other than human, and Henning started to claim that she was his "alien queen". We examine the relationship between the two and try to determine if it led to the murder of Diazien's wife, Girly Chew Hossencofft.

I watched the trial on court tv, Diazen reminded me of someone I knew. He was so evil and he smiled the whole time he testified describing really disturbing things.

OJ - I think that it opened Americans eyes to race in a way that we were not necessarily ready for. The stark contrast between black Americans reactions to the verdict and white Americans reactions to the verdict let us know that we still had a long way to go as a nation.

Andrea Yates - the absolute heinousness of her crime was mindblowing...and then watching her husband divorce her and, in essence, walk away and start a new life after the realizations that she had been getting progressively more and more insane after each pregnancy, her doctors were warning her and her husband not to have any more children for the safety of her and her children, and that her husband continued to let her get pregnant was, as a woman - tough to stomach.

This story didn't make the big news but quite a few years ago there was a couple in Queens, NY who reported that their baby was kidnapped. When detectived came to the house to take a report, things didn't seem right and then they found some blood stains. To make a long story short, police found out that the couple murdered their own baby and then to dispose of the body, they cut it up into small pieces and fed it to the dog.
Words just can't convey how horrendous that is. Detectives were stunned that the couple could commit such an atrocity and then sit calmly at the kitchen table and tell a story about an alleged kidnapping.
They were convicted of the murder.

Andrea Yates - the absolute heinousness of her crime was mindblowing...and then watching her husband divorce her and, in essence, walk away and start a new life after the realizations that she had been getting progressively more and more insane after each pregnancy, her doctors were warning her and her husband not to have any more children for the safety of her and her children, and that her husband continued to let her get pregnant was, as a woman - tough to stomach.

That was tough to stomach for a man, too. Another was Susan Smith who rolled her car into the lake with her kids inside because her boyfirned wasn't ready for kids yet.

Carly Brucia - The 11 year old whose abduction was caught on tape and she was later fround brutally murdered. My own daughter looks eerily similar to Carly and was around the same age at the time of her murder. We live only three counties over from where this happened too. I remember sitting in bed one night crying watching the news and praying they would find her alive.

Carlie Brucia - Murder Victim Carlie Brucia

Jessica Lunsford - 9 year old girl abducted from her own home, held for days right near where police were searching, raped by a pedophile and later buried alive.

Jessica Lunsford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was a time here in FL when it seemed little girls were being hunted and killed on a regular basis. I believe we had 4 murders, which were all particularly gruesome, within a 2 year period.

It made me consider leaving FL for my daughter's safety.

Two stick out in my mind.
One was Maryjane..mary ann,....somebody or other. The woman who put her babies in their carseats and then rolled the car into the reservoir. I have nightmares about that still.

There are a couple of others...Diane Downs, who shot her kids in her car, killing one or two and paralyzing the third. The attorney who prosecuted her ended up adopting the surviving daughter (the paralyzed one).

Then there was another one, where a woman and her lesbian lover threw her kids off a bridge here in Oregon near Bend.

Those are the ones that get me. The ones where children are victimized by the people they trust and love.

Susan Smith also sticks in my mind. I remember watching her on television pleading for the return of her boys and I turned to my sister and said "she killed them" Of course my sister thought I was insane until a it was revealed she actually had killed them. My sister asked how I knew and I said there was something missing from her eyes...pain....she seemed disingenuous.

Another, which isn't a murder but rather a missing person is Sabrina Aisenberg. I never understood how a baby just disappears into the night and no one knows anything. I still think her parents killed her.

Carly Brucia - The 11 year old whose abduction was caught on tape and she was later fround brutally murdered. My own daughter looks eerily similar to Carly and was around the same age at the time of her murder. We live only three counties over from where this happened too. I remember sitting in bed one night crying watching the news and praying they would find her alive.

Carlie Brucia - Murder Victim Carlie Brucia

Jessica Lunsford - 9 year old girl abducted from her own home, held for days right near where police were searching, raped by a pedophile and later buried alive.

Jessica Lunsford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was a time here in FL when it seemed little girls were being hunted and killed on a regular basis. I believe we had 4 murders, which were all particularly gruesome, within a 2 year period.

It made me consider leaving FL for my daughter's safety.

Those murders haunted me. I will never forget seeing the Carlie Brucia tape.

Nancy Bochicchio,and her 8 year old daughter Joey Bochicchio-Hauser were killed in the Boca Raton Shopping mall.

This one will always stick in my mind because it's not far from where I live and just as big of a mall is 5 blocks from me where my Wife and 2 year old son go occasionally.

