What Movie Did You Like (but didn't think you would

I have really enjoyed some old westerns. I've seen some remakes of some of them, which made me curious to watch the originals, and some of them are really quite good. Like the one about the little girl who pays the bounty hunter to hunt down her father's killer? I wish I could remember the name of that movie, but it escapes me at the moment. Still working on my first cup of coffee. :coffee:

Among our favorite westerns, all old ones: "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (John Wayne), "Big Sky Country" (Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons), "Conagher" (Sam Elliott), "Open Range" (Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall), and now "The Quick and the Dead" (Sam Elliott)

I watched Dances with Wolves, and it was a really good movie, but a little sad for me with the wolf and the horse being killed by the "bad guys." :( Those parts were terrible. Funny that I don't seem to mind watching movies where humans kill each other but when they kill animals or children, it is pretty bothersome for me even if I do know it's just a movie. I just don't like to see that kind of stuff and don't like how it makes me feel.

I agree. "Dances. . ." is a beautifully made and directed movie, but when they shot the horse and his wolf friend, that was so emotional that it was the primary impression left with me with the movie and I did not want to see it again. If they had left that out of the movie, it would have been just as good and much more appreciated I think.

Of course, they do that on purpose so that you will HATE those "bad guys." It is totally meant to get a rise out of us!

But. . .if it keeps us from seeing the movie again, they miss out on a lot of royalties and advertising revenues. I won't buy that movie or watch it so. . . .

I now expect to hate and rarely see any of the 21st century movies--every now and then they come up with a pretty good one. But after the 1990's, it was all too much gratuitous sex, violence, mayhem, profanity, and special effects with almost no real sympathetic character development and lacking in great story lines. They really knew how to respect the audience in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's and there were some amazing directors. Now not so much.

I have really enjoyed some old westerns. I've seen some remakes of some of them, which made me curious to watch the originals, and some of them are really quite good. Like the one about the little girl who pays the bounty hunter to hunt down her father's killer? I wish I could remember the name of that movie, but it escapes me at the moment. Still working on my first cup of coffee. :coffee:

Among our favorite westerns, all old ones: "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (John Wayne), "Big Sky Country" (Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons), "Conagher" (Sam Elliott), "Open Range" (Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall), and now "The Quick and the Dead" (Sam Elliott)

I watched Dances with Wolves, and it was a really good movie, but a little sad for me with the wolf and the horse being killed by the "bad guys." :( Those parts were terrible. Funny that I don't seem to mind watching movies where humans kill each other but when they kill animals or children, it is pretty bothersome for me even if I do know it's just a movie. I just don't like to see that kind of stuff and don't like how it makes me feel.

I agree. "Dances. . ." is a beautifully made and directed movie, but when they shot the horse and his wolf friend, that was so emotional that it was the primary impression left with me with the movie and I did not want to see it again. If they had left that out of the movie, it would have been just as good and much more appreciated I think.

Of course, they do that on purpose so that you will HATE those "bad guys." It is totally meant to get a rise out of us!

But. . .if it keeps us from seeing the movie again, they miss out on a lot of royalties and advertising revenues. I won't buy that movie or watch it so. . . .

Well, I would probably watch it again, but just not those parts. It is a great movie, like you say. I completely agree with you though that it is upsetting when innocent children or animals get killed in movies. I try to avoid those types of sad things in movies. Too sad, and I don't want to sit there sobbing like a baby. :lol:

I now expect to hate and rarely see any of the 21st century movies--every now and then they come up with a pretty good one. But after the 1990's, it was all too much gratuitous sex, violence, mayhem, profanity, and special effects with almost no real sympathetic character development and lacking in great story lines. They really knew how to respect the audience in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's and there were some amazing directors. Now not so much.

Yeah, it seems that they are a lot less creative, doesn't it? Maybe they are too busy sexually assaulting the actresses/actors. :ack-1: Did I say that?

Yeah, it seems that they are a lot less creative, doesn't it? Maybe they are too busy sexually assaulting the actresses/actors. :ack-1: Did I say that?

Yes you did. :eek:

To me it looks like they've run out of ideas.

I just thought of another really good movie that had kids in the leading roles, and that was The Lost Boys. It had the two Corys in it (the one who died and the very strange one). All of the kids in that movie did a fantastic job though. Very talented kids, and a really good movie. I can watch that kind of "horror" movie. :D

I just thought of another really good movie that had kids in the leading roles, and that was The Lost Boys. It had the two Corys in it (the one who died and the very strange one). All of the kids in that movie did a fantastic job though. Very talented kids, and a really good movie. I can watch that kind of "horror" movie. :D

Kiefer Sutherland was great in that movie

Kiefer Sutherland was great in that movie

He was pretty young in that movie too. I think he was only like 20 years old.

Forum List

Back