This is the story of the mother who buckled in her daughter and when she got into the car a man was in the backseat with a gun, made her drive to an ATM and then to a secluded area, blindfolded and binded them and shot them both in the head.

Very sad

I was just having a discussion with my brother the other night about the state of the world, where children have to be so closely watched. He stated it is a sign of how horrible things are...but having worked with pedophiles and true monsters for at least part of my career, I pointed out to him that this is part of the human condition.

People who have been lulled into a false sense of security, who think it's a "safe" world...or indeed that it ever has been a "safe" world are deluding themselves. Think of the old fairy tales. The Big Bad Wolf who preys upon lone children and helpless old women. The witch in the gingerbread house who lures, abducts and eats children. These were cautionary tales for children to keep them from putting themselves at risk.

You do not have to destroy your children's innocence to take precautions...but parents shouldn't be naive themselves. I don't drop my children off anywhere. I see they make it inside the school. They don't and won't be walking anytime soon anywhere by themselves, even though we live in a tiny town.

I taught all my children....you do NOT allow any person to get within arm's reach of you. Sometimes you may have to talk to strangers for whatever reason...but do not make the mistake of getting close enough for them to touch you, and don't go anywhere with them, ever. Even if you know them. You come to me first. If you get any hinky feeling at all, you run screaming as loud as you can. If someone ever grabs you, kick t hem in the crotch, hit them in the adam's apple and dig their eyes out.

My dad taught me this stuff (he was special forces) when I was a tiny girl, and my fondest memories are of him teaching me to kill someone with the palm of my hand to the nose. It was a hoot.

It's never too soon to have these conversations..and to act out these scenarios with your kids. Practice really does make perfect.

And if you see something weird in your neighborhood, call them on it. I lived in low income housing (low income, HA! But it was very nice) and there was this single, middle aged guy who lived across my parking lot. He had a kinda hotrod pickup, and he'd squeal the tires in the parking lot and every kid 13 and under in the project would come running to see him, and see if he'd give them spins in his truck. They'd flock to his house for popsicles, for pete's sake. Is that normal behavior? I think not. I went to his house and told him so. I told him I get a very uncomfortable feeling watching a 40 year old man attracting flocks of kids to his house and his truck with high school tricks, and it made me wonder exactly what his motives were. I asked him if he knew what I was talking about, and he said "absolutely". I told him if I saw it again my next call was to the cops. He stopped doing it.

He didn't even question my concern, isn't that interesting? He knew exactly what I was talking about.

Anyway, my point is, be proactive. Don't count on only nice people to be hanging around, because I promise you, the scary people aren't the diminished capacity weirdoes in the group homes, who are watched 24-7. It's the functioning freaks who live two doors down or work at the AM/PM across the street.

so what murder stands out in your mind and why? it can be local or national or global.

The case that haunts me is one that never received national attention. A toddler was abducted from her family's apartment through an open window, while her sisters were sleeping in the same room, and then raped/murdered about a half mile from her home.

My daughter was slightly younger at the time, and the victim was a young cousin of one of my clients.

Horrible tragedy, still unsolved:

Rosie Tapia murder

Oh, I forgot the best part. I told him if I ever caught one of my kids in his company, ever, I'd kill him, no questions asked.

He quit luring kids to his house, dumbass. THat was the objective and it was met.

The Diane Downs trial. Downs shot all three children, killing one. She shot herself and pretended it was a car jacking by a 'shaggy haired assailant'.

All this was motivated by her desire to be with her boyfriend who didn't want children.

This was a local trial for me at the time. I remember helicopters going overhead looking for her when she escaped.

Last edited by a moderator:
i follow murder cases. i have since i was a teenager. i know why, too. as a teenager, i lived at ft bragg when jeffrey macdonald killed his wife and two daughters. i think the main reason it has been something i have followed is the reactions of the people at the time. to this day, it is a subject not talked about in my mother's home. i firmly think he did it...she thinks he did not.

Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald, convicted of killing his family, has new - Crime Library on truTV.com

Robert Lee Yates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Fuhrman who was involved in the OJ trial actually wrote a book about this guy or well the murders, I can't remember if he was caught yet when the book came out. Mark lives near I in north Idaho. Both OJ verdicts were also on my bday, wierd! Along with the sentencing to death of Robert Yates.
Yates also came through my line when I worked at this Kmart when I was right out of high school. I had to call when he got caught because of this, had no idea why it was important to them until it came out he was wrapping kmart bags around their heads.

Also strolling to bad you don't live in Seattle, one of the detectives from the Ted Bundy case teaches or used to teach a class at UW called murder 101. Washington and the Pacific Northwest has a higher number of serial killers then anywhere in the US.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back